iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!!
Aug 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #166 of 355
Hey guys,

I got an iTube from Vincent a couple of weeks ago so that I could release this review, since officially launched it today here is my review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-itube/reviews/9465 (hopefully it's OK for me to put this here, but please let me know if I screwed up :S)

Originally posted on my blog here: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/ifi-itube-review.html

I hope you like it :)

Any extra questions about the iTube please feel free to give me a shout. I have only seen this thread today so I haven't been posting (didn't think I was allowed to anyway), but I will check back from time to time to see if anyone asks anything.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #167 of 355
Good review.After my brief (so far) time with the itube I agree with your comments

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #168 of 355
nice review. I currently use a little dot III as a pre to my i-Can, be interested to see how the i-tube compares.  Where can you buy these in the uk? can't seem to find any on their suppliers sites.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #169 of 355
Hi,

Quote:
Hey guys,

I got an iTube from Vincent a couple of weeks ago so that I could release this review, since officially launched it today here is my review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-itube/reviews/9465 (hopefully it's OK for me to put this here, but please let me know if I screwed up :S)

Originally posted on my blog here: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/ifi-itube-review.html

I hope you like it :)

Any extra questions about the iTube please feel free to give me a shout. I have only seen this thread today so I haven't been posting (didn't think I was allowed to anyway), but I will check back from time to time to see if anyone asks anything.

Nice review. Seems this is more targeted at speakers?

Need to see if I can get my hands on one.  Are they already available in the UK? I remember the earlier stuff took it's time making it to Blighty.

Cheers Rich

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #170 of 355
Quote:
Hi,

Nice review. Seems this is more targeted at speakers?

Need to see if I can get my hands on one.  Are they already available in the UK? I remember the earlier stuff took it's time making it to Blighty.

Cheers Rich

Thanks! I think it worked a little bit better for my speakers at the end of the review, but I went back and forth on that during testing. It's definitely worthy for either. I'd mostly give it the edge for speakers because of the 3D settings I think.

I'm just listening to it between the Schiit Modi and Magni on the HE-500s... damn this sounds good!! I just tried the wide 3D setting with some soundtracks and its amazing, I have very spotty results with 3D on headphones, but this time it's working really well :).

I don't know which sellers will have this and when, but any that stock Ifi stuff should get it soon. They might already have some, but just haven't updated their websites, so it might be worth dropping them an email.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #171 of 355
I just spoke to Vince from Ifi and he told me that the 3D settings in the iTube are only built for speakers. The setting is different to the one on the iCAN, which is obviously designed for headphones. I will update my review with this as soon as I can, but right now I'm off to get a drink and enjoy listening to my music wrongly :p.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #172 of 355
I just spoke to Vince from Ifi and he told me that the 3D settings in the iTube are only built for speakers. The setting is different to the one on the iCAN, which is obviously designed for headphones. I will update my review with this as soon as I can, but right now I'm off to get a drink and enjoy listening to my music wrongly :p.

Still works quite well with headphones

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #173 of 355
Yes, the iTube worked better for speakers than in headphones, I don't think the effect is that great (Compared to what iCAN's 3d is capable) for headphones.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #174 of 355
My iTube review here if anyone is interested: www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-itube/reviews/9473

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #175 of 355
ClieOS,

Quote:
My iTube review here if anyone is interested: www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-itube/reviews/9473

Very informative review, thank you a lot.

You describe the "Valve Magic" very well. That is why my main system is running a Valve Preamp and Valve Amp Monoblocks.

Maybe I do need to get yet another Box for my headphone set-up after all.

Something I do not quite get though is that 3D Thing on the iTube, you are saying it does not do well with headphones?

Is it for Speakers only? How does that work?

Not that it matters to me, if I get this it will drive an iCan wit it's 3D sound and we are not allowed to have speakers in the office (what a bummer)...

Cheers Rich

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #176 of 355
Quote:
Something I do not quite get though is that 3D Thing on the iTube, you are saying it does not do well with headphones?

Yes, the 3DHS on iTube really works only on speaker. The effect will not improve headphone but instead degrade the original image and soundstage. If you are feeding iTube to iCAN, use the 3DHS on iCAN instead as that is tuned for headphone. If you are feeding iTube to some other headphone amp, you should disable the 3DHS on iTube completely. The Digital Antidote Plus will however works on both speaker and headphone.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #177 of 355
Hi,

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, the 3DHS on iTube really works only on speaker. The effect will not improve headphone but instead degrade the original image and soundstage. If you are feeding iTube to iCAN, use the 3DHS on iCAN instead as that is tuned for headphone. If you are feeding iTube to some other headphone amp, you should disable the 3DHS on iTube completely. The Digital Antidote Plus will however works on both speaker and headphone.

Very clear, got it. Thank you.

Cheers Rich

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #179 of 355
Quote:
I didn't see any mention of tube-swapping in the reviews.  Is it one of those soldered to the circuit board type tubes?

I mentioned in my review, the GE5670 is socketed and rollable. But unless you have some Western Electric 396A (usually >$50 each, and considered to be the best of among 5670 tube) around, tube rolling might not be an improvement at all since GE5670 in the iTube is also very well regarded.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #180 of 355
Thanks for the info about the tube swapping ClieOS - must of missed that when reading your review. 

The iTube seems like it would be a fun addition to a system - I just need to upgrade the rest of my system first.

Speaking of which it would be cool if iFi would take some of the features of these mini units and create one Mega-iFi device that would include the iTube, iCan, iDac, and with full pre-amp functionality... and then throw in a remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back