[Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
Feb 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #31 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed three tiny flashing black lines forming a fast pattern (repeat every few seconds) on the yellow bar where the USB recharging signal is , and I have to pay very close attention to notice them. I really think it is more of a firmware (graphical UI) glitch than refresh rate issue as I didn't notice any actual flickering on the whole screen.

Good info, I am not to concerned about it just curious. Its not like you watch videos on it
wink_face.gif
. Thanks for the info!

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #32 of 195
Quote:

For $10 with free shipping on eBay, I'll say it is as good as a budget solution could ever get. At least the build quality is pretty decent.

Your a gem, many thanks for answering this for me - I'm off to place an order for some straight away.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #33 of 195
Thanks for for taking the time to post this review as soon as possible as I am sure many have been waiting. Well written with good comparisons so we get a relative ranking of sound quality which is hard to do with the written word.

When did you find out the chipset on the E7 amplifier was similar to E5? I am a bit disappointed the E7 amp is not a bit more robust and improved over the E5.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #34 of 195
I too am a bit surprised that the E5 was even mentioned in the same context as the E7. I thought the E7 was meant to be in a totally different league?

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #35 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for for taking the time to post this review as soon as possible as I am sure many have been waiting. Well written with good comparisons so we get a relative ranking of sound quality which is hard to do with the written word.

When did you find out the chipset on the E7 amplifier was similar to E5? I am a bit disappointed the E7 amp is not a bit more robust and improved over the E5.

Quote:

[size=large]SQ[/size]
First, let's talk about the line-in and headphone-out. While on early on FiiO has decide to keep the same chip set as E5 on the E7, the decision has been made in the last minute to switch from the original OPA2338UA to the better performing AD8692 by ADI.

If you were referring to that, I think what was meant is that early on in the design process, they were going to use the same chip set but later changed it.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #36 of 195
I think any assumption that E7 will be vastly better than E5 is problematic. In fact, I once said even T4 is not 4 times better than E5, if you consider the price difference ($100 vs $25). I am not sure how big an improvement can be qualified as 'big', but I do understand that in the audio world the price increment is almost alway exponential where the quality increment is not. For example, when I was planning to pick up my main portable amp 2 years ago, I auditioned the Pico with USB DAC. While it is a nice portable amp DAC, I certainly do not find it to be twice as good as 3MOVE (was almost $500 vs. $260 back then). Thus I bought 3MOVE knowing whatever I missed on Pico will no worth what I am willing to pay for it.

I have seen PCM270x based USB DAC being sold for almost $80 by itself. CMoy with OPA2134 on stripboard used to be sold on eBay for $80 just a few years back. In fact, there is almost no sub-$100 DAC amp just 2 years ago. The truth is, the WM8740 based DAC section on E7 alone can easily be priced over $100 if FiiO want to, not to mention the amp, the case, the screen and half a year of design and labor - but that won't fit their business model on offering bang for buck products. One thing I know for sure, FiiO has no plan to go into the higher-end of the business, and you shouldn't expect that policy to change any time soon.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #39 of 195
If you have $100+ budget and don't need a DAC, a mini3 or T3 will be nice.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #40 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poor ClieOS is busting his butt, and you want to know about the e9.............lol, me too!

Can we chalk this up as hyperactivity on my part?
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #43 of 195
Thanks for the review!

Nooow, this or the uDac, still trying to figure it out
wink.gif
. I don't think I care much for the amp (there's just no way I'm going to pair a Clip+ with an amp 6 times its size and I don't particularly care for my MDR-V6 nor do I really plan on dropping 300USD on a pair of HD600 anytime soon whereas my IEMs are all plenty loud, they could simply use some better quality input
wink.gif
so maybe the rave reviews of the uDac should help the decision... Now, FiiO, why don't you guys build a rockbox capable player into a Fiio E11
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #44 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review ClieOS. I was actually wondering how this amp sounds when paired with a pair of SM PL-30. Thanks

E7 will serve better than on board soundcard, which is what it is primary designed for and its noticeable benefit. PL-30 doesn't need much amping, but I am sure it will benefit from E7 bass boost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nooow, this or the uDac, still trying to figure it out
wink.gif

If you are only going to use it as a pure desktop DAC, uDAC seems to fit your bill. I am also thinking of picking one up to so I am get a line-out to my desktop amp once the local dealer has it in stock. It will be nice to compare its line-out to E7 line-out if E7 has a cradle by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back