I'm looking at either the Denon AH-D7100, Sennheiser HD 700 or Grado PS1000, which is the most balanced and detailed?
Oct 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Techno Kid

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been all about IEM's and have had quite a few but now I'm looking for a good full size headphone and I really don't know much about full size cans at all.  The ones I've listed are all around $1000 and I'm open to suggestions but want to keep it under $1500.  I'm really not picky when it comes to sound signatures, as long as they're balanced (mids can be a little forward) detailed with a large soundstage that has good imaging and separation.  So if anyone has heard the 3 I've mentioned or has others in mind that might work for me please  let me know, thanks.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 21
Hi Techno Kid

I am new here so I may not provide the best if any advice at all, but my Denon AH-D7100s came in about a week ago and my initial impressions are:

1. They are ridiculously comfortable, the pads and headbands are like marshmallows
2. They isolate fairly well, could not hear the door ring several times
3. Bass is extremely present when compared to my Denon AH-D2000s (Listening to Daft Punk's Solar Sailer)
4. Musical separation is clear with vocals being prominent (Then again, these are the first *high-end* headphones I've owned)
5. They are a fun sounding pair of headphone

As for the Sennheiser HD700, I do not own a pair or have heard them personally but I've read several reviews that they are over-priced for what you get, considering the construction is primarily plastic.

Hope this helps

James

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
Hi Techno Kid

I am new here so I may not provide the best if any advice at all, but my Denon AH-D7100s came in about a week ago and my initial impressions are:

1. They are ridiculously comfortable, the pads and headbands are like marshmallows
2. They isolate fairly well, could not hear the door ring several times
3. Bass is extremely present when compared to my Denon AH-D2000s (Listening to Daft Punk's Solar Sailer)
4. Musical separation is clear with vocals being prominent (Then again, these are the first *high-end* headphones I've owned)
5. They are a fun sounding pair of headphone

As for the Sennheiser HD700, I do not own a pair or have heard them personally but I've read several reviews that they are over-priced for what you get, considering the construction is primarily plastic.

Hope this helps

James

Thanks for the info, but when you say the bass is extremely present do they over power the mids and highs at all?  I like bass as much as the next guy but I like it to be more balanced with everything else, not bass light but it has to be there just not so much it takes over.

I'm also looking at the LCD-2's and from what I've read they might be the ones I'm looking for.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 21
I think you may want to try the difference between open & closed headphones in the first place. They are quite different & if you need isolation, then you probably focused on closed headphones.

I have both & if I'm going out, I'd most definitely use closed/isolated headphones. That's to say I can't use open headphones & crank up the volume but I don't think I want to annoy the people next to me too. But for home use or where it's quiet, I'd use open headphones.

Now specifically about the Denons AH-D7100, you may wanna read through the Denon threads. Personally for me, I tried them when they first came out. I didn't like them at and still don't. To me, the older D7000's were more balanced & sonically well controlled. However, comfort & isolation are top-knotch. Unfortunately it also means I can hear their imperfections more clearly.

But first, maybe you want to check on the isolation & closed vs open.

My 2 yen worth.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 21
After looking through all the threads I'm probably going to go with the LCD-2, it seems like it has the signature along with the detailed balanced sound I'm looking for.

I'll be using these at my house so I don't need a closed back or real amount of isolation so the LCD's should be great.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
But first, maybe you want to check on the isolation & closed vs open.

My brother owns the Beyerdynamic DT 880's and the difference between those and my Denon's is distinct, so +1 to trying open vs closed.

For me personally, I find the Denon's to be relatively neutral, with a slight/moderate emphasis on bass. Overpowering would probably be too strong a word to describe them, perhaps the bass could be considered hearty or fulfilling.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 21
I've listen to headphones before a couple open back and a few closed and I like the airiness that the open backs have, I don't mind closed but I think I'd prefer open because I'm not going to be using anywhere but my house.  The LCD-2 is said to be balanced with really good imaging and separation so thoughs fit what I'm looking for very well.  Even though I listen to a lot of EDM like techno, tech house, minimal, progressive and some trance I'm not a bass head but I like good clean bass.  If I think the LCD's are a little light on bass I can always EQ them or adjust my amp but I think they should have plenty.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 21
If your favorate is Ortofon, then Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheiser HD800 are what you are looking for. The tonal quality of T1 and HD800 is as good as that of Uniquemelody Miracle. The T1 is the best of the best phones for only classical music, for the reverberation of the electric guitar of T1 is so terrible in the other genres. Meanwhile, the HD800 might fit to your demand. Indeed, the completion of the great DT880 is not T1 but HD800 about the legendary sparkling and striking in the high peak of DT880 but as much bass as the Ortofon, V-sonic GR01, DBA-02, R-50, Sony MDR EX1000  (totally TDK BA200 are better than those) or even my Miracle. If you like great bass like Westone UM3X/ES3X, Alclair, JH13 or Heir Audio 6 but not so much as JVC FA-FX700 is the set of HD700.

The total quality of HD700 is not less than T1 or HD800, but these are the greatest cans for the Hard Rock. The tonal signature of HD700 is the completion of DT990 PRO, while that of HD800 is the completion of DT880, except the fancy elasticity of the T1.

On the other hand, the greatest IEM's for the mids forward among all universal earbuds are Earsonics M3 and Westone ES5 in the custom ones. The headphone have possess the frequency response for the mids forward are those: LCD-2/3, HIFIMAN H-500/H-6 and GRADO PS500 and Denon AH-D950/2000/5000/7000/71000. The tonal quality of LCD-2/3 is the best of the best among all cans, while the separation and soundstage of H-500/H6 are better than LCD-2/3. But the weigh of LCD2/3=550g, HIFIMAN HE500/HE6=500G, GRADO PS1000=500G, HD800=380g(feeling heavy even before 30 minutes). Infact, the tonal quality of Denon is one level lower than that of the others. The separation and soundstage of Denon is nicely splendid and wide but rather dull to compare with the others. Therefore, my D1100/2000/7000 are in the closet, while I have even two D950 and listening even now is the reason why I visit this room.

D950 was once the best headphones and better than even HD650 or DT880, but the tonal condition of the dynamic power and strength is steped back half a level from D950, while HD800 and T1 clearly took one level of the step foward. The total quality of D950 is better than my D7000 and a little less than LCD-2. In fact, I prefer D950 to my LCD2 or HE500 for the House music, the contemperary music and Jazz.

As far as Grado are concerned, all Grados RS2,RS1, PS-500/1000 and GS1000 are so great and I myself have all except PS1000 for its being so heavy. All Grados are so great for all round music from classical to the hard rock. I always regard my GS1000 are the almighty phones with the tube amplifirer and prefer to even HD700/800 and T1.           

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
If your favorate is Ortofon, then Beyerdynamic T1 and Sennheiser HD800 are what you are looking for. The tonal quality of T1 and HD800 is as good as that of Uniquemelody Miracle. The T1 is the best of the best phones for only classical music, for the reverberation of the electric guitar of T1 is so terrible in the other genres. Meanwhile, the HD800 might fit to your demand. Indeed, the completion of the great DT880 is not T1 but HD800 about the legendary sparkling and striking in the high peak of DT880 but as much bass as the Ortofon, V-sonic GR01, DBA-02, R-50, Sony MDR EX1000  (totally TDK BA200 are better than those) or even my Miracle. If you like great bass like Westone UM3X/ES3X, Alclair, JH13 or Heir Audio 6 but not so much as JVC FA-FX700 is the set of HD700.

The total quality of HD700 is not less than T1 or HD800, but these are the greatest cans for the Hard Rock. The tonal signature of HD700 is the completion of DT990 PRO, while that of HD800 is the completion of DT880, except the fancy elasticity of the T1.

On the other hand, the greatest IEM's for the mids forward among all universal earbuds are Earsonics M3 and Westone ES5 in the custom ones. The headphone have possess the frequency response for the mids forward are those: LCD-2/3, HIFIMAN HE-500/HE-6 and GRADO PS500 and Denon AH-D950/2000/5000/7000/71000. The tonal quality of LCD-2/3 is the best of the best among all cans, while the separation and soundstage of H-500/H6 are better than LCD-2/3. But the weigh of LCD2/3=550g, HIFIMAN HE500/HE6=500G, GRADO PS1000=500G, HD800=380g(feeling heavy even before 30 minutes). Infact, the tonal quality of Denon is one level lower than that of the others. The separation and soundstage of Denon is nicely splendid and wide but rather dull to compare with the others. Therefore, my D1100/2000/7000 are in the closet, while I have even two D950 and listening even now is the reason why I visit this room.

D950 was once the best headphones and better than even HD650 or DT880, but the tonal condition of the dynamic power and strength is steped back half a level from D950, while HD800 and T1 clearly took one level of the step foward. The total quality of D950 is better than my D7000 and a little less than LCD-2. In fact, I prefer D950 to my LCD2 or HE500 for the House music, the contemperary music and Jazz.

As far as Grado are concerned, all Grados RS2,RS1, PS-500/1000 and GS1000 are so great and I myself have all except PS1000 for its being so heavy. All Grados are so great for all round music from classical to the hard rock. I always regard my GS1000 are the almighty phones with the tube amplifirer and prefer to even HD700/800 and T1.           

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 21
Based on your selection, I will get Grado PS-1000, but if I had to pick one headphone for most use, I will get HD800. :)

- HD700 built with just cheap plastic, feels like you can break it with one finger. :frowning2: 
- AH-D7100 not worth $1200 IMO.

You will be surprised to hear the sound quality of PS1000, I was impressed, this is on my next wishlist :wink:

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Based on your selection, I will get Grado PS-1000, but if I had to pick one headphone for most use, I will get HD800. :)

- HD700 built with just cheap plastic, feels like you can break it with one finger. :frowning2: 
- AH-D7100 not worth $1200 IMO.

You will be surprised to hear the sound quality of PS1000, I was impressed, this is on my next wishlist :wink:

I may be biased, but i have yet to find something i don't like about my PS1000s, aside for their weight of course.

May 16, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 21
I dont understand why all the hate for the 7100's. The answer I most commonly hear is they are not as good as the 7000's, but this is a terrible argument. They are different and intended for different purposes. They have strengths and weaknesses compared to the 7000's. The value they provide and the features they have are unequalled by any other headphone period! Especially, being at around $800 dollars now, there is no headphone that can compete with their portability/iphone friendliness, comfort, isolation, pack-in items, sound (excellent sub base, mids and decent sound stage and highs). I think the only area where they are bested by the 7000's are their highs but they offer so much over the 7000's - lows, mids, isolation and portability. Vs the ed 8's they have better base better sound stage come with more stuff removable cables and are cheaper.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 21
You actually heard D7100 ? one word, WEIRD. It sounds just weird to me.
Based on the MSRP, I would never buy back D71k, I will value about $300 max.  Instead get UE8 or HD800 if you have the budget.

Trust me, D71k sounds just weird.

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 21
At current UK prices, AH-D7100 felt like excellent value, so in spite of many negative comments, I decided to give them a try. (I had also found a lot of positive comments on them, but the positive ones seem to be overshadowed by the negative ones.)

Everyone who has given them good reviews has mentioned that they need serious burn-in before they can show how good they are. I can understand that: straight from the box the bass is not good, it does not go really deep, but can be overwhelming and quite unpleasant. The mids and highs are not that bad and I believe the highs will open up nicely. I would not call the sound weird.

They are easy to run without an amp, very comfortable and isolate well, which is what closed hp's are for.

After a few tracks straight from the MacBook Pro, I changed to the proper cable and went with Schiit Bifrost DAC and Lyr amp. The overall balance is very promising already, and the bass behaves much better. 

It is too early to say how they will compete with my open Hifimans, but I am quite sure I will be very happy with the purchase. After a few days' burn-in I will compare them with ATH-A900XLTD even if this may not be a fair comparison, as the LTD's are half of AH-D7100's original list price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back