iFi products Discussion Thread iTUBE will be out soon!!
Nov 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #196 of 355
I'm glad you like it! The 3D setting on the iCan is what sets it apart other amps. I have gotten so used to it by now that if I go back to 'normal' amps, I think I will have withdrawal symptoms.. I have tried a variety of surround sound DSPs and nothing comes close to this. It does make the sound brighter, but at least it doesn't distort the sound or lose details. And I guess i'm lucky, because my headphones happen to be light on treble so this sort of makes up for it.

When I was talking with Vince from ifi at the recent headfi meet in London, I was expressing interest in buying the upcoming small, battery version of the iCan to pair with my dx100. He thought I was mad as I a). Already own an iCan and b) the dx100 has a good amp already.......I told him I was addicted to the 3d sound and needed it on the go. It's true there is something so involving about that sound that, as you say, makes you miss it when it's not around.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #197 of 355
When I was talking with Vince from ifi at the recent headfi meet in London, I was expressing interest in buying the upcoming small, battery version of the iCan to pair with my dx100. He thought I was mad as I a). Already own an iCan and b) the dx100 has a good amp already.......I told him I was addicted to the 3d sound and needed it on the go. It's true there is something so involving about that sound that, as you say, makes you miss it when it's to around.

I think I would get one too, if I were using headphones on the go

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #199 of 355
Very upset tonight.... Plugged my 24v Fi-quest charger into my iCan by mistake and killed them both
redface.gif

Ouch. I feel your pain
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #201 of 355
Gents,
iFi is releasing an integrated amp in their upcoming Retro line sometime early 2014.
I boasts 30w of pure tube power, and has an on board iDac (USB,Optical,and Coax input), iPhono stage, 3 analog inputs, 3d holographic circuitry (on/off switch), bass enhancement (on/off switch), iCan with 1/4" and 1/8" connections, 1/8" Ipod input...Darren was unsure if there will be a sub out, but he thinks that it is a must for this unit. Also all will be powered from an internal pure power supply. Basically it is a plug and play unit that will sound better than purchasing the individual Micro products due to the much better power supply.

As you know the iFi stuff has been getting rave reviews both professionally and from users. I'm pretty excited about this.

Looks to be a real cool little set up.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/11/09/rmaf-2013-ifi-audio/  scroll down you'll see it.

Chris

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #202 of 355
Just got my iFi gear :) iTube, iDAC, iCan and Gemini cable. Very happy so far, yet to test DAC. will be reviewing all.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #204 of 355
Got the iCAN in to try and it's really good!
In comparison to my Headroom Micro Amp and O2 it has a touch of warmth. Very subtle and mostly only audible on my DJ100 and HD-650.
I would say it's closer in sound to my Micro than O2. The warmth is 100% not coming from my DAC.

I really can't describe the sound much. It works equally well with my DJ100, HD-650, K400 and Q701.

I'd more likely suggest this or the Micro Amp for brighter headphones than the O2.

I think this would make a good all-rounder amp if you don't have any severely power hungry headphones (HD-650/Q701 are not in that category!).

This drives my K400 but requires 65% volume.

I like this idea of "one-box-fits-all-headphones amplifier". The O2 was not quite that, but extremely close. I probably wouldn't use an O2 with a 325is or DT-990.

Now some complaints:

The switch labels are totally bizarre. Who puts no power button on an amp?

Love that it has both 3.55mm AND RCA Inputs.

I've been looking for something under $500 to top my Micro Amp + Astrodyne and this seems (possibly) nearly at the same level. Both are pretty transparent to me.

BTW I can't hear any of this warmth on my K400. Guess only going to be audible on bassy/warm headphones, if at all.

Another thing..if I'd fix any minor nit-picks with the O2, the ifi ICAN and Micro Amp fix them (to my ears).

It's definitely worth the money but kind of pointless for me since my other amp is so close in sound.

EDIT: This thing seems to LOVE my K400 EP. I don't want to take it off.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #205 of 355
I find myself using the iCan + iTube a lot now I have them. More than the O2.

I must agree with the slight warmth compared to the O2.

But the variable gain on the iCan and the 3D + Bass boost is great and adds something different compared to the plain O2 (also has variable gain)

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #206 of 355
Anyone here using the I-Link with jRiver Media Center?  Trying to find an output mode that works at 24bit 192khz with this device.  iFi Micro I-Link supports 24bit 192khz according to their web site.  I can get 24/96 and below to work though!

Thanks for any help!

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #207 of 355
  Anyone here using the I-Link with jRiver Media Center?  Trying to find an output mode that works at 24bit 192khz with this device.  iFi Micro I-Link supports 24bit 192khz according to their web site.  I can get 24/96 and below to work though!

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

Send us a PM and we'll go through the setup/configs (incl JRMC ) with you to get the iLINK singing and dancing on 24/192.

With the the iFi Windows driver installed, it is a breeze to get the iLINK up and running 24/192.

thanks

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #208 of 355

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

Send us a PM and we'll go through the setup/configs (incl JRMC ) with you to get the iLINK singing and dancing on 24/192.

With the the iFi Windows driver installed, it is a breeze to get the iLINK up and running 24/192.

thanks

I found out the first requirement is a DAC that supports 24/192.....lol

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #209 of 355
I find myself using the iCan + iTube a lot now I have them. More than the O2.

I must agree with the slight warmth compared to the O2.

But the variable gain on the iCan and the 3D + Bass boost is great and adds something different compared to the plain O2 (also has variable gain)

Are you using the iTube with headphones, or do you mean the iTube features on the iCan?

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #210 of 355
Using iPod line out into iTube then into iCan, as iTube is not an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back