I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3
Dec 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #76 of 269
Just ordered the IE-8s from computeruniverse.net, so I'll report back w/audio eval. when those arrive and have burned in. (Anyone know how long for USA delivery?)

Some preliminary thoughts...

Currently have Shure SE530 and EC2 IEMs. Both those have rotten cables -- fall apart after less than 4 mos use. I've had Shure replace the E500 2x. Sigh.

Experience with other "smaller" Sennheiser phones -- since my first pair from 1985 (anyone remember MS100s? Similar to the px100) -- as well as 580, 600 and 650 was positive wrt cable durability.

Reasons I chose the IE-8s (over W3):

(1) Prior experience with Senn 'phones: 650's are the best headphone I've heard (see my sig line for the phones I've compare this model with)

(2) Westone and Shure IEMs have a common engineering heritage. So, IMO, they will sound more alike than Westone and Senn. For me, then, even if the W3 is better rated (statistically) than E500/SE30 and equally-rated to (but different) than IE-8, then I will choose the IE-8 to hear what sonic gaps it fills (and what it misses).

(3) I respect the comments and judgments of the posters on this forum. Esp. because most have no commercial interest (at least TTBOMK!). EarphoneSolns and HeadRoom have comments and ratings on various models, incl. IE-8, but who knows who really wrote them? HeadRoom didn't rate the IE-8 all that well. But, I don't trust product-vendor opinions. Even Amazon seems to display their better reviews first!

Seems that more and more audio companies are getting into the IEM game. The competition, of course, is a good thing. Now, I really wish some of the other main players -- i.e. headphone/dynamic-transducer giants (esp. beyer and AKG) -- would enter the IEM arena.

Anyway, I'll post more after the IE-8s arrive...

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #77 of 269
no diggity,

Westone manufactured the original Shure E1 and the some of the earlier ultimate ears,

then again, the original Sennheiser IE4 was tunned by futuresonics,

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #78 of 269
I compared UM2 to Shure 530 over a number of days and it's just like a lot of high end audio stuff.

If I compare them analytically - which sounds more detailed, extended in high end, etc., the Shure won.

But when it came to sheer listening pleasure, I could not wait to get back to the Westone UM2.

People have different tastes I guess. I tried EVERYTHING available at the Head-fi event in June, San Jose a couple of years ago and the Westone UM2 was the best combination of comfort and overall musicality.

So I've been exclusive to UM2 for some time now.

As for Westone 3 vs UM2, I find them both wonderful. They have the same family sound. The 3 is a tad more detailed on top and bottom, but the UM2 might be a tad more seemless. Both excellent, I think you can't go wrong, PROVIDED that you....

give them some break-in time!! For example, the UM2 bass was muddy the first 50 hours or so.

I just let them play on my ipod on repeat for a few days to break them in.

Art

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #79 of 269
shigzeo, you need to bite the bullet for us HeadFiers and buy a CK100! I want someone to review them already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #80 of 269
yes i will take the leap of faith, sennheiser hasn't let me down before.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #82 of 269
with the dollar falling like a rock the past week the IE8 doesn't seem like the cheaper viable option of the two anymore. which saddens me since i was sold on buying the IE8 friday when i got paid. didn't expect the dollar to fall so fast after its been gaining ground.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #84 of 269
i would love to take the senn but as a now canadian, it is even much more expensive than our friends in the usa have to pay. for that reason, i have my 380$ waiting on a pair of ck100. however by the time i buy, they might be much cheaper than that. think about february timeframe. leftover christmas dosh goes to ck100

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #85 of 269
"I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3"

.....my answer to this is easy... I keep coming back to my v.2 Atrios after having owned both the IE8 & W3. Several things are coming together to make me realize this: 1) the new Atrio does much better in the highs & mids 2) JAYS silicon tips are working wonders on them, adding extra liveliness to the treble & detail 3) new RSA P-51 Mustang amp has great synergy with the Atrios.

This setup is providing some real soul-satisfying music. I am scared to say, it may all be there finally.
icon10.gif
I'm even debating putting the W3's up for sale........

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #86 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I'm starting it here... Sennheiser IE8 vs. Westone 3"

.....my answer to this is easy... I keep coming back to my v.2 Atrios after having owned both the IE8 & W3. Several things are coming together to make me realize this: 1) the new Atrio does much better in the highs & mids 2) JAYS silicon tips are working wonders on them, adding extra liveliness to the treble & detail 3) new RSA P-51 Mustang amp has great synergy with the Atrios.

This setup is providing some real soul-satisfying music. I am scared to say, it may all be there finally.
icon10.gif
I'm even debating putting the W3's up for sale........

What kinda of music do you listen?

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #88 of 269
Hmm, just had a listen to P-51 (roughly 50hours) and Atrio (fully burned in) and I find that the overall sound does not have enough PRaT for me, coupled with a narrow soundstage (horizontally) and overly warm sound. I still prefer my iQube with the Atrio, the P-51 likes the ESW10JPN better.
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #89 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cn11, u better be serious. This is mind blowing!

I know you like triple.fi but have to sell it due to fit. But how does SQ compare to all iem in your list of arsenal?

I am very serious! Keep in mind that I'm getting major help in the treble from the Sony, and now the JAYS tips. The effect the JAYS have on the SQ is not subtle. I think they better the Shure Olives. They really help liven up the Atrios. In comparison to everything I've had (most are now gone/sold, except for the W3), I like the combination of acceptable detail/soundstage/bass. I just find them really enjoyable overall.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #90 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kinda of music do you listen?

A bit of everything... rock/alternative/jazz/etc etc.... I just don't listen to classical very much. That's about the only genre I cannot comment on with the Atrios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back