Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion from post #120)
Feb 21, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #436 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know someone, a HFer, who has both the FX500 and the CK10s right now, and says no comparison re treble presentation, if that helps.

I have both and there is no comparison. Funny enough, I listened to my FX500 this morning (want to be able to make a direct comparison with the FX700 I'm going to try out tomorrow) for the first time since I got the CK10.

While I liked the FX500, they will continue to collect dust.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #438 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure that I am Mark. I couldn't tolerate the treble of the FX500 and I find the treble of the SR125 fatiguing after a short time. However, I do enjoy the treble presentation of the IE8 and the TF10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and there is no comparison. Funny enough, I listened to my FX500 this morning (want to be able to make a direct comparison with the FX700 I'm going to try out tomorrow) for the first time since I got the CK10.

While I liked the FX500, they will continue to collect dust.

x2 (I believe I've posted something like that before). The CK10's treble is much more refined than the FX500's. The HJE900 are in between, out of the box closer to the FX500, after the foam mod closer to the CK10. BTW CK100's highs trump them all.

So, in terms of treble quality it's: CK100 > CK10 > HJE900 > FX500.

I don't have the TF10, but compared to the IE8 these four IEMs have one thing in common: they have rather forward highs, while the IE8's highs are more relaxed and laid back. So IMO, if you like the treble presentation of the IE8, it's still not safe to predict that you'll like the highs on the CK10.

You may also ask, where do the e-Q7's highs fit in? After a quick A/B I'd say they too are kind of relaxed and laid back, and closer to the IE8 than to any other of these phones.

(One more thing that comes to mind, it's probably worth trying the foam mod on the FX500. I'll see into that...)

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #439 of 882
@ james444 - I am interested to know where you would rate the IE8, N1, PR2, CKS70, M5, and e-Q7 in your treble ranking (I threw some in just because I know how they sound and what I thought of the treble. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #440 of 882
@average_joe - IMO it's hard to mix treble-forward and laid back phones in a ranking, but it would look about that:

CK100 > CK10 > HJE900(modded) > IE8 > e-Q7 = N1(EQd) = HJE900(original) > PR2 = FX500

Only a quick shot though, I'd have to A/B all these and consider a lot of parameters (extension, detail, refinement, ...) to say it more precisely.

Edit: I have not heard the CKS70 and M5.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #441 of 882
Hmm, how would be the ranking in terms of treble smoothness, not quality, from most treble energy/most fatiguing, to most laid-back treble/least fatiguing ? Could i dare to ask you to include the relatively lowly hippo VBs in this prestigious (barring pr2) ranking ? Although, im assuming that treble smoothness correlates to treble energy quantity, where i might be wrong. Please consider smoothness/fatigue-inducing property in that ranking above absolute treble forwardness/energy if they do not correlate, but no consideration for detail and extension.
Also, if you dont mind, how old are you? Older folks seem to be less sensitive to the highest frequencies (although tstarn is not exactly a teenager and still seem to find the panasonics too harsh for his tastes)

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #443 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i must say i find the treble on the ck10 to be rather sharp and energetic. its great quality but its rather tiring. actually a cant say i really could listen to them far all that long without a bass boost to even them out a bit

Yes Mark, I agree. The treble is very energetic which I like. But as I said before, after more than a couple of hours it becomes quite fatiguing even with my bass boost on. The added bass does help to even out the imbalance though, but the treble energy is always prominent (to my ears!).

So, you're finding them a little bass light according to your post in the other thread? That's interesting because I know you dislike too much bass anyway, but I guess if you're using bass boost, they must be a bit light even for you.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #444 of 882
I am sad I am reading that the ck10 treble is sharp,I am sensitive to treble.I use my fx500 on 1 or even half on the iPod touch because if I crank the volume higher,the treble become very tiring.mark or sooz,is the treble of the ck10 as sharp as the fx500?I hate waiting for packages to arrive.....

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #445 of 882
@daouda, are you still anxious about the HJE900's treble? Remember what you promised only yesterday?
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way i promise that this time was reallly the last for me to talk or ask about the HJE900 before i've heard them...

Like tstarn I'm not exactly a teenager too, my hearing goes up to 16KHz on a frequency sweep. We both have our deficiencies, I can hear no severe harshness with the Pannys and he can hear no trace of sibilance with the CK10.
wink.gif

Concerning the Hippo VBs, I already answered that one, the Hippos are harshness hell to me, neither the CK10 or HJE900 are anything like that.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #446 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes Mark, I agree. The treble is very energetic which I like. But as I said before, after more than a couple of hours it becomes quite fatiguing even with my bass boost on. The added bass does help to even out the imbalance though, but the treble energy is always prominent (to my ears!).

So, you're finding them a little bass light according to your post in the other thread? That's interesting because I know you dislike too much bass anyway, but I guess if you're using bass boost, they must be a bit light even for you.

yeah, they arent super bass light but light enough that i really want them boosted

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sad I am reading that the ck10 treble is sharp,I am sensitive to treble.I use my fx500 on 1 or even half on the iPod touch because if I crank the volume higher,the treble become very tiring.mark or sooz,is the treble of the ck10 as sharp as the fx500?I hate waiting for packages to arrive.....

actually i find the treble on the fx500 much less tiring than on the ck10, BA do very sharp hard edged treble (tf10 ck10 er4) but treble heavy dynamics are always much smoother and gentler on my ears. they dont have the hard brutality about them even if they have greater abundance.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #447 of 882
Quote:

Aaaah midoo, don't be sad. I don't actually hear the CK10 treble as sharp, except on some very bright recordings. Mostly, it's just very present and lively. It's still the most dominant force though, unlike the FX500 where bass is the most dominant.

The difference between the CK10 and FX500 treble (from memory) - is that the CK10 seems to produce a bigger wall of sparkle, but Mark can be more specific about that since he still has his FX500.

Mark... try them both unamped and give midoo some more info.

Come on. Hop to it
ksc75smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, you already hopped to it before I posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #448 of 882
Thanks mark and sooz for the response,I guess I have to hear them myself,they should be here soon but if I find them as harsh ad the fx500 or even sharper,they will find a new home.I have hd650 and ie8 which are both very very relaxing and never fatiguing even if I listen to them all day long but the echo that shigzeo mentioned in the ie8 when listening to trance and house is beginning to get on my nerves that's why I ordered the ck10 purely for trance,house and ambient(shpongle..).also I need more isolation than the ie8 when in bus ad university and I hate when I have to crank the volume of the ie8 loudly,I fear for my ears
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #449 of 882
Quote:

Thanks mark and sooz for the response,I guess I have to hear them myself,they should be here soon but if I find them as harsh ad the fx500 or even sharper,they will find a new home.I have hd650 and ie8 which are both very very relaxing and never fatiguing even if I listen to them all day long but the echo that shigzeo mentioned in the ie8 when listening to trance and house is beginning to get on my nerves that's why I ordered the ck10 purely for trance,house and ambient(shpongle..).also I need more isolation than the ie8 when in bus ad university and I hate when I have to crank the volume of the ie8 loudly,I fear for my ears
biggrin.gif

middo, will you be using them with mainly with your Touch or Zune? The Touch wasn't a good match for my preferences, but the Zune (if I remember) is a bit warmer than the Touch, so could be a better match. But you have no eq on the Zune. Hmmm. Well, I can't wait to hear what you think of them. Maybe the amount of treble will be too much for you if you like the laid-back sound of the Senns - but at least you shouldn't have a problem selling them if you don't like them.

One thing to bear in mind, is that if you hear vocals as being very thin or distant, then persevere with the fit. The bass may always be quite light, but the vocals should sound quite full bodied if you have a decent seal. I do listen a bit louder with these than my other earphones because they seem to need extra volume to sound more balanced.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #450 of 882
Actually I sold my zune to my sister,I should upgrade my sig.,I will solely use them with the touch and I have no intention to get any Player soon because I am investing in my home setup and I just bought woo6 and Sophia tube so my wallet is empty
biggrin.gif
.I don't care if the bass is light,I actually bought them because I don't like too much bass in trance and house and the fx500 and ie8 are monesters when it come to bass.I'll use the eq on the touch if the treble is beyond my threshold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back