Impressions: Sony MDR-V6 Vs. Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
Dec 20, 2002 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
[size=small]Sony MDR-V6 Vs. Sennheiser HD-280 Pro[/size]

Please bear in mind, this is my first review and I am still very new in the world of audiophilia and headphones. Of course, everything contained within this review is my own opinion, and you are quite welcome to be enamored by or disregard any of the content.

Introduction:
After having spent several weeks with these two much talked about closed headphones, I decided to do a bit of a comparison between the two. They are both in a similar price category, about $60-$75 used or $75-$100 new (As of 12/17/02). At this price point, these are often talked about as the most affordable closed-back entry into good quality headphones. Often, they can be found at a bargain price, as were both my HD-280 and MDR-V6. Both headphones are closed, and they offer a good amount of isolation. Neutrality and detail emanate from both headphones with ease, owing to their low impedances that make them easily driven by most any source. Portability by means of folding and build quality of both headphones are both excellent. Both are touted as having very little coloration, and could be used for monitoring purposes. So what exactly makes the two different? Well, this is what I have set about to discover. A lot has been commented on the sound of these two headphones, and since I am no expert, I will address the sound to the best of my limited ability. However, I also find that the intangibles in a headphone are also important, and I will try to include as many of these oft unspoken details within this review. If none of the intangibles matter to you, then skip to the last section (the part where I actually talk about how these two SOUND).

Packaging:
[image removed]
This is what the headphones come packaged in. The MDR-V6 comes in a shiny gold case, with a red velvety cloth pillowing the folded-up headphones. The HD-280 comes in a much more utilitarian case, what with the plastic upon more plastic. From the get-go, we see that the presentation of the HD-280 is much larger than that of the MDR-V6. This plays an important factor in the way the two headphones are thought of. More on this will be discussed in the section on portability.

Plugs:
[image removed]
One factor that is often not mentioned in headphone reviews is the plug that connects the headphone to the output jack of a source or amplifier. Both of the headphones in this review come with a standard 1/8" plug, as well as a 1/4" adapter that screws onto the base. While it means very little to most (myself included), the HD-280 is gold plated and the MDR-V6 is not. Many will say and advertise that the gold-plating is important to the sound and durability of a headphone, but I have noticed nothing to that effect. It should be noted that the professionally marketed (but for all intensive purposes the same) version of the MDR-V6 (the MDR-7506) comes with a gold-plated plug. Oooh. Personally, I find the plug on the MDR-V6 to be much nicer, both in looks and in build quality. I love the feeling of fastening and unfastening the 1/4" adapter to the MDR-V6 -- it is akin to fastening a silencer to a perfectly-machined gun nozzle (or at least, I imagine it would be so, an no, I do not condone guns or gun violence).

Size and Portability:
[image removed] [image removed]
While the pictures may show that the MDR-V6 is a little smaller than the HD280, what they do not reveal is the *perceived* difference in size. The MDR-V6 feels much lighter and has a more portable quality to it. The build quality is still excellent, but the parts are just much thinner and more compact than the HD280. The headband has a thin metal frame, and the size adjustments lock into place very nicely. The headband also has a way of wrapping around the cups, so that the folded package is much smaller and can almost fit in the palm of my hand. The HD-280, on the other hand, is ruggedly built with all plastic, and has a much larger presentation. The 280's feel much more like a full size can, and when folded, the headband is akin to a handlebar for a suitcase. Granted, the headband does loosen a bit with usage, so a bit of a bend will come into the initially very horizontal appearance. I like the size of both, for different applications. Of course, I find the MDR-V6 to be more portable, and it will be the headphone of choice when I am travelling.

Looks, Isolation, Comfort, and Build Quality:
Much has been mentioned about the dorkiness of the HD-280's when actually worn (myself included). However, the looks are starting to grow on me a bit now, and I actually don't think they are THAT horrendously awful. Yes, the headband is rather wide and stiff, but it does begin to flex with headphone usage, and does become more shapely as a result. The MDR-V6 look like pretty standard monitoring cans... They are used on the Howard Stern show amongst a multitude of other recording studios. Looks are of course completely subjective, and while I don't think the HD280's look particularly 'good', I don't think they look all that horrible, either. To me, it is more of a size issue... I mean, I think my rather large ATH-W1000's look amazing, but I bet people would still laugh at me if I wore them at the library or on the street. Which brings me back to the portability issue -- the MDR-V6's are just more portable and they are designed this way.
The isolation factor of these two cans is up for a little bit of debate. For me, the MDR-V6 is supra-aural, meaning that the pads do not fit all the way around my ears. This in turn means that the pads actually rest ON my ears, and so a total seal is not achieved. Depending on your ear size, the MDR-V6 might actually surround your entire ear, in which case they are circum-aural and provide a better seal. The HD-280, on the other hand, is going to be circum-aural for just about anybody (unless you have gigantism of the earlobe or some other anomaly). So for me, the HD-280 provides a lot more isolation from outside noise than the MDR-V6. The isolation provided by both headphones filters out higher frequencies better than lower, so the rumble of a jet engine will still come through to a reasonable degree but you might not hear your friend talking to you from across the hall. I find that with the MDR-V6 on, I can hear my computer fan and keyboard clacking noises pretty easily, maybe about 40% is taken away, but with the HD-280 on they are definitely muffled by about 60%. I have used my HD-280's on an airplane before, and while I could not hear the lows from my music that I'd like to be able to hear, I could definitely watch a movie and understand dialogue very clearly. For true airplane isolation, I believe the Etymotics or noise cancelling are the only real ways to go.

Since the HD280's are circumaural, and the MDR-V6's are not (for me), I find the HD280's to be more comfortable for long listening sessions. They are larger and heavier, yes, but they do not heat my ears up as much as the V6's. At first, the HD280 may seem a little tight, but the tightness begins to wear off and after a week of owning them I found them to be quite comfortable. For shorter sessions, I actually find the MDR-V6 more comfortable due to its lightness and ease of manipulation. It feels like a task to put the HD280's on, but the V6's slip on and off without a hitch. So to me, both are comfortable, but in different ways.

Both the V6 and 280 are built very sturdily, and I would have no problem throwing them around a bit or lugging them in my backpack. I would say that the HD280's are more sturdy and tank-like, but the V6 seems to have more ingenuity and reliable flex to it. I'd envision both of these lasting a good decade or so with moderate attention to careful handling.

Sound:
Source = Sony D-368 Discman
Amplifier = Supermini V3 (via Line Out)
Interconnect = Radio Shack Mini-Mini

* Listening was done via A/B comparison of one full track at a time.
* All listening done at moderate volume levels.

Aphex Twin -> Richard D. James Album -> To Cure A Weakling Child
This track has a ton of clicks and rapid-fire drum rolls. It is a nice showcase for evaluating the upper-mids and highs. The attacks are sharp and crisp (or at least, they should be). This track does not have much bass, so I will not commment about that aspect for this selection.

MDR-V6. The V6 really shows its analytical nature here. The highs are ultra-crisp, and in some cases, a bit harsh. It is the nature of the recording, however, and between the two headphones, I believe the V6 is more accurately reproducing the sound. The presence of the recording is really in your face -- the V6 puts all the details out there and doesn't try to hide anything. In this case, the really high frequencies come through and are the most noticeable and instantly grabbing feature. It can be fatiguing, but I feel like I am getting everything, right here and now, unabashed.

HD-280. The 280 takes this piece of music and makes it much smoother and ultimately, more listenable. The emphasis is placed on the upper-mids or low highs, and makes it a more pleasant experience. A certain drum roll/squib that comes in at about 2 minutes into the song sounds organic and natural. It really stands out and sounds beautiful, and meshes nicely with everything else. Upon first placing the 280'd on my head, I immediately noticed a sort of recession from the in-your-face presentation of the V6. The V6 is like I am in the recording studio, while the 280 is more like a performance in a concert hall. The highs are reduced, yet still detailed and crisp. However, after listening to the V6, sometimes I feel like I miss some things with the 280.

Wynton + Ellis Marsalis -> Joe Cool's Blues -> Little Birdie
This track feautures some piano, an upright bass, a drum set, various horns, and Germaine Bazzle lending her resonant vocal talents. It is your typical jazz standard, written by Vince Guaraldi for his Peanuts-inspired music (Little Birdie is the little yellow bird that hangs around with Snoopy all the time).

MDR-V6. Again, the MDR-V6 puts me right in the middle of the action. The piano sounds just right to me this time around, however. It is as if I am standing next to it in some club, holding a drink. The drums are very present, and the bass gives a good punch. I can hear some good detail in the bassline too, but I have to listen pretty hard; the kind of stuff like strings slapping on the fingerboard and such. The muted trumpet can sound a bit harsh at times, as it gets pretty high up there in the register. But overall, it is a very pleasant experience to listen to. I said it once before, and I'll say it again, it is like I am in the recording studio listening to all the performers play. Everything is crisp, and present. The vocals weren't quite right for me, however. I can't explain it other than "they just didn't *sing*".

HD-280. The first things when I tried this selection with the 280's was that the piano sounded as good if not better than the V6, but the drum snare sounded very distant and not very involving. As well, the bass kick wasn't quite there, in both the drum kick and the upright, and the details in the bass were lost (I could not hear the same fingerboard slaps). The details might have been there, but they were not as evident as in the V6. Please keep in mind, it may be due to the fact that I am doing an A/B comparison, so the differences are magnified, and some subtleties may be lost. The horns sounded right on the money, and the vocals were really smooth and sweet without sacrificing the details of Germaine Bazzle's vocal qualities.

Radiohead -> OK Computer -> Exit Music (For A Film)
This track begins with a reverbed acoustic guitar, with some nice fingerboard squeeks to pay attention to, and then Thom Yorke's beautiful voice comes in. The song slowly builds up to a climax, at which point a fuzzy distorted bass enters in with a distorted drumset. The song then peaks, and comes back down to just Tom Yorke and some synthesized vocals. There are some stereoscopic effects going in certain parts during the song, sort of a screechy rewinding noise.

MDR-V6. Things once again are very upfront, and Thom Yorke's voice sounds absolutely fantastic. There is no covering anything up, and his voice shines through. The beginning acoustic guitar also sounds good, with good detail (although the reverb inherently takes away some of the crispness of it). The screeching sound effects on the V6 tend to be a little stereo-heavy; that is, I can feel the stereoscopic effect and it isn't the most pleasant thing to experience. Cross-fade may be one solution, but i think it has something to do with the lack of soundstage and the drivers being so close to my ears. The synthethized vocals sound kind of ho-hum -- they are presented as is. When the distorted bass kicks in, it is very present, and kind of engulfs the rest of the sound. The distorted bass is thick and upfront, and almost overwhelming.

HD-280. The guitar sounds just as good as it did on the V6, but Thom Yorke's vocals are a little different. I can still hear all the details, such as the little 'kuh' sound at the end of the word 'wake' and the 'puh' sound at the end of the word 'sleep', but the vocals seem a little bit more relaxed. In this case, I prefer the V6's presentation of his voice, which is more upfront. Yorke's voice, in case you are not familiar, is in a fairly high register, and it is very different timbre from Germaine Bazzle's sultry, rich, jazz voice. I believe his voice shines better on the V6, while Germaine's voice is better suited to the HD280. The fuzz bass guitar on the 280 is more controlled and precise, and I prefer the presentation of it on the 280 to the extremely present and engulfing V6 presentation.

Vivaldi -> The Four Seasons -> Spring - Concerto in E Major RV 269 I.Allegro
Time for some classical music. The particular recording I'm using isn't so excellent, nor is my source, but I chose it because the bow can often be heard 'scrubbing' the strings, getting that thick, rosany, sound. At least I hear that with my ATH-W1000's. I want to see how these two stack up.

MDR-V6. Well, this recording sounded decent through the V6. Nothing really about it excited me, however. It sounded reasonably clear, but nothing really struck me as being completely different. I could definitely hear all the separation in the strings, however, and of course the harpsichord was very clear.

HD-280. Again, there was nothing of remarkable and dazzling significance. This may be due to my comparison point of the ATH-W1000. Perhaps it is more the task of higher-end phones to make classical music shine through. I did hear some of the 'scrubbing' high-detail noise from the HD280's, but it may be due to the increased isolation factor. Which is noteworthy. I don't really prefer one over the other in terms of this listening example, however. Both are good, but not spectacular.

Final Words:

Both the MDR-V6 and HD-280 Pro have strengths and weaknesses, with almost every recording I threw at them. In terms of portability, I would strongly have to go with the V6. I would also probably reach for the V6 more in monitoring situations, so as to extract the most amount of detail and to achieve the 'up-front' sound that they produce. However, the HD280's also have valuable strengths in certain areas, and they tend to make certain parts of recordings stand out, while maintaining a very cohesive sound. The HD280's are less fatiguing, overall, so if I were to do long monitoring sessions or long listening, I would probably reach for the HD280. I feel that each phone is not necessarily genre specific, either; it comes down to the recording, and how each headphone handles it. For example, the Aphex Twin track used above may have sounded better to me on the HD280, but a different track or a different electronic artist might sound dazzling on the V6. The strengths and weaknesses of each headphone have to be considered. This may not be what you wanted to hear. Well, if it came down to it, and I were forced to keep only one, it would probably be the V6. The portability and the use I would garner as a monitor makes it valuable to me, whereas if I want an extended listening session, I might as well just go for my more expensive headphones. But if you are choosing between one or the other and do not want to bother with a bajillion different sets of headphones (yet), the HD-280 performs very well in all genres, and is a great detailed, yet pleasant headphone -- while the V6 tends to be more fun and fatiguing.

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 22
Great review and great pictures, LobsterSan!

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 22
BIAS ALERT
Your head is definitely smaller on the picture with the HD280
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, so what you're saying is... Buy both? Yes! Preach the Head-Fi Mantra!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 22
A real pleasure to read, very informative!

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 22
That's odd - as far as 'looking good' is concerned. I look far better with my Sony MDR-7506's on than I do with my Sennheiser HD 280Pro's on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound-wise, I am enjoying my 7506's right now!
biggrin.gif
More than my 280's, and much more than most of my other headphones (with the exceptions of my Etys and my Sennheiser 600's)!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Am I ready to join the Mike Walker army instead of the Magicthyse army?
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for the review mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 22
Great review. The pictures were well done. I finally know what they mean about the awkward look of the 280's (They aren't that bad). Of course I am still not sure which to buy...

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 22
Anyhoo, LobsterSan, nicely done review! I still disagree with the looks... I look far uglier with my 280's on than I do with my 7506's on. Maybe it's because my head is quite a bit bigger than yours.

Dec 20, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 22
I've been wondering about the ergonomics and all; thanks for the info!

Dec 20, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
BIAS ALERT
Your head is definitely smaller on the picture with the HD280
evil_smiley.gif

And he also has that threatening look on his face...
eek.gif

Great work LobsterSan!

Dec 20, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 22
Great review, Lobstersan! Well written & imformative, the pixs were useful.

Ordered a V6 for my wife last week, should be coming in time for Christmas (to match a Sony D-25s present). Can't wait to give them a listen. FWIW, I order Beyer's velour pad mod.

ps - your ears don't look fat, maybe phat.

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for the positive responses guys! I'll try to do a similar thing with some even more seductive photos of my ATH-W1000's when they get properley tamed.

Oh, one thing about the looks of the HD280's... With my hat off and my poofy hair exposed, they look more normal as well (since my poofy hair fills in the space on the sides). If you have an afro or something like that, the HD-280 might look perfectly normal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back