I'm in Japan and don't know what to do! (next stop PRC)
Jul 31, 2014 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soltenebrum

Head-Fier
Hi there folks. I've got a pretty hefty IEM shopping list and I was hoping that you could help me trim it a bit. (I started reading reviews, impressions, etc. around 4 months in advance and I wasn't able to decide yet T.T) Prime source is a 5th Gen iPod Touch.

From Japan
Zero Audio ZH-BX700 Carbo Doppio - Found these for around 11300 yen (roughly 110$)
JVC HA-FXT90 - around 4600 yen
TDK IE800 - around 7800 yen
Ortofon e-Q5 - around 12500 yen
Sony XBA-40/30 (30 seems harder to come by)- around 14000 yen

From PRC
Vsonic GR07 - would cost around 100$ I reckon
Vsonic VC1000 - 120$ probably

Total budget is like 270-330$. I listen to all kinds of rock and metal (technical death metal, black metal, sometimes djent and similar stuff mostly) and a little bit classical (mostly Vivaldi with some Wagner and sometimes Mozart)
Although I do enjoy my Beyer DT1350 and Senn Amperior quite a lot, following "improvements" would be very welcome;

Beyer
-It sounds as if it gets a bit distorted for complex and fast stuff (namely death, black metal, though it pleases with rock)
-It could be a little more spacious
-Sometimes cymbals sound too real life-like for my taste (I wear earplgus for them normally) (an example would be Psycroptic stuff, though it might be due to bas mastering but I wouldn't know)
-Better isolation

Senn
-Little more space, maybe better mids
-Better isolation

Also I would appreciate a lot if anyone would be able to share a brief comparison of Vsonic VC1000 and Zero Audio Carbo Doppio.

As a newb, I'm not 100% keen on terminology and stuff, but I this will do. Thanks in advance. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 11
free bump for you.
 What about trying to find something not easily available except there? I dunno just a thought.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 11
The Carbo Tenore are pretty good for 3509 Yen. --- they're a better value than the Carbo Doppio, which don't sound bad (most of Zero Audio's stuff is decent for the price), but the Tenore are the better deal.

In the PRC, look for the BBK Vivo XE800; they're basically the same thing as the GR07 (OEM'ed by VSONIC), except with a more iPod-like color and slightly nicer ergonomics.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 11
Go to e-earphone in Akihabara; it may have the most extensive selection of earphones to audition in Tokyo. 

Fujiya-Avic also has a massive selection but a lot of the gear is behind the counter or in glass display cases so auditioning is more difficult.

The large electronics superstores often have 100+ models to check, but there is a lot of noise from the nearby TV and stereo equipment. So listening is not ideal.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 11
  free bump for you.
 What about trying to find something not easily available except there? I dunno just a thought.

Think of the shipping costs you'd save on stuff like the Tenores Nick.

But definitely right about taking advantage of things location-exclusive. Last time I grabbed a bunch of A-T stuff along the way. CK100PROs, CKM500s, etc, the works. Did I save oodles? I probably didn't, to be honest.

On that note, look into some of the A-T stuff that's Japan only. Wouldn't know about the new IM or CKR stuff though.
The Ortofons are a good deal too. Paid a lot more than that if I recall. Those IE800s are at a good price too, and they stopped making them which makes it all the more worthwhile.

Those all look good to be honest. I'd buy them all (apologies to your wallet). With the exceptions of the VSonics. The places where you can find them online don't have terribly expensive shipping, and the prices will probably not deviate much (educated guess). Probably not as urgent as some of the other deals you've listed.

But more importantly; you're on vacation (I presume) so you're likely to spend oodles and oodles on overpriced food and souvenirs, whether you'd want to or not. So go ahead and splurge.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks guys for your replies. I spent half of the day auditioning stuff and I ended up buying JVC FXZ100, TDK IE800 and ZA Carbo Tenore. Snatched those beauts for about 26000 yen. Included accessories disappoint though.

That sounds pretty sweet actually. Any clue on where I might find them?

But more importantly; you're on vacation (I presume) so you're likely to spend oodles and oodles on overpriced food and souvenirs, whether you'd want to or not. So go ahead and splurge.

Well, I thought the same until a super nice guy I met yesterday invited me to the best sushi-ya I've ever seen and covered all the expenses. No strings attached. Japanese are ridiculously kind and giving. Paying for food is overstated I guess.
biggrin.gif

P.S. I'm a regular dude.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks guys for your replies. I spent half of the day auditioning stuff and I ended up buying JVC FXZ100, TDK IE800 and ZA Carbo Tenore. Snatched those beauts for about 26000 yen. Included accessories disappoint though.

Well, I thought the same until a super nice guy I met yesterday invited me to the best sushi-ya I've ever seen and covered all the expenses. No strings attached. Japanese are ridiculously kind and giving. Paying for food is overstated I guess.:D

P.S. I'm a regular dude.

Do audition the ckr series. Particularly the ckr9s ifpoasiblw, but dont discount the ckr10s either.

They have the best bass quality i ever heard in my lifetime so far.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 11
I am yet to try an IEM that would justify its 200$+ price tag. I'm more of a the more the merrier type of guy. Though I thought CKR7 was quite nice. I'm not sure why I didn't pick it over FXZ100. Rather than a fault on FXZ100's behalf, I can't recall the exact reason. I think I filled up my quota for Japan. Hope Vsonic releases VSD5 soon.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 11
I am yet to try an IEM that would justify its 200$+ price tag. I'm more of a the more the merrier type of guy. Though I thought CKR7 was quite nice. I'm not sure why I didn't pick it over FXZ100. Rather than a fault on FXZ100's behalf, I can't recall the exact reason. I think I filled up my quota for Japan. Hope Vsonic releases VSD5 soon.

Wasnt the ckr9 discounted at 18789 yen over there?

This earphone imo, is justified.

But i understand why you believe that $200 may be hard to justify purchasing over a bundle of sound signatures

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 11

You mean a retail destination? Don't know. Have never been to the People's Republic. However, BBK Vivo is a large enough company such that it should have boutique showrooms in major shopping centers all around China, or at least that's what I presume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back