IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #977 of 3,340
Well I never ever had expected to find myself in front of my peers so soon for more tales from the weird and wonderful world of tip rolling that ventures into the land of sketchy things go missing in the night, but here we are.

So if I find a shorter stem inserted and a deep inserted tip and filters get in the way then clearly there is only one answer.

Run the lower nozzle without any tip filter attached and install the supplied white opaque double flange direct on the lower nozzle. This only works due to the tip being a thin flexible silicone.

Comfort level 9000 achieved.
Even less of a filter due to literally wide open rather than a mesh grill.

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #978 of 3,340
Been doing a bit of A/B on the RAH and EE Legend X this morning.

I have the RAH on green/green filters.

Bass: the low end on the legend has a bit more body and can go a lower.
mids/vocals: I like the rawness of the RAH, while the LX are a bit smoother.
Treble: I find the RAH to present more details, probably due to the LX being more recessed.

Both are V shaped and have loads of bass. LX sounds slightly more refined. RAH seems like a winner to me at a fraction of the price.
Finally someone comparing it to legends!!
Was really interested in legies since i first heard them.
From what you and every other owner said about them i think it would be my cup of tea.
Reason being when you say the highs are slightly reccesed.
And knowing that i use red filter, and prefer a bit calmed down highs to push mids forwards. Legends seem like would be good adition if not repalcement to rah.

I like a good bass and really want to hear how 2x (9mm or 10mm?)dd compare to mighty 15mm imr pancake.

On a side note; while i do like aten+piezo hybrid more then said ba i heard in terms of highs. I would like Bob to experiment ditching piezo and dedicating something like estat for it.
Not an expert but would that make a difference you think?

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #979 of 3,340
Finally someone comparing it to legends!!
Was really interested in legies since i first heard them.
From what you and every other owner said about them i think it would be my cup of tea.
Reason being when you say the highs are slightly reccesed.
And knowing that i use red filter, and prefer a bit calmed down highs to push mids forwards. Legends seem like would be good adition if not repalcement to rah.

I like a good bass and really want to hear how 2x (9mm or 10mm?)dd compare to mighty 15mm imr pancake.

On a side note; while i do like aten+piezo hybrid more then said ba i heard in terms of highs. I would like Bob to experiment ditching piezo and dedicating something like estat for it.
Not an expert but would that make a difference you think?
To be honest, I would keep the RAH since it's such a great value with the loyalty discount. A used pair of LX will go for around $1400. That's about $1k difference and you won't get a 10% improvement.
One difference i'm hearing on Ozzy - Crazy Train track is the better separation on the LX. It's very busy and the LX can present everything slightly better.

I'm starting to question myself if it's worthwhile to keep the LX.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #980 of 3,340
So whilst the potential for a tip to be stuck in the ear is real by not using a filter it was an incredible successful experiment. I’ve now switched back to the black Zenith filter and removed the mesh screen. I hope somebody is willing to experiment with this, i now have back my missing 50% I lost after burn in. I believe at least for me that mesh is causing all kinds of problems. Just running wide open, no crossover and allowing the drivers full room to sing as they wish is the winner.

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #981 of 3,340
Bob hi again. I’m sure my chances are low but I have to request the Rah lower filters but with the design that will allow a tip to be secure straight onto that lower nozzle. My ears are super weird and I need the super short stem. Many thank you’s

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #982 of 3,340
So whilst the potential for a tip to be stuck in the ear is real by not using a filter it was an incredible successful experiment. I’ve now switched back to the black Zenith filter and removed the mesh screen. I hope somebody is willing to experiment with this, i now have back my missing 50% I lost after burn in. I believe at least for me that mesh is causing all kinds of problems. Just running wide open, no crossover and allowing the drivers full room to sing as they wish is the winner.
I can only assume things didnt go to the way you expected with RAH after burn-in?
What you don't like about?
I personally didn't like it much out of the box and had to ship it back to Bob for repair so I couldn't go through the burn-in.

Would be nice to hear what people experience during burn-in so I can understand what I will be going through when I get my RAH maybe near end of Jan

ON Side note! What do you think that Personal Build that bob posted in facebook? Think that is a sign for a custom build?

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #983 of 3,340
I can only assume things didnt go to the way you expected with RAH after burn-in?
What you don't like about?
I personally didn't like it much out of the box and had to ship it back to Bob for repair so I couldn't go through the burn-in.

Would be nice to hear what people experience during burn-in so I can understand what I will be going through when I get my RAH maybe near end of Jan

ON Side note! What do you think that Personal Build that bob posted in facebook? Think that is a sign for a custom build?

The Rah are exactly what I thought they would be. But out of the box they gave me way more than expected but they did need the burn in to smooth them out. After the burn in there was an amount of magic that went missing. I have zero interest in achieving a neutral flat this is how the music must be presented as is, I’ve been there chasing that dream and well, it’s boring. I’m interested in being fully engaged and entertained to put many smiles on my cheeeks, my audio nirvana and not the internets nirvana.

Out of the box they were incredibly expansive in presentation with amazing texture and detail. They were just a little rough around the edges.

They go through a phase of being incredibly rough, collapses stage, compressed, bright scratchy metallic hell.

Then they go the other way back to what they were originally but more polished as you would expect.

From there they never seemed to open up in the expansive way they were. Removing the black filter to blue filter which has no filter material opened them up but they can then seem a little metallic again. Then removing the mesh so the note is fully open has vastly opened the 3D stage and they image seriously more. They are now everything I loved out of the box but larger and polishedon steroids and everything that needed to be polished has been to perfection for what I’m searching for. I think people will say they are bright but it’s never painful sibilant or piercing. I’m going to be removing the mesh from the Aten and Zenith too.

I’m unsure on the personal build whether it’s a team effort to design 1 or 100 people can design their own. Honestly I can say I don’t need anything else now except for the shorter nozzles. 100 pieces of the personal build is going to be plus 1k after discount if the Semper are below 1k after discount and 150 pieces.

Hope you can get to enjoy yours sooner than later.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #984 of 3,340
The Rah are exactly what I thought they would be. But out of the box they gave me way more than expected but they did need the burn in to smooth them out. After the burn in there was an amount of magic that went missing. I have zero interest in achieving a neutral flat this is how the music must be presented as is, I’ve been there chasing that dream and well, it’s boring. I’m interested in being fully engaged and entertained to put many smiles on my cheeeks, my audio nirvana and not the internets nirvana.

Out of the box they were incredibly expansive in presentation with amazing texture and detail. They were just a little rough around the edges.

They go through a phase of being incredibly rough, collapses stage, compressed, bright scratchy metallic hell.

Then they go the other way back to what they were originally but more polished as you would expect.

From there they never seemed to open up in the expansive way they were. Removing the black filter to blue filter which has no filter material opened them up but they can then seem a little metallic again. Then removing the mesh so the note is fully open has vastly opened the 3D stage and they image seriously more. They are now everything I loved out of the box but larger and polishedon steroids and everything that needed to be polished has been to perfection for what I’m searching for. I think people will say they are bright but it’s never painful sibilant or piercing. I’m going to be removing the mesh from the Aten and Zenith too.

I’m unsure on the personal build whether it’s a team effort to design 1 or 100 people can design their own. Honestly I can say I don’t need anything else now except for the shorter nozzles. 100 pieces of the personal build is going to be plus 1k after discount if the Semper are below 1k after discount and 150 pieces.

Hope you can get to enjoy yours sooner than later.

Im using blue/blue filters now after more reading this thread and more listening. I’m tempted to try removing the mesh and damping material on a filter I won’t use to hear what your hearing.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #985 of 3,340
Im using blue/blue filters now after more reading this thread and more listening. I’m tempted to try removing the mesh and damping material on a filter I won’t use to hear what your hearing.

The mesh just pops off of pushed from inside and will go back on again as it’s not glued or anything. Well at least it’s not on the Zenith one. The material just pulls out and goes back in again too. All reversible.

For me everything is seriously 100% better so far. I do know it’s not for everyone but hey that’s why I suggest to experiment.

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #986 of 3,340
To be honest, I would keep the RAH since it's such a great value with the loyalty discount. A used pair of LX will go for around $1400. That's about $1k difference and you won't get a 10% improvement.
One difference i'm hearing on Ozzy - Crazy Train track is the better separation on the LX. It's very busy and the LX can present everything slightly better.

I'm starting to question myself if it's worthwhile to keep the LX.
Convinced

Waiting for Semper

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #990 of 3,340
Sounds best off my Hiby R6 Pro.

Sounds great too off my Chord Hugo 2, which has the same power output as my Hiby R6 Pro but is known for having cold tonality (~750mwn@32). Oh and it has that power coming out of a 3.5 single ended output.

So not source picky, just needs that power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back