IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 14, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2,131 of 3,190
I just received mine and these are wonderful... :open_mouth:

Thanks Bob, you have fulfilled your promise !!

Do you live outside of the UK?

I'm still yet to receive mine but his last email said "Tomorrow I will start shipping your replacement units.....It will take me a few days to get them all shipped and personally checked by me so hang in there." which leads me to believe he's doing them in batches and not sent the entirety of the replacements in one day as someone previously suggested. It would be useful to know when he's shipped the last batch though.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #2,132 of 3,190
Do you live outside of the UK?

I'm still yet to receive mine but his last email said "Tomorrow I will start shipping your replacement units.....It will take me a few days to get them all shipped and personally checked by me so hang in there." which leads me to believe he's doing them in batches and not sent the entirety of the replacements in one day as someone previously suggested. It would be useful to know when he's shipped the last batch though.

I live in Spain, I guess Bob sent it in batches and in the next few days you will receive it

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #2,133 of 3,190
IMG_20190214_140906.jpg The replacement with the balanced cable has arrived in Spain, I will try it these days to see its sound.

Feb 14, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #2,135 of 3,190
I'm eagerly waiting for my Zenith replacement, as the one I have still has sq issues. Even after flipping the connector and restoring the proper phase, I still feel that certain frequencies (mid-highs, highs) come out too harsh, whereas others (mids) are too punchy. In any case, still behind my old R1 which I now regret having sold when I got the tracking number.
I don't want to unduly get your hopes up but I think you won't be disappointed :wink:
Like yours my first Zenith were probably already in phase as, once the tip situation was sorted out, I didn't identify any of the typical issues reported on out-of-phase units. That being said, I only ever listened to them to try and make sure they worked properly. It verged on greatness but something was amiss. I received the replacement earpieces yesterday, listened to the first-batch Zenith for ten minutes before plugging in the replacement Zenith, and, well - let's just say I didn't feel like going back to the first-batch ones. In fact, after a handful of tracks I started venturing out of my Audio playlist and towards songs I just love to listen to, so sure was I that things were working correctly, and so great and immediate was my aural satisfaction!

They do hit harder than the R1 I find, not in physical impact, but through a more aggressively detailed tuning, with more of an emphasis on mids, especially upper-mids. This with the black filters. I'm not feeling fatigue though, it's quite expertly done. Opening the ports also makes a bigger difference this time around. Not quite open-back-like, but very close. All in all these sound very much in line with what Bob advertised: more precision, tamed bass, and an even bigger sound stage.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,136 of 3,190
I don't want to unduly get your hopes up but I think you won't be disappointed :wink:
Like yours my first Zenith were probably already in phase as, once the tip situation was sorted out, I didn't identify any of the typical issues reported on out-of-phase units. That being said, I only ever listened to them to try and make sure they worked properly. It verged on greatness but something was amiss. I received the replacement earpieces yesterday, listened to the first-batch Zenith for ten minutes before plugging in the replacement Zenith, and, well - let's just say I didn't feel like going back to the first-batch ones. In fact, after a handful of tracks I started venturing out of my Audio playlist and towards songs I just love to listen to, so sure was I that things were working correctly, and so great and immediate was my aural satisfaction!

They do hit harder than the R1 I find, not in physical impact, but through a more aggressively detailed tuning, with more of an emphasis on mids, especially upper-mids. This with the black filters. I'm not feeling fatigue though, it's quite expertly done. Opening the ports also makes a bigger difference this time around. Not quite open-back-like, but very close. All in all these sound very much in line with what Bob advertised: more precision, tamed bass, and an even bigger sound stage.
Thanks for your very exhaustive reassurances! Now I'm even more eagerly waiting for them .I will definitely follow your suggestions, thanks again!

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #2,137 of 3,190
I would imagine you could get most of it with brasso or some kind of stronger metal polisher. You could probably do it without taking them apart too but it would take alot of patience. I bet it could be done. Although, I do really recommend getting a Dremel tool. You can get one with the starter kit for around 60 US dollars. You'll end up using it more than you'd think...

That's exactly the problem man! I have already a lot of hobbies, where from time to time I spend a lot of money/time, and I already know that dremel could just make things "worse" :D
Btw, do you think that I can polish them without removing the L/R sign and logo on them?

Thanks!

My Zenith has around 150hrs of burn in now. Have not gotten the replacement yet. I did flipped the pin on the right side around. In doing so, I had to resoldered both wires as they broke on me. Worked out ok though. The left side still has extreme driver flex. Sound quality seems much better than before.

Same impression here! Even if some tracks are still sounding "weird".

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #2,138 of 3,190
Are the new batches plagued with channel imbalance as well?

The initial batch zenith i received has managed to bring out my OCD, i had to reduce the right channel by a whopping 3db to cure it..

If there were no channel imbalance, i am really preferring the Zeniths over all my current gear.

Here are some additional information about the included filters which was not mentioned on the filter faq slip included:
Black : causes Driver flex
pink : no driver flex
blue: peaks present no driver flex
orange : no driver flex
copper : Why did this even exist? and causes Driver flex. Its either i got a defective filter or the whole spectrum is muffled with some mids coming through.

Have fun listening guys!

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #2,139 of 3,190
That's exactly the problem man! I have already a lot of hobbies, where from time to time I spend a lot of money/time, and I already know that dremel could just make things "worse" :D
Btw, do you think that I can polish them without removing the L/R sign and logo on them?

Thanks!.

I wondered that too initially but it the vent symbol, left and right still look good and unfaded. I know what you mean by too many hobbies. I think I originally got the Dremel tool a few years ago to make a dragon glass (obsidian) knife handle lol! I've used it countless times since... the dremel not dragon glass knife. No white walkers this far south of the wall :dagger:

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #2,140 of 3,190
I'm gonna take them fully apart and dip them in some gold plating, gold plating increases the base response if the whole IEM is dipped including the tips. Foams only tho.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,141 of 3,190
I wondered that too initially but it the vent symbol, left and right still look good and unfaded. I know what you mean by too many hobbies. I think I originally got the Dremel tool a few years ago to make a dragon glass (obsidian) knife handle lol! I've used it countless times since... the dremel not dragon glass knife. No white walkers this far south of the wall :dagger:

Just wait until april and we'll see if you still don't need to use it! :D I recently bought the dremel "big brothers", aka 2 random orbital polisher for car-detailing... so, one crazy thing at a time :sweat_smile:

But I already have a metal polisher, so I'll give it a try!

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #2,143 of 3,190
Feb 14, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,145 of 3,190
Lol no joke I have a dp12 in gold (Google it) these may get a makeover haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back