IMR - R1 Thread
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,141 of 3,190
yTV5LV9.jpg

Paired it with my new DAP. Pioneer XDP-300R

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,142 of 3,190
move it towards the o to open, towards the c to close... at least, that's the way I, myself, interpreted it :)
Or are we all doing it wrong :interrobang::upside_down:
yTV5LV9.jpg

Paired it with my new DAP. Pioneer XDP-300R
Nice pairing! I saw the XDP-300R had sneaked onto your profile page. What are your impressions?

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,147 of 3,190
Oh no, i wrote a couple of impression and closed the edit-window.

The Shanling M0 is a very good pairing with the R1. If you dont need optics/UI/handling/ balanced port of the "high tier" players and want a small one theres no reason to spend much money. The Sabre chip of the M0 is very well implemented. If a good implementation is given your headphone/in-ears make the sound(quality). The small device can drive the R1 very loud.

R1:
Isolation open valve: You can hear wind.
Isolation closed valve: The wind sound is reduced.

Soundstage open & closed: i cannot say that the sounstage opens widely while twisting the valves to the open position. I prefer to leave the valves fully opened. To my ears changing between o & c only have a minor effect.

Bass impressions while changing from open to closed mode:

closed: oh the bass amount and quality is very nice with a good body.
-> back to open: oh the bass amount is also very nice with a good body.

Long listening sessions are required to find out whats happening :thinking:...:bulb:
It was very easy for me to say: Yes. The R1 are very good sounding. But it takes more time to find out all the subtle differences. I also have it in front of me to check our all the filters.

3.5mm Cable: very spongy like a thick version of the Yamahas EP-H100 inears. (new balanced cable incoming)

I have very good luck with the fit of the R1 into my ears. It takes only a few seconds to insert. I can also twist the valves while wearing the phones.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,148 of 3,190
Oh no, i wrote a couple of impression and closed the edit-window.

The Shanling M0 is a very good pairing with the R1. If you dont need optics/UI/handling/ balanced port of the "high tier" players and want a small one theres no reason to spend much money. The Sabre chip of the M0 is very well implemented. If a good implementation is given your headphone/in-ears make the sound(quality). The small device can drive the R1 very loud.

R1:
Isolation open valve: You can hear wind.
Isolation closed valve: The wind sound is reduced.

Soundstage open & closed: i cannot say that the sounstage opens widely while twisting the valves to the open position. I prefer to leave the valves fully opened. To my ears changing between o & c only have a minor effect.

Bass impressions while changing from open to closed mode:

closed: oh the bass amount and quality is very nice with a good body.
-> back to open: oh the bass amount is also very nice with a good body.

Long listening sessions are required to find out whats happening :thinking:...:bulb:
It was very easy for me to say: Yes. The R1 are very good sounding. But it takes more time to find out all the subtle differences. I also have it in front of me to check our all the filters.

3.5mm Cable: very spongy like a thick version of the Yamahas EP-H100 inears. (new balanced cable incoming)

I have very good luck with the fit of the R1 into my ears. It takes only a few seconds to insert. I can also twist the valves while wearing the phones.
Thanks for the pictures, they look sleek :ksc75smile: I have an M0 currently on the way so your mini pairing feedback is so coincidental, thank you! Those are the stock tips you are using?

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,149 of 3,190
My custom tips make all of the difference for comfort and not relying on the unwieldy stock cable to keep the IEM in place

MVIMG_20180908_122142.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,151 of 3,190
My audiologist is from South Florida, paid I think 100, but I dont remember for sure it was quite some time ago. My Custom tips are from Custom Art and they were also around 100

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,153 of 3,190
+1 for the XDP 300r and a big +1 for custom tips, the single best thing you can do with the R1. The isolation is obviously perfect so this in turn improves the low end greatly, which for a bass head like me is brilliant. The big thing customs improves with the R1 though is comfort, being big and heavy long use just wasn't possible with conventional tips for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back