igrado impressions
Jun 21, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When comparing cans I definitely have to compare closed cans to closed cans and open ones to. . .

What open cans have you heard that sound THAT much better?

iGrado, SR60, SR80, Vibes (technically open), Koss' own Portapro, Senn PX100 and the list goes on. This KSC75 madness has to stop. YES they sound amazing for the price. NO that does not mean that they beat every headphone on the planet under $100. It's hard to argue with the value, but value does not equal sound quality and some of us here, myself included, would rather pay a few (or many) extra bucks for better quality. KSC75 does not make all other headphones under the $100 mark redundant.

Back to the OP - the iGrado is a great little streetstyle, very much like the SR60. I found the iGrado to have slightly more bass than the SR60 and was generally a lot of fun to listen to across a number of different genres (good for Rock, Metal and IDM, AMAZING for hip hop). I ended up replacing the iGrado with SR60s for no other reason than the fact that I just can't seem to get used to the fit of anything but a traditional headband - although I can't say the iGrado was uncomfortable, they fit me rather well.

It's a dense market with solid offerings at that pricepoint, but try to get a chance to listen to them. They are a great entry-level headphone.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 29
Agreed - I don't know why but I tend to forget about that little wonder. The PK2 caused quite a commotion at the last Toronto meet (just after they were released). I think they probably got the most universal praise out of everything available.

Jun 21, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean disagreement or fascination from people?

No, it was pretty much universally lauded as being an excellent earbud. Impressive little things!

Jun 21, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES they sound amazing for the price. NO that does not mean that they beat every headphone on the planet under $100. It's hard to argue with the value, but value does not equal sound quality and some of us here, myself included, would rather pay a few (or many) extra bucks for better quality. KSC75 does not make all other headphones under the $100 mark redundant.

Exactly. Headphones like the eH350 at $80-$100 murder them for neutrality and the MS1 at $100 murder them for fun-ness.

I'd say the KSC75's murder most under $50.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iGrado, SR60, SR80, Vibes (technically open), Koss' own Portapro, Senn PX100 and the list goes on. This KSC75 madness has to stop. YES they sound amazing for the price. NO that does not mean that they beat every headphone on the planet under $100. It's hard to argue with the value, but value does not equal sound quality and some of us here, myself included, would rather pay a few (or many) extra bucks for better quality. KSC75 does not make all other headphones under the $100 mark redundant.

Have you recabled your KSC75? I know stock the KSC's lower frequencies can get a little muddied, but others say that it opens 'em up a lot more, Grado-style.

And I've definitely seen a good number of posts saying that people enjoy the FUN-NESS of their *stock* KSCs over cans that they spent sooo much more money on, including those Grados that you mention.

Like I said, I seriously doubt that those cans you mentioned are worth THAT much more money for what extra you're getting. MS-1 is prolly a different story at $100, tho. Just seems to be a better value than the SR60 & SR80.

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And are/were the KSCs recabled??

Yes...I recabled with 2m of Valhalla cable and I swear....I couldn't tell a difference.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes...I recabled with 2m of Valhalla cable and I swear....I couldn't tell a difference.

Hey Brook... have you tried the impedance adapter with an amp??

If I can't improve the detail in the bass, I will prolly buy the MS-1 quicker than expected.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

To make them sound their best, read this: iGrado mods and this...instructions.

Nice Mod, wanna try them myself...

Quote:

I've owned all four. In order of preference:

MS-1
iGrado
SR-60
KSC-75

Brookr, could you give a comparison about MS-1 vs iGrado, cause I really tempted to buy it in near future. Tx

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #29 of 29
I just got a pair of igrados, I don't know if things have changed since 07, but to my ears they sound FANTASTIC even un-modded. My only complaint is that in certain music distorted guitars do not sound super crisp. But other than that the bass is full and deep, mids are perfectly clear and audible, and the highs are slightly rolled off and unintrusive, just how it ought to be for a pair of street cans like these IMO. anyone else listened to the most recent igrados? seems like a steal for fifty bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back