I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3
Dec 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #91 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, just had a listen to P-51 (roughly 50hours) and Atrio (fully burned in) and I find that the overall sound does not have enough PRaT for me, coupled with a narrow soundstage (horizontally) and overly warm sound. I still prefer my iQube with the Atrio, the P-51 likes the ESW10JPN better.
wink.gif

I'm wondering if the Sony is helping the synergy overall, with the Mustang & Atrios.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #93 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn11 - what a bother to ask this as the atrio were my favs until now except for trance (which is my fav music genre) - have you had a listen to them with fast electronic (pref. trance) and heard a plasticky echo?

Hey Shigzeo-
I've listened to some electronic and industrial stuff (don't have any trance)... and I don't know if I just hear them differently than you, or if the v.2 has that remedied, but I don't hear any sort of echo. I think I heard a bit of 'plasticky' sound when using the Westone or Shure grey soft flex tips, maybe. But the JAYS tips really remove some of that plastic sound, or congestion, and brings some life into them. I really can't recommend those tips enough.

Maybe you can try to describe exactly how the tone is affected to you, and in what frequency range.... did you say earlier that it's in the bass? Sorry if this is having you repeat yourself (since I'm typing this).

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #94 of 269
well, i think that i am one of the only ones who listens to the atrio with fast trance music but, i sold it for only one reason: i could hear the soft plastic of the housing when listening to trance. i heard it in no other genre. no others were fast enough and had driving bass enough to convince me of the sound. even the boomy denon c700 did not make that sound but since either their plastic was harder or it was all aluminium, it did not irritate me.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #96 of 269
cn11, would you say the v2 atrios since juiced up on the high end is susceptible to sibilance? do you hear any and how does it compare to the w3's from a sibilance point of view?

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #97 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe i will just get atrio for backup pair and kept TF10P, giving a pass to IE8 and W3...

I'm still going IE8

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #98 of 269
Did a comparison on the same day. The W3 definitely sounded better with a fuller and warmer midrange.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #101 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is if you are a midrange person. i am not. it destroys my soundstage and my speed/detail

i've heard the W3 has a weaker mid-range but i mean i guess that is when its compared to say the se530s which are mid-range monsters. i've also read around here that the W3 and 530s have a very similar sound signature so that's why i want to go with the IE8 but that's to the USD it is $310 so the price gap is narrowing between IE8.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #104 of 269
Is the Westone 3 an upgrade over the Shure 530? If so is it even worth upgrading high end IEM for minimal improvement?

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #105 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn11, would you say the v2 atrios since juiced up on the high end is susceptible to sibilance? do you hear any and how does it compare to the w3's from a sibilance point of view?

The v.2 definitely has a little bit of harshness, over the original. I don't hear any sibilance on vocal 's', but there's a bit of bite to some notes in the mids & highs. It's not bad at all, very minor. The the W3's do it too, but on a smaller range of notes. But when it happens on the W3's it's pretty harsh. It kind of jumps out and surprises you because overall they're so smooth. The harshness on the Atrios affects a wider range of notes, but it's not so 'jump out at you'. And, my new Mustang amp pretty much gets rid of it.
biggrin.gif
These comments apply more to them being run straight out of the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back