[Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price.
Jun 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #212 of 636
I'm not sure I want it yet. I've been buying mp3 players/daps since 1999, and the X3 still looks incomplete. Everything looks so barebones, I'm still seeing pics without tag supports and an archaic looking navigation system, a lack of features thats been common place with many other daps for years and with only 8gb of internal storage in 2013? I can't take it seriously.
I'm sorry to be such a hard critic this early on and No I haven't laid my hands on one yet. But so far I have'nt been shown anything that tells me this an unregretable purchase yet. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #213 of 636
Quote:
I'm not sure I want it yet. I've been buying mp3 players/daps since 1999, and the X3 still looks incomplete. Everything looks so barebones, I'm still seeing pics without tag supports and an archaic looking navigation system, a lack of features thats been common place with many other daps for years and with only 8gb of internal storage in 2013? I can't take it seriously.
I'm sorry to be such a hard critic this early on and No I haven't laid my hands on one yet. But so far I have'nt been shown anything that tells me this an unregretable purchase yet. 

Absolutely agree that feature set or UI isn't its strength.  Sound quality is.  I believe most who are excited care for the sound:price ratio mostly.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #214 of 636
Quote:

Fiio is a new player in DAP space and they're improving the firmware at rapid rate. Personally I don't really care with all those stuff, as long as it's functional and bug-free, SQ is what matter most and most review agree on this.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #215 of 636
Quote:

Absolutely agree that feature set or UI isn't its strength.  Sound quality is.  I believe most who are excited care for the sound:price ratio mostly.

I agree that sound is the priority but usability and customization is equally important too. But out of experience I tell you don't rush and buy this compulsively. Its so far behind the current standards of DAPs that there is bound to be a successor soon with the UI and features of a Zune HD or iPod Touch 5 and making the X3 look like its already 10 years old (essentially it is, compare to the Cowon X5, and MPIO HD300 ).

Fiio, I wanna see more, you gotta show me more! Maybe in the X4?

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #216 of 636
I got my x3 for approx. 210usd. Is there a DAP that costs less than this and sounds as good? I genuinely want to know.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #217 of 636
Quote:

I agree that sound is the priority but usability and customization is equally important too. But out of experience I tell you don't rush and buy this compulsively. Its so far behind the current standards of DAPs that there is bound to be a successor soon with the UI and features of a Zune HD or iPod Touch 5 and making the X3 look like its already 10 years old (essentially it is, compare to the Cowon X5, and MPIO HD300 ).

Fiio, I wanna see more, you gotta show me more! Maybe in the X4?

Good advice and really love to kill all these birds with one stone.... no luck tho... forget about the X3 price point, I don't get to have everything with even these at their exorbitant prices respectively.   But I love both for superior sound. :)

And X3 isn't as far behind in terms of sound as their prices may indicate!

However, if UI and usability are higher on the priority list, Note 2 (or some other phone with a decent DAC) with a nice IEM will actually be money better spent.  I like my Note 2 for that.  It pairs extremely well with all of my IEMs  :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #218 of 636
Quote:
I got my x3 for approx. 210usd. Is there a DAP that costs less than this and sounds as good? I genuinely want to know.

Maybe a Cowon D2 or J3?

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #221 of 636
Please don't make a DAP that try to do everything + touch screen Fiio. There's market for pure DAP, people should buy Ipod if they want to play angry bird with their DAP.

As a DAP (that is Digital Audio Player), even Clip+ is light years ahead of Ipod Touch 4.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #222 of 636
Quote:
Please don't make a DAP that try to do everything + touch screen Fiio. There's market for pure DAP, people should buy Ipod if they want to play angry bird with their DAP.

LOL  
size]

I recommend this: 

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #223 of 636
Quote:

Maybe a Cowon D2 or J3?

The D2 and J3 are in different leagues from each other even....lol. D2 is older generation hardware and has much less clarity than S9/J3/i9/X9 (and presumably X7 as well). I'm making that comparison as all of them having all effects turned off , flat EQ. The difference is even greater if you use the effects.

As to how any of the Cowons compare to the X3, that I cannot speak of, having not heard the X3.

Quote:

As a DAP (that is Digital Audio Player), even Clip+ is light years ahead of Ipod Touch 4.

I strongly disagree. I owned them both before and both were very satisfying audio players. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #225 of 636
Quote:
You're gonna have to pick: either sound is the priority or it's merely as important as the other two 
wink.gif

I think usability is just as important as sound quality, and I don't see why it has to be sacrificed, just because of an attractive price point. After all, the UI is largely software. I am glad that the X3 has tactile buttons for song selection as a touchscreen is kind of annoying when you're trying to use it while on the go. 

Another factor in usability that is usually missing from high-end players is the slowness in swapping out cards. With my DX100, it can take 5-10 minutes for it to update before you can even listen to the new card, or even what's on the internal drive. I'm hoping that with its dual-card system the X4 nails this issue.and let's you swap out card b while card a is playing, so you can essentially listen to unlimited selection of tunes without stopping the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back