IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #1,186 of 3,340
I still have good hearing and I want to keep it that way :)
So no, I have not tried giving it more power than my ears can handle.

I also like my hearing but I also accept it’s always going on the decline so I wish to enjoy music whilst I can.

I don’t ever try giving them more than my ears can handle. I’ve managed perfectly fine the past 25 years and still do perfectly fine now and the next 25 years.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,187 of 3,340
I don’t subscribe to the DB/SPL as a guide of how much power is required to achieve the listening level of below hearing damage. This is not a good indicator of powering them properly.
dB/1mw is pretty self explanatory though. What method would you use?

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #1,188 of 3,340
To be clear, I’m not saying I listen constantly to everything at that level.

I’m saying I can listen at that level perfectly fine and the Rah, Aten and Zenith can handle it fine.

The Zenith require it because of the paper sheet in the base so not as much SPL is getting through.
Perhaps Bob made changes to the dynamic drivers over time making it more efficient.
What i'm trying to get at is that the RAH can definitely handle more than enough power, and more than anyone should be listening at comfortably.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,189 of 3,340
dB/1mw is pretty self explanatory though. What method would you use?

I understand perfectly what it means. I don’t deny what it means and I accept what it means.

Saying I achieve 115db is not an indicator they are powered properly. It just means they are powered enough to achieve a certain SPL.

I have no method except of more power potential available the better.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,190 of 3,340
Perhaps Bob made changes to the dynamic drivers over time making it more efficient.
What i'm trying to get at is that the RAH can definitely handle more than enough power, and more than anyone should be listening at comfortably.

Well the magnets have been uprated on the DD but a specific driver efficiency only bob will know. Overall as more drivers are added the efficiency overall is going down.

I am listening comfortably.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #1,191 of 3,340
It’s not a question of do they need power, it is a question of how much power can they handle.
I'm quite certain they CAN handle a ton of power, I also know that if it push in the gain button they blow my ear drums out and I too have quite a bit of hearing damage. Too much time on Harleys and sticking my head right into the stacks at Ted Nugent & Aerosmith Concerts back in thee 80's.
In a quiet room I can still hear things other cannot but when background noise kicks up, I cant filter it out and man, that tinnitus is driving me nuts.... LOL

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #1,192 of 3,340
I'm quite certain they CAN handle a ton of power, I also know that if it push in the gain button they blow my ear drums out and I too have quite a bit of hearing damage. Too much time on Harleys and sticking my head right into the stacks at Ted Nugent & Aerosmith Concerts back in thee 80's.
In a quiet room I can still hear things other cannot but when background noise kicks up, I cant filter it out and man, that tinnitus is driving me nuts.... LOL

That’s it really, people hear us say hearing problems and assume what we can hear is somehow inferior and anything we do is automatically wrong and should be discounted. I too hear some things far better than many of my non hearing impaired people especially when it comes to music and audio but as you say when there is background noise and speech then it becomes a problem.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,193 of 3,340
I understand perfectly what it means. I don’t deny what it means and I accept what it means.

Saying I achieve 115db is not an indicator they are powered properly. It just means they are powered enough to achieve a certain SPL.

I have no method except of more power potential available the better.
How else would you measure power besides in raw dB?

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,195 of 3,340
Wait for it....

Every piece in this arrangement can be perfectly placed and picked out. Her S’s just barely touch sibilance, I run the Rah no filter material or mesh and it is just pass the sibilance test. The saxophone is sublime.

Incredible vocal

Just for fun

The guitar if filtered too much will sound super perculiar and unnatural losing the strings ting and be left with more of the pluck of the string overall getting lost in the backing vocals.

Who likes a little foray of tap dancing

Ultimately it comes down to this, no matter what we do or do not hear or how or what we experience in our music, if we’re here as bob supporters then it’s.......

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,196 of 3,340
Spiral dots turned up today so couldn't resist trying them out.

I like them a lot so far. I think more so than the earfits but will need to have a proper a/b with them when I have more time. Initial thoughts are less boomy bass, probably less slam, tamed highs and more detail. They seem more balanced than the earfits.

Have a great New Years. 2020 is shaping up to be very exciting (& expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back