I'm looking for "musical" headphones: srh840/tma-1/ath-m50/hd-25. Need input!
Jun 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

acsantos

New Head-Fier
Hi (again),

I'm
looking for some modern HP, and here's why:

I want to listen to music and have FUN. I dont care if it's coloured. For a more analytical listening, I have some mid-nineties DT990 600ohms.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have some portability for listening outside the house, but I'm willing to trade quality for portability.

Currently, I use my DT990 via a (also) mid nineties sony 550ES amp and (I think) it drives them fine: at half volume, it's too much volume!

However, they are open and: I have other people arround me and need isolation. After reading dozens of threads, I narrowed my choices to either the srh840, tma-1 or the hd-25.

The srh840 have a few cons: big, heavy, confort and (maybe) need an amp.

The tma-1 are portable, great SQ, light, confy?, pretty...

The hd-25 are (maybe) inferior to the tma-1, clamp more and are brighter.

I dont like excessive highs or sibilance, which is my concern with the senns.

My budget: MAX 200Euros

My concern with the tma-1 is with some indie/folk music.... I can, however, eq if needed.

I listen to: arcade fire, the national, bon iver, sigur ros, band of horses, my morning jacket, dylan, springsteen, pixies, radiohead, r. stones, muse, decemberists, black keys, etc. Also, some daft punk, hot chip, prodigy...

I REALLY like the tma-1 but I wonder if they are the right choice. Remember, I want FUN, not linear or analytical.

Has anyone used the tma-1 with this king of music. What about the other HP?

ANY input is apreciated. THANK YOU

PS: sorry about the wording, but english is not my first language, and I'm heavy on the port wine tonight :wink:

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 7
the shure srh840 is rather neutral so it is not a very wise choice for a fun headphone, personally i find them amazingly fun but ymmv.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 7
I found the 840 to be pretty much the opposite of what you're looking for: a one-way trip into snoozeville.

I used my TMA-1 with some of those bands.  It's definitely not their strength, especially over time.  If you're used to listening with the DT990s, you will probably really miss the peppy treble, and the bass will get a bit overwhelming, especially with stuff like Sigur Ros on your playlist.  That said, they do smooth things out to make stuff like The Black Keys easy to listen to.  All in all, they would be a decent choice, especially if you're willing to EQ.

I haven't heard the HD-25, but isn't it also a professional headphone designed for monitoring?

You might want to get some Ultrasones onto that list if you're after some fun, though they might be a bit too bright for those choices. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Actually, I find that, for longer periods, I listen to the DT990's with some eq (slight highs rolloff), cos I get inconfortable by some sibilance (maybe a source problem). Thats why I was considering the tma-1's: slightly dark, with some highs attenuation, but good response to eq. Also, I like some bass, meaning, to really hear the kick drum, well... kicking! And well defined, punchy bass.

Do you have some particular ultrasone recomendation? Thanks for your time :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 7
If you find the 990 sibilant, I'll just retract my Ultrasone recommendation--they really are best for those of us with ears of steel.

The TMA-1 might be just the thing for you.  Oooh, or Phiatons.  Check out the MS400.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 7
I think you may like the hd-25-1 II. The treble can be a bit hot on some songs but I usually find it to be just right. Also there is a slight mid bass hump which will make the bass drum sound exactly like you want. The main concern some may have is the soundstage and comfort over long periods of time. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the answers.

I'm gonna try out some tma-1 and see if I like the sound signature. If not, maybe the hd25 are the way to go... but I hear they are a bit too tight?

The phiaton's, I cant seem to find in europe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back