Immersive headphone for ambient
Sep 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DeadWaves

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so thanks to this board i've sorted myself out with some nice bass head cans, pro 900 on the way that should more than satisfy my penchant for DnB/EBM type music, but I also listen to post-rock, LOTS of ambient and music with large soundscapes, I realise closed, heavily bass orientated cans will not be the best for these genres so i'm going to expand my collection (sorry about my wallet)

I am now looking for a headphone that makes the music feel like it is separated and surrounding you, something you could close your eyes and get lost in the atmosphere with. Ideally i'd like the sound to have a wee bit of body but bass light won't worry me too much for those genres, main thing I am looking for here is soundstage and immersion. I assume open headphones would be the best for this too.

Could go up to about £250. Any suggestions??

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 5
HD650 does ambient really well.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
HD650 does ambient really well.

Really? Awesome. I was actually suggested these in my last thread (for bass cans, I didn't know the soundstage was good enough for ambient) because I wanted to stay away from ultra shrill highs and I was told these are laid back, so twice now. If no one persuades me to get anything else I will definitely make these my first priority, with a good amp of course which i'll have to look into. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 5
I may be selling mine along with a HeadRoom desktop amp/DAC. I don't want to but I lost my job and need money. Let me know if you are interested.

they do have a present bass but also have a good soundstage and do really well with ambient and downtempo/chillout and the like. I actually like them with dubstep too believe it or not. 

Quote:

Really? Awesome. I was actually suggested these in my last thread (for bass cans, I didn't know the soundstage was good enough for ambient) because I wanted to stay away from ultra shrill highs and I was told these are laid back, so twice now. If no one persuades me to get anything else I will definitely make these my first priority, with a good amp of course which i'll have to look into. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back