[Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
Feb 7, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #46 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are only going to use it as a pure desktop DAC, uDAC seems to fit your bill. I am also thinking of picking one up to so I am get a line-out to my desktop amp once the local dealer has it in stock. It will be nice to compare its line-out to E7 line-out if E7 has a cradle by then.

I think a lot of people are going to be choosing between a Fiio E7 & the uDac. love the idea of the Fiio bass boost, since my MS1i's really need it. It would avoid using a software based EQ.

I'd be buying it almost exclusively as a desktop dac / amp - and having a DAC output would be nice if I want to pair it with a gainclone & speakers.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #47 of 195
But is the bass boost in the analog or digital stage? If the later, it's simply a different type of software eq, which can likely be beaten by a truly good software eq on your PC
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #48 of 195
My listening is currently split between my iphone and laptop, so this DAC/Amp is looking really nice (esp @ $80-85 msrp). With my current setup, I don't really hear the benefits of the Fiio E5 when I'm listening to my TF10s on my iphone (maybe this will change once my LOD arrives), but I do really appreciate the difference when I'm listening from my laptop. Should I expect a noticeable bump in SQ with these?

also, just wondering if you had an iphone/itouch and wouldn't mind taking a pic of it attached with the E7 (with the included band too)???
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #49 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I expect a noticeable bump in SQ with these?

If you are able to notice difference with E5 on your laptop, then difference with E7 will be more noticeable since WM8740 is probably a much nicer DAC compared to what in your laptop., not to mention the improved amp section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnagali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, just wondering if you had an iphone/itouch and wouldn't mind taking a pic of it attached with the E7 (with the included band too)???
biggrin.gif

I don't have an iPhone / iTouch (not a big Apple guy), but here is a picture of s:flo2 with E7. S:flo2 is about the same size as iPhone 3G, just a few mm off from each side.
attachment.php

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #51 of 195
i'm very interested in how the E7 stacks up against the ibasso D2 boa. they are very similar products and are geared towards a more budget audience.

also, just want to clairfy, are we certain that the review sample you received is the same as the final product?

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #52 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only problem is the S:Flo 2 doesn't really need an E7
tongue.gif

I actually A/B'ed s:flo2 and E7 (via USB) for the same music files yesterday. S:flo2 has slightly better transparency and treble while E7 mid and vocal are slightly warmer and sweeter - I would say the performance is very close as I don't feel a drop in SQ as I was switching b/w the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, just want to clairfy, are we certain that the review sample you received is the same as the final product?

Yes, I have confirmation from FiiO that my E7 (as well as all other review samples out there) is the final version. The actual final production will have a cleaner soldering than the review sample (as small batch required many hand soldering) but it should not affect the sound. I also learn that dfkt @ ABi (and here) will receive a sample as well, so those of you who want a different opinion might want to read his upcoming E7 review as well.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #53 of 195
The point about the sflo:2 is very interesting - in that case, I just might buy a new MP3 player instead of the E7. I wonder if you could get the sflo to act as USB DAC
biggrin.gif

Otherwise, I'm probably going to go for the uDac (which I've considered hooking up to a SmartQ V5 - I must be insane
wink.gif
)...

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #54 of 195
One of the point about getting a s:flo2 is that you don't need an extra amp to get good sound, though the line-out works fairly well with higher end portable amp (>$200).

On the other hand, E7 is designed for primary for laptop / netbook user with mp3 player that could also benefit from an amp.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #55 of 195
Thanks, that really helps me formulate my current thinking. Which is why I believe the E7 may not actually be that useful for me - I'm not gonna hook up the Clip I currently use for its smallness to a much bigger amp. And as far DACs go, the uDac seems to be better performer (at a somewhat higher price, of course, if/as/when I can import it to Switzerland) with more than enough juice to drive my IEMs and even most easier to drive cans (I currently only have MDR-V6 anyhow which I don't particularly care for).

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #56 of 195
if you buy a uDac wouldn't you have to get an amp as well? the uDac doesn't have an amp built inside it does it?

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #57 of 195
u can connect it straight to your phones if you wanted to or use it pure as a dac.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #58 of 195
Depend on the design of the chip, some DAC chip support volume control and require an opamp to boost the signal to line-level, but it might not have same output and current reserve as an independent amp section.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #59 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the point about getting a s:flo2 is that you don't need an extra amp to get good sound, though the line-out works fairly well with higher end portable amp (>$200).

On the other hand, E7 is designed for primary for laptop / netbook user with mp3 player that could also benefit from an amp.

LOL i think that just about described me... I'll definitely be getting one at some point

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #60 of 195
Hmm...
Well, a 20$ difference in price between the E7 and uDac, or even t3 is negligible to me if one stands out above the rest.

With a laptop/Itouch 3g -> TF10 setup, is the sq of the t3 or uDac noticeably better than the E7 for the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back