iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #871 of 1,761
Both :)

At the moment, I have the Zen DAC v2 hooked up to my windows box, and the Tone2 Pro to my MAC. The reason is that Apple does not yet offer a Apple Music client for windows that will stream lossless. Otherwise I would have no need for the tone 2 pro at home, and it would be in my office at work.

1) There is no noticeable difference sonically running RCA or balanced, especially when all paths lead to the CAN.
2) Balanced is running from the Zen DAC to the CAN. RCA from Tone2 Pro to the CAN.
3) The benefit of this setup is that if I can switch with the press of a button from the balanced input (Zen DAC v2) on the CAN to the RCA input on the CAN (Tone 2 Pro), and leave everything else connected without getting messy or complicated. If I want to listen to Apple lossless, hit a button, start listening, and vice versa back to Windows.
I'm staying at Tidal for now. No exclusive mode on Apple Music and no Roon integration..

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #884 of 1,761
Almost certainly ifi will be looking to ensure they have a piece of kit that taps into the market Apple just opened up for lossless. Their mobile offering is limited at the moment.
Yeah I also think so
The guess is based on two things
1) Apple just opened the market wide
2) All of the many ifi offerings are way overblown in terms of price or don’t effectively deal with the problem of “mobility” well - every mobile offering from ifi is a chonky pocket dweller that practically needs its own carrying case

if they want in, they have to see that the market is demanding high res lossless without the massive footprint. Even THX got it, hence their new ONYX DAC

Lots of other cost effective solutions for mobile emerging (see previous post for just a few)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #885 of 1,761
The guess is based on two things
1) Apple just opened the market wide
2) All of the many ifi offerings are way overblown in terms of price or don’t effectively deal with the problem of “mobility” well - every mobile offering from ifi is a chonky pocket dweller that practically needs its own carrying case

if they want in, they have to see that the market is demanding high res lossless without the massive footprint. Even THX got it, hence their new ONYX DAC

Lots of other cost effective solutions for mobile emerging (see previous post for just a few)
I use the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 buds for on the go so I'm fine. Also Fiio is very good with portable DAC/AMP's like the Btr5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back