IMR - R1 Thread
Jun 4, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #723 of 3,190
I do like the idea Layman 1 has for improving the R1 and hope he contacts Bob regarding it as, if I were looking at any other IEM, it would be the EE Lengend X.

Well, I have just emailed Bob.
I'd be surprised if anything comes of it, but if it did, that would be amazing.
And you could all thank me later, and like shower me with praise and gifts and stuff :p

Jun 7, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #725 of 3,190
Update on my replacement cable. I highly recommend doing it. I’m not a cable nut. If it can conduct electricity it should work well for most, is my theory; but I really don’t want to argue about it. What I do want to say is that I think the addition of a lighter cable with memory wire may eliminate so many of the fit problems that plagued this thread since the beginning. The fit difference between the stock cable and replacement is quite staggering. The fit is now wonderful. I find that if I don't have a good seal I reach for the memory wire before the monitor and a quick push or pull gets them sealed, and keeps them sealed, so easily. It’s also immeasurable more comfortable. I was hesitant to test the stock cables again, after using the new cable for a couple weeks, because I was afraid I would hear something different. But the moment I put the R1’s with stock back on my head I knew I wouldn't even care much because the new cable makes them so much more enjoyable to listen to. Lucky for me, after swapping out with a handful of different tracks, I found no immediate change in the beautiful sound of the R1.

Relatively inexpensive 0.78mm, 2 pin cables can be easily found on sites like ali and amazon. I can’t tell you how much more enjoyable they have made these fantastic sounding phones for me :ksc75smile:

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #726 of 3,190
Changed cable to VE balanced cable. Comfort is much better with that cable.

Finally put on JVC spiral dots - that bass is amazing. And I use pink filters currently.

Every time they start playing music - i get this stupid grin on my face and thin’ “oh yes,,”

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #727 of 3,190
Changed cable to VE balanced cable. Comfort is much better with that cable.

Finally put on JVC spiral dots - that bass is amazing. And I use pink filters currently.

Every time they start playing music - i get this stupid grin on my face and thin’ “oh yes,,”

@Koolpep, I definitely feel you with getting that stupid grin. I get it often these days as well.

I can finally comment on the cable front as well, as my custom cable arrived yesterday.

Comfort is far better, as a start. Can't really overstate how much better of an experience it can be and how much it can help with the overall feel and fitment.
I can definitely say I've noticed an improvement in sonic quality as well. Soundstage is better slightly, but the biggest difference is in the highs.. they are noticably smoother and not as recessed when using the black filters. Shimmer is there on a fair few more tracks, and just general sound and energy of the output is more lively. The bass is surprising, because I felt like the black filters already delivered superbly smooth and controlled low end, and yet through this cable it somehow seems even bigger and yet more controlled, which was very unexpected. Also noticed a couple finer details emerge in a couple tracks that took me by surprise with the "oh.. never heard that before!" reaction. I'm very happy with it!

I'm still waiting on my Spiral Dot order to arrive.. the Spinfits are sorta doing the job for now, but I still feel I need to adjust them quite a bit and they don't stay put the way I'd like. I think its because they cause the buds to sit too far out of my ear canal which allows for too much travel. Its tough to get a good proper fit with them without causing a pressure block and general discomfort.

In any event, wanted to provide a couple shots! I mentioned it in an earlier post, but grabbed this cable from Null Audio, 2 Pin with half wrap. Feels awesome and the quality is perfect.

Null 2.jpg Null1.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #728 of 3,190
@Koolpep, I definitely feel you with getting that stupid grin. I get it often these days as well.

I can finally comment on the cable front as well, as my custom cable arrived yesterday.

Comfort is far better, as a start. Can't really overstate how much better of an experience it can be and how much it can help with the overall feel and fitment.
I can definitely say I've noticed an improvement in sonic quality as well. Soundstage is better slightly, but the biggest difference is in the highs.. they are noticably smoother and not as recessed when using the black filters. Shimmer is there on a fair few more tracks, and just general sound and energy of the output is more lively. Also noticed a couple finer details emerge in a couple tracks that took me by surprise with the "oh.. never heard that before!" reaction. I'm very happy with it!

I'm still waiting on my Spiral Dot order to arrive.. the Spinfits are sorta doing the job for now, but I still feel I need to adjust them quite a bit and they don't stay put the way I'd like. I think its because they cause the buds to sit too far out of my ear canal which allows for too much travel. Its tough to get a good proper fit with them without causing a pressure block and general discomfort.

In any event, wanted to provide a couple shots! I mentioned it in an earlier post, but grabbed this cable from Null Audio, 2 Pin with half wrap. Feels awesome and the quality is perfect.

On one hand, nice photos!

On the other hand, that cable looks thick and heavy, hope it is much more portable than it seems

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #729 of 3,190
On one hand, nice photos!

On the other hand, that cable looks thick and heavy, hope it is much more portable than it seems

Thank ya! I guess I didnt mention the weight aspect did I now?

Its definitely heavier than one without any wrap. The splitter and connector also adds its fair bit of weight.. if nothing else, its made it that much more apparent how important it is to have eartips that fit well and secure the buds in the ear. The cable does sit well around the ear to help distribute the weight evenly, so the heaviness of the cable is offset somewhat.

If I were to change anything for weight though, omitting the wrap on half of the cable would show the biggest difference without a doubt. That said, the tactile feel on the cable is superb.. no chance of it getting caught in clothing and is almost like a smooth shoelace.. very nice material.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #730 of 3,190
Can someone lead m too a 3.5 cable that will work with the smartphone, computer and basic 3.5 dac amp. It has too be .78mm 2 pin connector. I had my eye on this, its on sale @ 40% off but am not sure if its .78 and it scares m with that word *balanced*.
**** 8 Core Tin Plated Copper Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Balanced Cable
My budget is tops 60 dollars.Thank you
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...m=2114.12010608/itm2home-1.0.0.26045431AQANbY

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #731 of 3,190
Can someone lead m too a 3.5 cable that will work with the smartphone, computer and basic 3.5 dac amp. It has too be .78mm 2 pin connector. I had my eye on this, its on sale @ 40% off but am not sure if its .78 and it scares m with that word *balanced*.
**** 8 Core Tin Plated Copper Cable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm Balanced Cable
My budget is tops 60 dollars.Thank you
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...m=2114.12010608/itm2home-1.0.0.26045431AQANbY

I'm not sure if that one is balanced, it seems to come in different versions. I went for this one which looks remarkably similar and it works great.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...499.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2fb04c4dRdPqBB

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #732 of 3,190
Ty Duracek think id like too put a little more $ into the cable since hundreds into the iem. Any other options and does the 1 I suggested work with it

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #734 of 3,190
Ty Duracek think id like too put a little more $ into the cable since hundreds into the iem. Any other options and does the 1 I suggested work with it

Just my opinion, but more money doesn't always mean better listening experience. I really suggest that, after you spend however much dough on a cable 50? 100? 200?, you also pick up that $12/free shipping job that was posted and listen to your R1 with both.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #735 of 3,190
Anyone have a good rec for a decent cable with a mic for android use, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back