IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #646 of 3,340
So what filter setup are you using? black/blue bottom with red top? or is that red/red combo?
I personally use blue bottom red top.
Black has a bit less mid bass so its purely prefferednce. They both push bass forward.

Also if you find Rah highs sibilant. It might be your source.

And got forbid if you are complaining about highs quality while streaming spotify or youtube lmao.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #647 of 3,340
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #648 of 3,340
Thanks, well I'm going to be a year with the zenith, is my iem of daily use, although I was already looking at an upgrade, and after reading lor reviews of the RAH, I will give a new opportunity to Bob.

I'm looking for more body in the middles, more soundstage with more depth, I hope Halcyon does this!

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #649 of 3,340
Its crazy hearing new perviously unheard details in music that I have been listening to and using as test tracks for years!
I think Im in love :)x

This is what has blown me away the most about these. They ate up my test tracks.

I can easily say that these are the best headphones I own after my stax which are non portable and were 4-5 x the price. This is a new plateau and I'll be getting rid of a lot of my iems that don't reach these heights.

After I ordered the halycon I nearly purchased the aten red as it is a decent price with code. I was pondering them or the shuoer tape as I am interested to hear in ear electrostats. But now I am considering putting that money towards the phase instead. It sounds like an interesting set up & I am intrigued to hear the bass 2 aten drivers could pump out.

Probably the best ever psy trance set I’ve ever heard.

That was amazing with the rahs. Gotta say they are great for edm.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #650 of 3,340
An interesting point. As a 'traditional audiophile' I lOVE the Rah's and am very satisfied with the sound Buttt.... I would say that around 35% of the time I do find there to be a bit too much emphasis on the bass. the bass itself, the texture, timbre is superb but if there is even the slightest emphasise with the low end in the mix of a song then the Rah's do tend to grab onto it and party with it. I can just about get a balanced sound with pink/gold and foam tips though so I wouldn't say it is an 'issue' for me :)
I do find it a bit of a shame that Bob pushes his 'bass head' love into his IEM's. On the other hand I very much admire his tuning and the low end is Very very well implemented. I just wish there could be one IEM or a tuning that could be dedicated to would give a slightly more balanced option but as I say its only sometimes that i find the bass a little too intrusive...or better to say it makes itself known.
He could quite easily make an incredible [in the purest sense of the word] 'Audiophile' IEM.
Anyway, in way complaining...jst thought it was an interesting point/thought

As burn in continues...the low end is getting tighter and Im finding the mids in particular and the separation and imaging getting more refined, cleaner and bigger. Highs also getting a bit airier. Very nice :)

I believe the Halcyon is Bob's answer to try to cater to a different niche that prefers a inverted V shape type frequency response. He is trying, just that it takes longer to implement when your ears hear a slight v frequency response to be best (most people prefer slight V's).

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #651 of 3,340
That was amazing with the rahs. Gotta say they are great for edm.

You’re welcome. I awoke this morning and put the Rah’s straight in and did not leave my bed until I had listened to this set again lol.

Check out Boom Festival 2018, Ace Ventura has a 5 hour set but it’s a middle of the day set not closing so it has a 5 hour progression and not a closing style set. I’ve listened to a lot of the boom festival sets and they all sound good considering YouTube.

I have to be clear though I do not like EDM, that to me is a specific sub genre. I’m old school so to me I like Electronic music.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #652 of 3,340
After I ordered the halycon I nearly purchased the aten red as it is a decent price with code. I was pondering them or the shuoer tape as I am interested to hear in ear electrostats. But now I am considering putting that money towards the phase instead. It sounds like an interesting set up & I am intrigued to hear the bass 2 aten drivers could pump out.

So basically, you desire every IMR model plus another (traitor, joke :wink:) companies IEM and and and more. Do it !!!!!

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #653 of 3,340
You’re welcome. I awoke this morning and put the Rah’s straight in and did not leave my bed until I had listened to this set again lol.

Check out Boom Festival 2018, Ace Ventura has a 5 hour set but it’s a middle of the day set not closing so it has a 5 hour progression and not a closing style set. I’ve listened to a lot of the boom festival sets and they all sound good considering YouTube.

I have to be clear though I do not like EDM, that to me is a specific sub genre. I’m old school so to me I like Electronic music.
I like ace ventura too. And mainly listen to Electronic music. Not the pop stuff. But anything from psychill to hardstyle. The only thing i cannot do personally is listen that music on iems through streaming. All my recent 2 year stuff is lossless the older is 320mp3.
So going from 1440 kbps to sub 200 kbps just loses too much of that sense of space and detail.

Specially with Rah now. They are so revealing when playing lossless. And the imaging and soundstage is insanely good.

I dont mind playing youtube on my KRK rokit 10 pair.
But iems just loses too much.

As you guys said. I am now rediscovering my existing tracks lol

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #654 of 3,340
I like ace ventura too. And mainly listen to Electronic music. Not the pop stuff. But anything from psychill to hardstyle. The only thing i cannot do personally is listen that music on iems through streaming. All my recent 2 year stuff is lossless the older is 320mp3.
So going from 1440 kbps to sub 200 kbps just loses too much of that sense of space and detail.

Specially with Rah now. They are so revealing when playing lossless. And the imaging and soundstage is insanely good.

I dont mind playing youtube on my KRK rokit 10 pair.
But iems just loses too much.

As you guys said. I am now rediscovering my existing tracks lol

I do agree with you skullar yet I own nothing in lossless and whilst I used to stream soundcloud and mixcloud the point of how resolving my idio has become put an end to streaming a year ago and find YouTube to be the best streaming quality to use the one that works the best out of a bad bunch.

Always loved rediscovering my music and why I trust the one named Bob as every iteration has me rediscovering the music and your earlier comment hit the nail on the head perfectly, “the Rah just eats up our test tracks”. Need we say anymore.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #656 of 3,340

It's funny you say that as I was gonna put electronic music as I prefer it to edm too as most of the electronic music I listen to isn't dancy. I always imagine I must be much older than most people on here for some reason.

Cheers for the recommendation. I've been introduced to some great stuff on here. 5 hour set wow will check that out when I'm at work.

The biggest test a headphone has for me is how well they play Boards of Canada as I listen to them more than anything else. For the last hour ive been a/b ing these and the aten with BoC.

The extra mid clarity is making such a difference & helps the soundstage & placement improve over the aten. The mids are deeper too which helps add texture to the low end I think. I'm probably not explaining that very well.
The aten have slightly more slam but the rah has plenty. For some reason, I think it is the mid end picking up the ends of the low end so well, every now and again certain percussion bits have an almost physical sensation. These bits sound good on the aten but don't give that sensation.

I'm still on black/ black filters. Aten has R1 black filter which I find the slammiest of all the filters. I'll try them on the rah.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #657 of 3,340
Damn I wonder if canadian border agencies are holding my shipment hostage !!!!! :frowning2:

Only thing I can do is just baby my zenith during work and hope that Rah will come this week

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #658 of 3,340
It's funny you say that as I was gonna put electronic music as I prefer it to edm too as most of the electronic music I listen to isn't dancy. I always imagine I must be much older than most people on here for some reason.

Cheers for the recommendation. I've been introduced to some great stuff on here. 5 hour set wow will check that out when I'm at work.

The biggest test a headphone has for me is how well they play Boards of Canada as I listen to them more than anything else. For the last hour ive been a/b ing these and the aten with BoC.

The extra mid clarity is making such a difference & helps the soundstage & placement improve over the aten. The mids are deeper too which helps add texture to the low end I think. I'm probably not explaining that very well.
The aten have slightly more slam but the rah has plenty. For some reason, I think it is the mid end picking up the ends of the low end so well, every now and again certain percussion bits have an almost physical sensation. These bits sound good on the aten but don't give that sensation.

I'm still on black/ black filters. Aten has R1 black filter which I find the slammiest of all the filters. I'll try them on the rah.

I do prefer the dancey electronic but open to any.

I’m probably not the oldest around here but if asked my age I pause to think to work it out age lol.

You explain it exceptionally well as that’s exactly my thoughts about them.

I use on the Aten the Zenith black filter which I believe is the equivalent to Aten black lower blue upper. This is for a better fit for them to disappear from my ears and I needed to use the Aten black lower and gold upper on the Zenith. Yes still on black black on Rah too with zero desire to change because it’s so good for my tastes and then see how they sound in a couple of weeks or so.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #659 of 3,340
I do agree with you skullar yet I own nothing in lossless and whilst I used to stream soundcloud and mixcloud the point of how resolving my idio has become put an end to streaming a year ago and find YouTube to be the best streaming quality to use the one that works the best out of a bad bunch.

Always loved rediscovering my music and why I trust the one named Bob as every iteration has me rediscovering the music and your earlier comment hit the nail on the head perfectly, “the Rah just eats up our test tracks”. Need we say anymore.
Well dont get me wrong i just stated my prefference. After all youtube and spotify are there to be used. And there are people who simply dont hoard music like i do, so if youre in the office and want some background music. Why not.

I though youtube is worse in terms of quality? But i listened to spotify very briefly so i cannot compare.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #660 of 3,340
Did you mail bob? I bet something is wrong, this ain’t sibilant at all, I’m using blue and blue, which is basically open filter with a bit of porting in the base and not founding any harsh peaks

I won't email Bob. I also think the Aten are sibilant, and for instance Crinacle also had a similar opinion. We don't all share the same ears, age and tastes, so nobody is right or wrong here, only some major and minor opinions to be shared.

I did not find the Zenith sibilant with the stock big silicon tips, but I do find the Aten and Rah sibilant and/or too bright with the same tips.

Some people love the black and or blue filters; I can't find such combination enjoyable at all.

Moving forward on a positive manner, I found that Comply tips work very well with the Rah for me, as they do with the Sony EX1000 in my case (the IMR foam tips did not work well for me).

So right now I'm enjoying the Rah with the purple base filter (red starts to be too much bass for me) and green top filter with Comply tips. This combination sounds really good to me and I will keep testing the Rah with it. Next I will buy some L size Spiral Dots and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back