[Impression] FiiO X3 – High Fi, Low Price.
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #481 of 636
  Please help me make a decision.

I already have a Rockboxed Fuze + stock fiio L6 LOD + JDS cmoy. But this combo does not work good for the 12Ohm Sony MA900. The amp is too weak in current as i understand.

So now i would either get an O2 from JDS (maybe e12) as a replacement for my cmoy and use it with my Fuze through the LOD or get a single X3.

How would these compare in sound? Fuze RB + L6 LOD stock + JDS O2 (or e12) vs X3

The other pair of my headphones are DT250 250Ohm.

thanks for help!

X3 would sound better.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #482 of 636
Got my X3 today, but everytime I shut it down and turn the power on again, it will not jump directly to the song that was playing before, it will jump to the main menu. How can I change this?

Forgive me for beeing blunt but... RTFM.... In The player settings, you can chose what suites you best

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #483 of 636

Please help me make a decision.

I already have a Rockboxed Fuze + stock fiio L6 LOD + JDS cmoy. But this combo does not work good for the 12Ohm Sony MA900. The amp is too weak in current as i understand.

So now i would either get an O2 from JDS (maybe e12) as a replacement for my cmoy and use it with my Fuze through the LOD or get a single X3.

How would these compare in sound? Fuze RB + L6 LOD stock + JDS O2 (or e12) vs X3

The other pair of my headphones are DT250 250Ohm.

thanks for help!

X3 would sound better.

A bit fan-boyish much?

The X3 may be good, but I don't think it can best the O2 for sound performance.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #484 of 636
  A bit fan-boyish much?

The X3 may be good, but I don't think it can best the O2 for sound performance.

So, from your signature, you love the ODAC and O2. That actually qualifies you for fanboy status. As ridiculous as that demeaning badge is in reality.
I don't have the Clip or the O2, but I imagine it may not be as much a question of the O2's performance, which is excellent as far as the dScope measurements reveal, but of the Clip's LO. The X3 measures really well on the HP out, as well as on the LO.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #485 of 636
Well the user just blatantly stated the X3 is better with no justification. With all the reviews I've read about FiiO products, they don't quite match the O2's performance. In fact, reviews have stated that the op-amp in the X3 can be soldered out and replaced for a cleaner-sounding output.

Just because I own the ODAC and O2 doesn't mean I'm a fanboy at all. I also own the FiiO E7, E12, L-cables, and HS2. Does that qualify me as being a FiiO fanboy too since I own a bunch of their products? Nope.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #487 of 636

... With all the reviews I've read about FiiO products, they don't quite match the O2's performance....

I'm a newbie so I may be wrong, but isn't this irrelevant if the Fuze' LO is lower quality than the equivalent bits in the X3 up to that point in the chain?

Yeah if the DAC sounds different. I thought the original poster was concerned about the powering of the headphone, so the amp would be the deciding factor.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #488 of 636
  Yeah if the DAC sounds different. I thought the original poster was concerned about the powering of the headphone, so the amp would be the deciding factor.

Ok. Thanks, I understand what you were getting at, now. Both answers were correct, depending on which end you were coming from! So, the X3 is probably better, so long as it can drive the headphones. I don't have hard to drive headphones so the X3, for me, should be better....but in the end, I know it's all subjective. I'm happy with my X3....until the X5 comes out (probably).

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #489 of 636
  Well the user just blatantly stated the X3 is better with no justification. With all the reviews I've read about FiiO products, they don't quite match the O2's performance. In fact, reviews have stated that the op-amp in the X3 can be soldered out and replaced for a cleaner-sounding output.

Just because I own the ODAC and O2 doesn't mean I'm a fanboy at all. I also own the FiiO E7, E12, L-cables, and HS2. Does that qualify me as being a FiiO fanboy too since I own a bunch of their products? Nope.

Yeah, well, I really did not mean to offend. I just wanted to point out that the little hearts in your sig point to some other conclusions.

As for the op amp swapping, I looked over the AD8620 mentioned as a better amplifier. While the AD8397, original amp in the X3, is an audio specific opamp, the 8620 is not. This means that, though some might like the way it sounds, it may not be that it is really higher fidelity. It may just be some more audiophile hocus pocus at play. Even though some quite experienced headfiers talk about this mod, it does not make it valid. None of them tested this modification. They all just said it sounds better. And since the X3's design was made specifically for the 8397, it very well may be that the 8620 does not fare very well in those circumstances. Even if this part has a package option which could be viewed as pin compatible to the original amplifier.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #490 of 636
I must be the biggest FiiO fanboy ever, since I am the one who introduced James to the forum and reviewed just about everything they made. I must also be a O2 and ODAC fanboy too, since I have been using them as reference to many of my review....

Well, talking about fanboyisness is actually kind of silly, so let just stop at that. There are good and bad about modding X3, and most of the technical parts (as well as a blind listening at a meet) have been covered on the mod thread. Instead of fixating on X3 vs. O2, why not X3 + O2? Now that is the better combination and worth a discussion for.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #491 of 636

Yeah, well, I really did not mean to offend. I just wanted to point out that the little hearts in your sig point to some other conclusions.

As for the op amp swapping, I looked over the AD8620 mentioned as a better amplifier. While the AD8397, original amp in the X3, is an audio specific opamp, the 8620 is not. This means that, though some might like the way it sounds, it may not be that it is really higher fidelity. It may just be some more audiophile hocus pocus at play. Even though some quite experienced headfiers talk about this mod, it does not make it valid. None of them tested this modification. They all just said it sounds better. And since the X3's design was made specifically for the 8397, it very well may be that the 8620 does not fare very well in those circumstances. Even if this part has a package option which could be viewed as pin compatible to the original amplifier.

Oh that. If you look at my profile, I state:
♡ = Home and/or Reference Gear
✓ = Portable and/or Things I Like

And like ClieOS, I use the O2 and ODAC as my reference amp and DAC.

I believe ClieOS did measurements for the AD8620 and stated that it is a preferred op-amp in multiple portable amps [X3 mod, and JDS Labs C421, and probably others that I can't remember].
Though not my words:
 *AD8610 – Analog Devices lists “high performance audio” among the applications for the AD8610/AD8620 and, at around $10 each for the single part and $17 for the dual part, they aren’t cheap either. And, like the choices above, they’re overkill for headphone amp applications.

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #493 of 636
My x3 arrived today, I'm excited to give it a shot, but I'm having trouble getting set up if anyone can pass along some advice:

Updated the x3 firmware as per the instructions:  cleared the SD card before copying the .fw file, booted up to the update screen and everything seemed to go fine.  After the update I was brought to the menu to select my language, but I wasn't able to input anything and there was a notification on screen (in chinese, so I unfortunately can't read it).  The x3 shut off after a few seconds.  If I boot it back up I'm brought to what seems like the main menu with what seems to be an error message (all in Chinese, so I can't share what it says.  I'd be glad to upload a picture if anyone would like to take a look).

I tried re-installing the firmware and I'm having the same issue.  Any suggestions?  Did I miss an important step here?  Thanks for any help.

edit: hahah, I didn't switch the player off Hold.  Feeling pretty dumb, but at least I can enjoy my x3 now!  Sounds great!

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #494 of 636
Got my X3 a couple of days ago. Well, I'm a bit disappointed, and here is why. While it certainly sounds good, I really can't tell it apart from my Cowon D2+, or the CIip+. It has much more power to drive some big cans, but as I don't have those and use mainly use IEMS, I don't really care.
I'm using some nice IEMS, as SM3, DBA-02, RE-252 Sony EX600 and have also tested with Senn HD555.
I made a special switch with two jack plugs and one headphone output, so that I can switch from one DAP to the other without having to pull the headphones out. After normalizing the volume, and playing some high quality FLAC files, I am barely able to tell them apart.
Actually, the Cowon D2+ lacks a little thump on the low end, but the difference is really, really subtle. (that's the famous Cowon bass rolloff probably) The Clip + doesn't display this. Other than that, I really can't tell them apart. I expected a difference in the soundstage, detail reproduction,... but no. Then again, I was wondering how two players that display the same freq response could actually sound different, well, now I know. To my ears, they don't.
Here I'm talking about the Cowon set to flat, all settings off. Once I play with the BBE settings, I can get a much nicer sound.

This actually comes as a surprise. I consider myself a music lover (and I'm a musician), and I have a good hearing, but I'm probably not  an audiophile stricto sensu. From what I've read, I expected to be able to hear the differences easily. I am using some nice iems, and I can clearly tell the apart and hear what they've to offer. Not so with the different good DAPs.

My conclusion is that for me, it's not worth the hassle. The X3 interface is not terrible, but the Cowon's and Rockboxed Clip+'s is much better. Battery life is ridiculous compared to my D2+. It is also much bigger and heavier. The Cowon also has a better screen. It is also much faster....
The only reason why I'd consider keeping the X3 is for its powerful amp, if I need to power big cans. But I don't.

Sorry to be a mood killer, but that's my honest opinion. And I think some might actually think alike.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #495 of 636
  Got my X3 a couple of days ago. Well, I'm a bit disappointed, and here is why. While it certainly sounds good, I really can't tell it apart from my Cowon D2+, or the CIip+. It has much more power to drive some big cans, but as I don't have those and use mainly use IEMS, I don't really care.
I'm using some nice IEMS, as SM3, DBA-02, RE-252 Sony EX600 and have also tested with Senn HD555.
I made a special switch with two jack plugs and one headphone output, so that I can switch from one DAP to the other without having to pull the headphones out. After normalizing the volume, and playing some high quality FLAC files, I am barely able to tell them apart.
Actually, the Cowon D2+ lacks a little thump on the low end, but the difference is really, really subtle. (that's the famous Cowon bass rolloff probably) The Clip + doesn't display this. Other than that, I really can't tell them apart. I expected a difference in the soundstage, detail reproduction,... but no. Then again, I was wondering how two players that display the same freq response could actually sound different, well, now I know. To my ears, they don't.
Here I'm talking about the Cowon set to flat, all settings off. Once I play with the BBE settings, I can get a much nicer sound.

This actually comes as a surprise. I consider myself a music lover (and I'm a musician), and I have a good hearing, but I'm probably not  an audiophile stricto sensu. From what I've read, I expected to be able to hear the differences easily. I am using some nice iems, and I can clearly tell the apart and hear what they've to offer. Not so with the different good DAPs.

My conclusion is that for me, it's not worth the hassle. The X3 interface is not terrible, but the Cowon's and Rockboxed Clip+'s is much better. Battery life is ridiculous compared to my D2+. It is also much bigger and heavier. The Cowon also has a better screen. It is also much faster....
The only reason why I'd consider keeping the X3 is for its powerful amp, if I need to power big cans. But I don't.

Sorry to be a mood killer, but that's my honest opinion. And I think some might actually think alike.

Initially when I first bought the X3 I felt the same as you in regards to sound quality. I didn't think the X3 sounded much better, if any, than my old player. I don't know if it is break in or whatever but as I listened and compared more I began to hear differences. Not just differences but improvements. Yes, these are subtle but definitely real. You may not think that subtle differences or improvements are worth the hassle of what some do consider to be a sub-par UI and everything else people have found to complain about with the X3, some legitimate, some not, but ultimately it is these subtle differences that in the long run separate a player that you reach for everyday when you are on the go and one that sits on the computer desk collecting dust. Don't give up on the X3 so soon. Yes, it has some issues but in my opinion none of these issues have to do with sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back