I'm giving the ER4P another go round.
Jun 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Del Griffith

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had these in the past when I was younger and more into bass heavy music and ended up selling them. Well Buy,com sent me a nice coupon (for anything when using paypal) so I decided to give these another try. My current quest for detail instead of pounding bass has me interested. First off I was surprised by how much smaller they seemed when inserted with the small triple flange. They are barely noticeable..remind me of the Klipsch Image 10 the way they look in ear. ( I know Image is much prettier...just mean the barely there look.). I am surprised as well with the amount of bass when using the bass boost on my xm4, for me it makes it more noticeable, but not overbearing. Of course the highs are sweet and the mids are nice but not as forward to me as on my Um3x. Over all I am liking them very much in these first few days, I have no comfort issues and the microphonics have never been much of an issue with me. I really want to spend the next week going through my ipod library listening to different genres and female voice music. I always find that a neutral earphone like these sound amazing with older stuff like Elton John and James Taylor imho.
Does anyone know if the design was updated to be a little smaller recently? Every review on amazon etc, spoke of how Frankenstein they look. To me and my wife they are barely there. Maybe they are more noticeable with the other tips, I have only used the small triple flange cuz I like the fit/feel.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 21
With the fit I think it depended on how deep the person inserted the phones. Using foam tips they stick out a bit more than the Triple Flanged (which I don't really use) so I guess that's where the comments could come from.

I sold my UM3Xs and got these and love them; not as bass heavy nor mid oriented like the UM3Xs (similar to what you said) and going to the 4P-4S made everything better. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 21
The ER4 hasn't been updated since they pulled the resistor out of the ER4S and made it a P.  I don't see the ER4's changing at all in the next 10 years.  Ety might add in a mic.....

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
I sold my UM3Xs and got these and love them; not as bass heavy nor mid oriented like the UM3Xs (similar to what you said) and going to the 4P-4S made everything better. 

I am in the same boat..I am having a hard time seeing any improvement with my $310 um3x to these which I payed a third of that for. Using my xm4 amp both having the bass boost on I am enjoying the same level of bass and the mids are not noticeably different to me. I am so shocked. If only the ety's were designed to be flush and around the ear the way the Westones are...I would be in heaven...

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 21
Yea.... are you using the 4Ps or 4Ss? After going to the Ss with an adapter (getting a different one shipped to me later on this week) I can't go back to the Ps; they just don't sound "right" compared to the Ss. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 21
IIRC, they changed the cable a little bit but overall the ER4 series remains pretty much the same.

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
IIRC, they changed the cable a little bit but overall the ER4 series remains pretty much the same.

Forgot about that.  They added twisted pairs for microphonics if I recall.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 21
I think as they are they're not really good for most genres that have any real level of sub/low bass because you just don't hear it, but with a generous amount of EQ fiddle they sound very balanced, detailed as ever and warm even if you add a slight mid bass bump.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 21
I actually think that my Etymotic HF5 sounds very good for most genre. They have such precise and tight sub bass that I can hear. And with a generous amount of EQ I actually like them less as it becomes less natural and balanced.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 21
I mean that's the thing, people have very different understandings of what is balanced and neutral. Hell, people may hear certain frequencies better or worse than others. Frame of reference might be another component. I listened to my PX100s for ages before I found this place so I'm probably bass biased now as a result. Different music too. A lot of the older death metal I listen to has bass you can barely hear, so EQing it up is basically a necessity.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 21
Del,

I took a step back myself and bought a pair of ER-4P's from a Head-Fier.  I always wanted to hear them and be able to use them as a reference. (Their longevity and reputation are legendary)  When I first started looking at better IEM's (after I purchased my Klipsch S4's) I did some research on Amazon and iLounge and they both recommended the ER-4P's, but after listening to and loving my S4's I didn't think I'd be able to live without the bass.  Well, after owning and listening to these Ety's for just over a week, I wish I could kick myself in the arse.  If I purchased these after my S4's, I would have saved myself a few hundred dollars.  I'm enjoying these directly from my iPod Touch and from my PC as well.  The original owner of the Ety's was kind enough to include a brand new FiiO E3 with my package.  I was skeptical at first since that amp is so simple in design and function, but now I'm hooked.  From what I've read the E3 has a small bass boost built in.  That simple little amp with its little bump in the low end and highs really make the ER-4P's perfect for me.  It even improved my Grado SR60i's!!

After listening to them for a few days, I went back to my IE8's and I was blown away how different they sound to me now.  The 8's sound very bass heavy and bloated to me now and the bass adjuster is only set to 3!!  My 8's are now up for sale/trade for a better quality DAC/AMP..

If I knew then what I know now..  I would have bought the ER-4P's and a quality DAC/AMP and saved myself some money and time doing research on here... LOL

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Del,

I took a step back myself and bought a pair of ER-4P's from a Head-Fier.  I always wanted to hear them and be able to use them as a reference. (Their longevity and reputation are legendary)  When I first started looking at better IEM's (after I purchased my Klipsch S4's) I did some research on Amazon and iLounge and they both recommended the ER-4P's, but after listening to and loving my S4's I didn't think I'd be able to live without the bass.  Well, after owning and listening to these Ety's for just over a week, I wish I could kick myself in the arse.  If I purchased these after my S4's, I would have saved myself a few hundred dollars.  I'm enjoying these directly from my iPod Touch and from my PC as well.  The original owner of the Ety's was kind enough to include a brand new FiiO E3 with my package.  I was skeptical at first since that amp is so simple in design and function, but now I'm hooked.  From what I've read the E3 has a small bass boost built in.  That simple little amp with its little bump in the low end and highs really make the ER-4P's perfect for me.  It even improved my Grado SR60i's!!

After listening to them for a few days, I went back to my IE8's and I was blown away how different they sound to me now.  The 8's sound very bass heavy and bloated to me now and the bass adjuster is only set to 3!!  My 8's are now up for sale/trade for a better quality DAC/AMP..

If I knew then what I know now..  I would have bought the ER-4P's and a quality DAC/AMP and saved myself some money and time doing research on here... LOL

Thanks for the reply JR... I am really blown away too by these. I was just listening to them after a busy day running everywhere.. I plopped on the couch and put on Sara Mclachlan Afterglow live. I got so lost in it that before I knew it an hr went by (amp shuts of after an hr) and I was just in audio nirvana I guess. I can't get over how nice the bass sounds with the bass boost on of the xm4...I know maybe "real" is not the term when boosting bass...but the drums sound just like they do when I'm at a concert...punchy and deep. Also was listening to Phoenix tonight and the bass is superb on 1901. Looking forward to more listening in the next few days. I enjoyed reading your thoughts JR.. Cheers..

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 21
Good to read man. The P-S adapter really levels things out and gives it a more neutral sound that I love more than the P. I personally, can't go back to the P; the ER4S is waaaay better IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back