Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 25, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #18,136 of 18,522
The Mill that IMR is based in is being closed for renovation so he's going to have to relocate or go on sabbatical for a while.
Unfortunately this will be applying even more pressure on Bob when he least needs it

May 25, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #18,137 of 18,522

Attachments

• ENIGMA+ Ebay.jpg
    ENIGMA+ Ebay.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 0
May 25, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #18,138 of 18,522
May 25, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #18,139 of 18,522
The Mill that IMR is based in is being closed for renovation so he's going to have to relocate or go on sabbatical for a while.
Unfortunately this will be applying even more pressure on Bob when he least needs it
They have already moved to different offices. They moved a few months back.

May 25, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #18,140 of 18,522
They have already moved to different offices. They moved a few months back.
Ok I didn't realise my Enigma a few weeks back had the now old address on the back.
Edit ahh they've moved to Kingstreet above specsavers lol

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #18,141 of 18,522
Next time there's an Aliexpress sale on Nicehck cables the DragonScale is a superb match with the Elan+ adding a spacious stage and reinforcing the bass. It may be the least ergonomic cable ever made. Stiffer than a tree branch but boy the sound synergy with the Elan+ is superb.
The price of $400 when not on sale is a bit steep but the sale price of $100 is well worth it.
Screenshot_20240526_010847_AliExpress.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #18,142 of 18,522
I know the ad in eBay but I am still convinced that these are brand new and not used
Even if somehow they are not used, strategically this is a good movement from Bob. 1300£ for a used Enigma+ is a fair price.
Now we've seen some iems from other brands mounting just mems drivers that cost more than enigma+ full priced. And I don't speak about AMT driver that brings us something really unique

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #18,143 of 18,522
Enigma owners: What have you done to tame the treble? Or ... do you like the treble?

While I wouldn't call the Enigma bright or harsh, I'm getting a bit more treble than I would like. Possibly more than what I started with, so perhaps this is part of the famous IMR breaking in/burning in period.

They are currently brighter and more sibilant than my Elan+. Comparing "Achilles Last Stand" from Led Zeppelin, noticeably less sibilant on the Elan+ using blue lower and red upper.

This week I switched to black lower/purple upper on the Enigma to cut back a bit on the treble, but there seems to be plenty still. According to my info, this filter combo should yield the third most bass (or, if you prefer, the "third least" treble).

This is interesting: I put the blue/red filter of the Elan+ on the Enigma and sibilance reduced. I think. I'm surprised that would happen going from black to blue.

May 26, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #18,144 of 18,522
Enigma owners: What have you done to tame the treble? Or ... do you like the treble?

While I wouldn't call the Enigma bright or harsh, I'm getting a bit more treble than I would like. Possibly more than what I started with, so perhaps this is part of the famous IMR breaking in/burning in period.

They are currently brighter and more sibilant than my Elan+. Comparing "Achilles Last Stand" from Led Zeppelin, noticeably less sibilant on the Elan+ using blue lower and red upper.

This week I switched to black lower/purple upper on the Enigma to cut back a bit on the treble, but there seems to be plenty still. According to my info, this filter combo should yield the third most bass (or, if you prefer, the "third least" treble).

This is interesting: I put the blue/red filter of the Elan+ on the Enigma and sibilance reduced. I think. I'm surprised that would happen going from black to blue.
Here's my current setup, absolutely no hiss in the highs, Billie Jean sounds perfect, although the Ibasso DC Elite tends to sometimes highlight the highs on such recordings.
With this setup of mine (cable, attachments) everything is fine, all frequencies are balanced, the highs are pleasant, the bass has a clear punch, the mids are pleasant, and you can feel the stage and air.
I'm happy with this setup.

Attachments

• photo_2024-05-26_12-54-31.jpg
    photo_2024-05-26_12-54-31.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-26_12-54-40.jpg
    photo_2024-05-26_12-54-40.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2024-05-26_12-54-36.jpg
    photo_2024-05-26_12-54-36.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 0
May 26, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #18,146 of 18,522
As you remember that was my problem with my Enigma as well. This ameliorated with some burn in and I believe it is going to get better still. Also it seems to be a source sensitive issue as @mekap and others have suggested. Change in filters did not help much in my case.
If the filters do not work very well, then you need to select attachments first, then the cable. I am confident that you will achieve results.

May 26, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #18,147 of 18,522

I encounter no treble problems at all with my Enigma+, but do sometimes with other IEM (so that it cannot be due to my older ears, I guess). I remember that I had some problems with the Elan+.
Still use the stock black² filters btw.
Maybe there is some kind of production variance?
What usually does help in this situation is tip and cable rolling...

May 26, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #18,148 of 18,522

What eartips are you using?

May 26, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #18,150 of 18,522

This is good combination of filters. If it's not enough you should circle some tips and cables. Hybrid copper and silver cables usually tame some treble. Tips: spin fit cp145 (yellow large one) and final type E may help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back