IMR - R1 Thread
May 27, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #2,762 of 3,190
I will compare them as soon as I get them :) I hope they will arrive this week .
I have to go to Denmark for week at Sunday.
So we meet again!

I'm also interested in your opinion. I've got a set of R2 on order. Have a great trip!

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #2,764 of 3,190
Has anyone compared the Zenith with Campfire audio Atlas in terms of Bass and Soundstage? On reading reviews, it sounds like the Zenith has a wider soundstage? I guess the Atlas will have more detail and sound more refined, yet if the bass is similar, am wondering if at over twice the price the Atlas is worth it?
My over ears are HD800s which I love for the bass and the huge detailed soundstage. If I could get that in an iem it would be end game.

I haven't compared with the Zenith (yet) but I have demoed the Atlas recently (couple weeks ago) vs the R1, so I think the comparison between R1 and R1Z is probably somewhat close in terms of certain things.

You are correct, the Atlas I found had more detail retrieval, and was pretty thick in its presentation. it digs down low for sure, and was very warm overall. Highs were very smooth, and just overall has a very powerful sound to it.
When I put my R1 back in, I found that overall it was thinner in its presentation. Mids were more recessed (though not a huge amount), highs weren't quiiiiite as smooth but the bass was still very much present, if not a bit less controlled than the Atlas. That said, the R1Z is proclaimed to be the R1 perfected, so I imagine it will get a fair deal closer to the Atlas as far as all the things I've already mentioned. This obviously also comes with the caveat of which filter you use with the IMR.

I just snagged a set of R1Z for $300 with loyalty code (Used - Good). If it is even 75% of the Atlas I will consider that huge since the Atlas is 3 times that price (CAD). Ultimately though, I prefer the ability to switch out the filters, so this is a big plus to the IMR. I also found the Atlas very heavy in my ears and found it tough to seat with several different eartips. Obviously this was just my experience, so ymmv, but my opinion is that the Atlas would be a good buy in the $700-800 range CAD.. the value buy is the IMR 100%

Are the Atlas better sounding? Yes. Definitely. Its just a more complete experience and the sound is fuller. Whether that is worth the price premium is up for the buyer. I would really like to see how the R1 stacks up versus the Vega though personally, as the Vega is said to be an awesome option for low end AND comfort compared to the Atlas.

Okay, enough of my rambling.

May 31, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,765 of 3,190
So I'm not sure What happened with my original IMR order.. when I ordered the R1 initially (as I mentioned earlier in the thread) it took months for it to arrive.

last week I ordered a set of the R1 Zenith and not a week later they have arrived and I'm listening to them as I type. Canada Customs must have dropped the R1 behind a furnace somewhere only to find them months later and deliver them I guess - not so this time!

The R1Z are definitely different beasts- I was under the impression they would be mostly like the R1, but honestly they are more different then I would have anticipate, right down to the fit. The tips I use with the R1 dont work for me with the Zenith, for starters.. but beyond that, the sound is quite different as well. Still prominent bass, large soundstage etc, but I find that the mids are more forward and its not as overall laid back as the R1. Not necessarily good or bad, but different.. My set are used, so not sure how many hours of burn in these have, but they are in like new condition for sure. Just happy to have them in hand though honestly, and at the price I paid they are a bloody steal.. was preparing myself for another long summer waiting on them!

Jun 3, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #2,766 of 3,190
Bob is an amazing man with a passion. He shares that passion with us. For small profit. It is a boutique buisness. Bob just refunded me without question.. simply because I can not return to the U.K to pick up the package due to work restrictions in Nepal. So kind. He did not have to do that. He did that because he is a good person.
Just wanted to share that.

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,768 of 3,190
Just on time, I have posted my full written review of the IMR R1 Zenith :)

Quite an interesting IEM if I can say so myself, and look, it even made it to Audiophile-Heaven's Hall Of Fame!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/06/liquid-ceramic-flow-imr-r1-zenith-iems.html

IMR-R1-Zenith-Tunable-Customisable-IEMs-Earphones-In-Ears-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-20.jpg

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #2,771 of 3,190
Y'all are killing me. Please don't make the wait for the R2s any worse LOL. LG G8 ThinQ, Mojo plus R2s in the next month; should be fun!

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #2,772 of 3,190
Y'all are killing me. Please don't make the wait for the R2s any worse LOL. LG G8 ThinQ, Mojo plus R2s in the next month; should be fun!
I know your feelings :D
Have the r1 zenith waiting at home and the Solaris on the way ... will be like (audiophile) x-mas to coming home on Saturday :D

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #2,773 of 3,190
I know your feelings :D
Have the r1 zenith waiting at home and the Solaris on the way ... will be like (audiophile) x-mas to coming home on Saturday :D
Let us know how they compare once you have tried them both out.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #2,775 of 3,190
anyone care to comment on which ear tips you're using for the Zenith? I recently grabbed some accoustune tips (L) that work wicked with the R1, but don't seem to work at all for me with the Zenith. I'm eyeballing some spinfits as well, but unsure.

So far I've tried Mandarins, Accoustune, Flare Foam, and the included tips with the Zenith but can't seem to find a solid fit with any of them. I have spiral dot which fit the best, but don't like what the wide bore does for these IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back