i'm looking for headphones mainly for hip-hop/pop/R&B mostly songs they mainly play on the radio
Jun 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ballin AZN

New Head-Fier
new to this site and i am looking for much needed help since i know nothing about what makes headphones good. i want headphones mainly for hip-hop/pop/R&B mostly songs they mainly play on the radio like nicki minaj, drake, chris brown, and etc.

My price range for headphones would be $300-350.

i am using these heaphones for home on my macbook OS X 10.5 and occasionally on my ipod but dont worry about my ipod usage cause if i go outside and use it, i will just use my earbuds. so to make myself clear i will only use this at home unless the headphone you recommend is portable too.

i also will buy an amp or whatever else you need that will make the headphones sound better too. if you do recommend and amp or what not please be specific cause i dont know anything about headphones or accessories needed
frown.gif

i also dont care about a lot of bass for headphones i just want to hear the songs like they were meant to be listened to. i have no idea if that makes sense or am i just talking nonsense.
atsmile.gif
But if bass headphones is what i need i dont care cause i have the Beats headphones. Yes i fell for buying the Beats im an idiot.
beyersmile.png

closed or open headphones doesnt matter to me so just list all types of headphones that suits my needs.

i noticed searching this site that everybody likes different headphones so i want you to also help me try to find one good headphone by sorting out all the suggestions i get for me cause unfortunately i cant afford a lot of headphones as i want
mad.gif
so just imagine that once i buy a headphone i can never buy one ever again and i will have to choose the best that will last my lifetime.

so please list the best headphones for me and i really appreciate your much needed help.
gs1000.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
thanks for the recommendation. can you tell me more about those headphones.

if anybody else has suggestions please list them thanks.

Very good sounding, a jack of all trades kind of headphones, that will play everything you give it rather good. They are priced very good as well. I would like to try the HD650's as well, but since I haven't, I can't recommend them. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 16
used pair of akg k601's and a fiio e9 amp, should be just about in your price range

k601's have the greatest and smoothest mids i've ever heard, excellent soundstage, good detail retrieval and no frequency bleeds into the other they're kind of bass light especially coming from beats but the bass is well extended and doesnt distract you from enjoying your music, these get my vote

also just in case you decide to go the cheap route, i would look into kicker hp541/monoprice 8323 and get a capable dac/amp combo, i use those for r&b and rap as well as some pop type songs 

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 16
The Denon D2000's have been discontinued if I'm not mistaken?

Out of curiosity, do you know if you prefer neutral sounding headphones, or "fun" sounding, because that was a huge factor for me...

neutral was a bit too bland for me, so I got headphones that enhanced music I liked, mainly hip-hop, rap, and R&B... (slightly enhanced bass, and mids put out front a bit more)

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
The Denon D2000's have been discontinued if I'm not mistaken?

Out of curiosity, do you know if you prefer neutral sounding headphones, or "fun" sounding, because that was a huge factor for me...

neutral was a bit too bland for me, so I got headphones that enhanced music I liked, mainly hip-hop, rap, and R&B... (slightly enhanced bass, and mids put out front a bit more)

i guess neutral i want to hear songs like they were meant to be heard if that makes any sense. im sorry i dont know a lot about headphones on a grade scale i would get probably a D or an F if i was quizzed on headphones thats why im asking for help from people i trust.
o2smile.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Very good sounding, a jack of all trades kind of headphones, that will play everything you give it rather good. They are priced very good as well. I would like to try the HD650's as well, but since I haven't, I can't recommend them. 

i know how you feel about trying those top priced headphones i want to hear what they sound like too.
k701smile.gif
thanks for explaining the denon d2000 headphones they sound really interesting. i will keep that in mind as one of my choices when i decide which headphones to get but not yet cause i want to hear other peoples opinions and if they agree that the denon's are the best choice i will definitely get them.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
used pair of akg k601's and a fiio e9 amp, should be just about in your price range

k601's have the greatest and smoothest mids i've ever heard, excellent soundstage, good detail retrieval and no frequency bleeds into the other they're kind of bass light especially coming from beats but the bass is well extended and doesnt distract you from enjoying your music, these get my vote

also just in case you decide to go the cheap route, i would look into kicker hp541/monoprice 8323 and get a capable dac/amp combo, i use those for r&b and rap as well as some pop type songs 

akg 601's never heard of those headphones very interesting but then again i know nothing about headphones.
biggrin.gif
so i now have two options the denon d2000s and the akg 601s paired with the fiio e9 amp. thanks guys this is more help than i expected you guys are the best. please if you guys have any more opinions on which headphones are best for me please go ahead and let me know and at the end i would like to do something like a poll or vote to see which ones i should get.

by the way where do u guys buy headphones from? i go to amazon.com and i live in the US(Hawaii)? do u guys know another site that have good deals? or how often headphones go on sale?

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #10 of 16
I would also consider the AKG K550's...
if you paired them with a decent amp they'd sound great...
pretty neutral sounding too, again, the D2000's have been discontinued....

Originally you could go to J&R, call them and request a lower priced and they would sell the D2000's at $215, which is a hugeeee deal...
but Denon's coming out with a new line of headphones, so they've been discontinued, you might have to find some D2000's in the for sale forums, or even ebay....

But also consider the K550's...

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I would also consider the AKG K550's...
if you paired them with a decent amp they'd sound great...
pretty neutral sounding too, again, the D2000's have been discontinued....

Originally you could go to J&R, call them and request a lower priced and they would sell the D2000's at $215, which is a hugeeee deal...
but Denon's coming out with a new line of headphones, so they've been discontinued, you might have to find some D2000's in the for sale forums, or even ebay....

But also consider the K550's...

ive seen some D2000s for full price on the internet so i can still get them. so which is better the AKG K550s , AKG K601s, or the D2000s? i know this is a really dumb question cause it is up the own persons ears to decide but in Hawaii there are no headphone stores. so please try and help me.

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 16
D2000's, Grado SR-225's, Grado SR-325's, or the Allesandro MS-2's (Grado SR-325's "de-fanged").  

But... if you get the D2000's, you're going to want to apply the Markl Mods (see the thread on "... The Best Heaphones In the World" (D5000's w Markl Mods))!  Probably, not worth the added effort compared to the Grados, unless you need a closed headphone.

My choice of all of these would be the SR-225's, or the MS-2's - very, very similar to the Grado RS-1's.

None of these will need an amp... but... will benefit from a high current, low impedence output amp (like the Grado RA-1).   With any of these you'll have sound that is - SUPERB - and very similar to the best available.  

And... yes... "just do it" - you'll get lost in all the detail otherwise.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 16
KRK KNS 8400. They're a steal at $150, are neutral and balanced across the board. They don't need an amp either.

If I were you though, I'd wait for the upcoming V-MODA M-100. Should be better for your genres.

EDIT: You're not disturbing anyone. Just go on and I'm sure you'll get some better, more useful feedback. It's good that you came to ask help on this forum.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 16
So a $300 headphone that goes best with Pop/Hip hop/R&B music with good bass (but not too much) and sounds good without an amp (but can sound better with one) using a Macbook or an IPod as a source? Sounds like you described the Pioneer HDJ-2000.

I wouldn't touch the AKG K550 for the music you like. Too resolving and not enough bass punch. The Denons will definitely need an amp and are not really portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back