Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #17,056 of 18,143
In general, though, I've found the higher quality, thicker cables with more wires tend to have a fuller, clearer sound with a broader separation of instruments around the soundstage.
I guess when it comes to cables of more or less the same material "size matters" . My experience was that an 8 core cable would sound fuller with deeper bass etc than 4 core one. But on the other hand with cables with more sophisticated designs and shielding etc. like Nordost for example, a very thin looking cable can be really amazing and deliver more superior sonic characteristics than a much thicker traditional one. I am a solid believer of "cables matter" even before I got into this hoby since the days I used to record music. I will never forget the day I hooked my electric guitar for the first time with a quality cable (guess it was a Monster Cable) and was simply blown away me and my buddy with the sound, which simply sounded like a completely different gear. But I also strongly believe we hear sound differently, so I believe it when others say they don't hear a difference. In the end everyone should enjoy the music the way he likes :)

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #17,058 of 18,143
Quite a rare, open, honest and informative interview with Sennheiser about their new 'Reference' Flagship studio open back headphone. Very interesting potential new headphone for Professionals. :)
Interview starts at 10.00

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #17,059 of 18,143
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #17,060 of 18,143
Is your Enigma+ on the move ?.
My tracking number still says We are expecting sender to drop it off .
Is your Enigma showing the same ?
No movement/update on mine either. My guess is that it's the typical "Waiting for pickup" type of pre-shipment tracking number trick that Bob always uses. He assigns a tracking number, but never ships the item.

Next step is that he claims it was lost by the shipping company. Then you'll get a new tracking number if he actually does ship the item sometime in the future.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #17,061 of 18,143
I guess when it comes to cables of more or less the same material "size matters" . My experience was that an 8 core cable would sound fuller with deeper bass etc than 4 core one. But on the other hand with cables with more sophisticated designs and shielding etc. like Nordost for example, a very thin looking cable can be really amazing and deliver more superior sonic characteristics than a much thicker traditional one. I am a solid believer of "cables matter" even before I got into this hoby since the days I used to record music. I will never forget the day I hooked my electric guitar for the first time with a quality cable (guess it was a Monster Cable) and was simply blown away me and my buddy with the sound, which simply sounded like a completely different gear. But I also strongly believe we hear sound differently, so I believe it when others say they don't hear a difference. In the end everyone should enjoy the music the way he likes :)

This whole cable discussion reminds me of a laundry detergent experiment from years ago. The conclusion was: All detergents work okay, but Tide cleans the best. So, you can choose which one you want based on your budget and cleanliness requirements, and it'll probably clean your clothes okay, but you can't go wrong with Tide even though it costs more.

Similarly, you can choose any cable you want, and it'll probably be okay, depending on your personal taste and ability to detect a difference in sound. But you can't go wrong with a good quality, thick cable from a reputable manufacturer even though it costs more.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #17,062 of 18,143
No movement/update on mine either. My guess is that it's the typical "Waiting for pickup" type of pre-shipment tracking number trick that Bob always uses. He assigns a tracking number, but never ships the item.

Next step is that he claims it was lost by the shipping company. Then you'll get a new tracking number if he actually does ship the item sometime in the future.
Now the status says item received at post office. It's not on the move but something has been received at Belper post office.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #17,065 of 18,143
My na-le is almost here , got tracking 5 days ago. It's in New York now . Should have it by next week latest
The same sent Na-le began to move towards me. But I began to catch myself thinking that these headphones are a year and a half behind my current desires. Over the course of a year and a half, my sound preferences have changed, my understanding of what kind of headphones I want now and what set of drivers should be there for them has changed. There is a high probability that I will sell it immediately. On the one hand, I am glad that I will receive them, on the other hand, I understand that I will receive them too late.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #17,066 of 18,143
I'd probably buy a NaLe if available.
As I mentioned previously, I believe this is the most interesting, budget friendly, item from IMR lately. The idea of a new gen DD & BC (or alike...) nicely implemented by Bob's ear at an affordable pricing could be a classic.
This is an IEM, if it lives to my expectations (please those who received it share impressions) that could be of one the stock items IMR should market. That is, IMR house sound, beautiful looks, reasonable price.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #17,068 of 18,143
I've got different cables ranging from $50 to $900 and can't hear any difference between them. Thought I did once but it was a difference in volume only but couldn't hear it a second time. If others say they hear differences they may well do, just I can't.
If you can’t hear the difference, why did you buy a cable for $900?
I, too, once didn’t know that cables affect the sound and didn’t understand why there was such a difference in price, but after listening, I understood why. Of course, I will not go to the price range of 600 and above, although I am sure that changes in sound will be expected.
I was convinced that all people hear differently even with the same headphones.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #17,069 of 18,143
If you can’t hear the difference, why did you buy a cable for $900?
I, too, once didn’t know that cables affect the sound and didn’t understand why there was such a difference in price, but after listening, I understood why. Of course, I will not go to the price range of 600 and above, although I am sure that changes in sound will be expected.
I was convinced that all people hear differently even with the same headphones.
For me i must say i am in look-priority mode. Like the recent Code24C, it looks stunning, and i am sure it sounds great too! I wanted it for enigma, but too bad i ain't getting enigma, so no 24C.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #17,070 of 18,143
For me i must say i am in look-priority mode. Like the recent Code24C, it looks stunning, and i am sure it sounds great too! I wanted it for enigma, but too bad i ain't getting enigma, so no 24C.
Code 23 really makes IMR iems sound great though !
So 24C should be awesome too.
I have an upper limit of 300 usd for cables, thats what i bought the code 23 for.
Will make do with it for a while unless i get another good deal on a cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back