[Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
Feb 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 195
I appreciate the work you did ClieoS, but I think this review is a little biased and emotionally attached to said product. I don't think this is unusual though, as most people are emotionally attached when products first come out, and the real impressions generally come out a few months later.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 195
hmm even though the T3D does sound better, does the E7 pair decently well with the RE0, or is it a complete mismatch? i guess what i'm asking is should i even consider using the E7 with the RE0, or should i just stay away from it completely?

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate the work you did ClieoS, but I think this review is a little biased and emotionally attached to said product. I don't think this is unusual though, as most people are emotionally attached when products first come out, and the real impressions generally come out a few months later.

I would like to think I have reviewed so many things over the last few years that emotionally it makes no significant difference to me (of course, I can't be totally indifference as I am still just a human). Hence it is why all of the review I did do not totally depend on listening experience on a single product, but rather comparison b/w multiple objects in order to establish a common reference. In this case, my E7 impression is drew from a whole day of A/B'ing E7 against E1, E5, Derringer, T3D, T4, W1, 3MOVE, and all other gears that I have familiarized with. Every strengths and weaknesses all have their own reasoning, at least that is what I believe in.

There is no simple way for me to prove any of my words to you, but then again there will be more reviews and impressions to come and my words will be tested. That is what great about posting in a forum
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think someone who has better equipment on hand and has reviewed countless audio products can avoid being "emotionally attached" to this little budget amp. I get where you are coming from but that is common sense, and doesn't need to be said in a criticizing manner. It should go without saying that his impressions may change the longer he has had and used the E7.

ClieOS maybe you should change the thread title to [Initial Impression] FiiO E7 (warning: lot of pics!!!)
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 195
I guess if I was anticipating a product for more than months I wouldn't have a bias opinion either. It isn't a flame, its an interpretation of how I read it. I wanted to let people know that is how I read it. I am not saying that he should have never written this, I am saying that is how I read it. Clieos I think you respond with class, however, some of the other posters need to grow up a little.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #21 of 195
I am very sorry if you felt my post lacked maturity. I just feel bad that almost every time someone makes a review like this they end up defending themselves. Someone always posts something asking if being given the reviewed item for free sways the result of the review. Or questions the reviewer on being paid for the review. I don't think they should continually have the need to explain they are just trying to help out. Sometimes it is amazing that people like ClieOS, |joker|, and HeadphoneAddict keep doing it. It takes a lot of time to write up all these reviews. Again I did not mean to to seem rude at all, it just gets old.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #23 of 195
That is the nature of life, to question. That is what being an adult is. Everyone who posts on this forum is subject to a response. Everyone knows that before they post. There is no need to defend someone when they aren't even being attacked. The work was. There is a huge difference.

Sorry I have derailed this further, as this has nothing really to do with the review or the E7.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this case, my E7 impression is drew from a whole day of A/B'ing E7 against E1, E5, Derringer, T3D, T4, W1, 3MOVE, and all other gears that I have familiarized with.

Would you drop some lines comparing to 3Move and Nano HP out? These two are reference points for me, first is due to SQ, second for convenience and portability. Trying to understand E7 value as a portable amp for DAP, I can not rely on comparison to previous FIIOs. I have E3, E5, E1 and consider them as fun, but useless toys. Their SQ gain is questionable and hardly justify additional hassles to me. So I prefer either to use real amp (Pico, Supermicro) or go unamped.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 195
ClieOS have you noticed any flickering with the OLED screen? I read somewhere that the refresh rate can be a problem sometimes on OLED screens and can cause a flickering effect for some people.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #26 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm even though the T3D does sound better, does the E7 pair decently well with the RE0, or is it a complete mismatch? i guess what i'm asking is should i even consider using the E7 with the RE0, or should i just stay away from it completely?

Not a complete mismatch. I think E7 with bass boost Lv1 paired fairly well with RE0. If you like a warmer sound, Bass boost Lv2 is pretty good too, but Lv3 probably takes away too much detail. I am using Lv1 myself when I use RE0 with E7.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #27 of 195
Just out of interest is that Fiio iPod LOD shown in one of the pictures any good?

I'm in the market for a budget solution.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you drop some lines comparing to 3Move and Nano HP out? These two are reference points for me, first is due to SQ, second for convenience and portability. Trying to understand E7 value as a portable amp for DAP, I can not rely on comparison to previous FIIOs. I have E3, E5, E1 and consider them as fun, but useless toys. Their SQ gain is questionable and hardly justify additional hassles to me. So I prefer either to use real amp (Pico, Supermicro) or go unamped.

If I assume 3MOVE as my baseline, then T3D is close but still a little less refine on detail and doesn't do soundstage quite as well; T4 has a more noticeable drop in SQ, with lesser detail and transparent but have a likable warmness when paired with RE0; W1 is a little better than T4, with better detail and wider soundstage, but has a certain coloration of its own and doesn't have as much driving power as T3D. So W1 is closer (but better) than T4. I would consider E7 amp section to be very closer , but a tiny bit lesser than T4. It sounds colder and drier than T4, but has a better treble performance. T4 is more musical and has a better soundstage.

If you like a visual reference, it will probably be like this:
Nano's HO ≤ E5 < E1 << E7 ≤ T4 < W1 << T3D < 3MOVE.

My opinion is, if you have the budget and the will, just go as high as you can be. If you really want a very good performance ultra-portable, T3 will be a good choice. Given that you are coming from 3MOVE, I would think you might not be happy with anything equal or less than T4/W1 kind of performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshelton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ClieOS have you noticed any flickering with the OLED screen? I read somewhere that the refresh rate can be a problem sometimes on OLED screens and can cause a flickering effect for some people.

I have noticed three tiny flashing black lines forming a fast pattern (repeat every few seconds) on the yellow bar where the USB recharging signal is , and I have to pay very close attention to notice them. I really think it is more of a firmware (graphical UI) glitch than refresh rate issue as I didn't notice any actual flickering on the whole screen.

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #30 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of interest is that Fiio iPod LOD shown in one of the pictures any good?

I'm in the market for a budget solution.

For $10 with free shipping on eBay, I'll say it is as good as a budget solution could ever get. At least the build quality is pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back