IMR - R1 Thread
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #751 of 3,190
Since the earphones are not marked, which side is red + and which side is black -? I got some replacement balanced 2 pin cables which don't have the little notch on the connector. I want the polarity correct...

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #752 of 3,190
My cable had a blue and a red dot. I chose the position on the iem w the dot facing a certain direction on the iem, and same direction on the other side. Then inserted the pins just a bit. And played some random Right/Left channel test video from YouTube. Sound came through. Have t touchtouched it since. But you are right , there is absolutely no way of telling the polarity.

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #753 of 3,190
Mine has dots as well.

I pointed the dots inside and they seem fine.

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #754 of 3,190
battle of dynamic drivers

R1 vs Galaxy V2

33lqO7nl.jpg

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #756 of 3,190
Yes, the cable is marked, but the headphones are not. They both need to be marked. Otherwise you have to guess which direction to put them for correct polarity.
You won't damage anything by having polarity inversed, the sound will be unbalanced that's all.
If it happens, reverse the cable on one side and you're done.
No need to worry that much. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #757 of 3,190
Yes, nothing will be hurt, but i would like to know which is positive and which is negative. Seems kind of half thought out to not have it marked. I get that it is not needed with the supplied cable, but an aftermarket cable might not have the notched connector the supplied cable has. Mine doesn’t.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #758 of 3,190
Yes, nothing will be hurt, but i would like to know which is positive and which is negative. Seems kind of half thought out to not have it marked. I get that it is not needed with the supplied cable, but an aftermarket cable might not have the notched connector the supplied cable has. Mine doesn’t.
It doesn't matter which pin is positive or negative, as long as both side of the cables are plugged to get the same polarity, the IEM will work the same.
If you're not convinced, reverse the connector on both sides and tell me if you can hear a difference (= you won't).

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #759 of 3,190
Yes, i think you are missing my point. The ear pieces are not marked, so how can you tell which one it is positive?
I know you can hook the red to the black on both ends and it will still be the correct polarity. But since your earphone is not marked you really have no idea which is really correct without listening to some polarity sensitive recordings and switching the cable. Do i really have to pull out Amused to Death again?

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #761 of 3,190
Yes, i think you are missing my point. The ear pieces are not marked, so how can you tell which one it is positive?
I know you can hook the red to the black on both ends and it will still be the correct polarity. But since your earphone is not marked you really have no idea which is really correct without listening to some polarity sensitive recordings and switching the cable. Do i really have to pull out Amused to Death again?

Can you tell me which iems do have the +- and which cables have the +-?

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #762 of 3,190

See below

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #765 of 3,190
Thanks, this is not about the supplied cable, which only inserts one way because it has a little nub on one side. My aftermarket cables do not have this nub. They have a red pin and an unmarked pin.
I am just surprised that as people have discussed aftermarket cables they have not mentioned this little challenge to polarity.
Bob, any chance you can chime in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back