IM DONE WITH THEM (help me get some decent headphones)
Jul 24, 2011 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

silver__wombat

New Head-Fier
So today I broke my turtle beach HPA2's. I baby my headphones, there always placed on my desk with care. I have broke too many headsets in the past and wanted these to last. Well today I took them off and got up from my computer, and they fell the less then 3 feet to my carpeted floor and the right can slit in two. I could easily fix this but ****** it, this i literally only the third time my headphones have fallen off my desk in the almost a year I have owned them. So im done with cheap and well not so cheap gaming headsets.

In the past I have owned my fair share of gaming headsets.

Steelseries 5HV2
Steelseries Siberias
New Edimensional Audiofx Pro
Logitech G35 
Turtle Beach HPA2

All of which broke ~1 year of ownership. So I'm tired of replacing my gaming headset every year. Recently I've been gaming less and less so my priorities have changed in what I look for in headphones/ headsets. My number one priority used to be a headset that was good for gaming with good directional sound. 

So now I'm looking for headset/ headphones that first and foremost are going to be of high quality and produce high quality sound for music and movies with a little bit of gaming here and there. I say headset/ headphones because I really do enjoy the ease of use of a headset but I'm not against using headphones and a aux mic. I listen mostly to house, trance, dubstep and other electronic music, so I would be looking for headphones that can produce nice bass. I don't need subs strapped to my head but I would like headphones that can produce nice, clean yet still solid bass. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure most of the replies I get are going to be for headphones so could I also get some reccomendations for a good aux mic? Desktop mics are ok but I would prefer something I could stick to the side or on top of my monitor.

P.S. Id like to spend less then $150 but just to see what out there lets say I dont want to spend more then $200 on these headphones.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Cannot go wrong with a pair of Shure SRH-840's, SRH 550DJ, Sony MDR-V6, and or Sennheiser HD 555.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/index.htm

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 8
These could save your next headphones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HH-10-Headphone-Storage/dp/B000IDYH12/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I319IF6XLGSBY7&colid=LOCDWJFQZOI1

They're built for Sennheisers but of course they'll function with any headphones. Just clamp them to your desk and rest your phones on them after your done.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 8
Since you mentioned gaming, that really limits your selection of headphones, a pair of ultrasones would have been great for your music but they are not known for gaming. I would recommend reading this thread. The Creative Aurvana Live seems to fit the bill 
atsmile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Since you mentioned gaming, that really limits your selection of headphones, a pair of ultrasones would have been great for your music but they are not known for gaming. I would recommend reading this thread. The Creative Aurvana Live seems to fit the bill 
atsmile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

have anymore info on these ultrasones? I looked at there site and I like them alot. I could really care less about the headphones gaming ability like I said, I only game ever now and then and I dont play competitively like I used to.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 8
there is a few ultrasones under the price of $200, I ordered myself a pair of ultrasone dj1 pro and they will be arriving soon. Under $200, your choices are the dj1(same as hfi 580) , dj1 pro (same as pro550), hfi 680, hfi 780.You should to do some research on the ultrasones since the lowest model hfi580 seems to be the most bassy for some reason.

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 8
I say go with the Shure SRH-840, these IMO the best balanced sound in that price bracket, however, if you like an emphasis on bass, then go ultrasone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back