iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #65 of 592

When I said "quite hot", I meant "a bit hot" (I mean I'm not worried). Is yours "cold" to the touch ?

Anyway, I contacted the ifi customer service just to be sure.

Yes, after several hours of music listening this evening, the iPurifier2 is still cold to the touch.

My room temperature is 17 degrees C. You might get a different result if your room is at 40 degrees C, I don't know.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #66 of 592
Yes, after several hours of music listening this evening, the iPurifier2 is still cold to the touch.

My room temperature is 17 degrees C. You might get a different result if your room is at 40 degrees C, I don't know.

iFi replied to me :

"- Yes, iP2 will run warm, though not hot", but warm/hot is subjective.
- Can you please clarify roughly how hot it is? Is it too the point that you can't hold it or its just warm?
- What is your serial number?"

I replied that it is just warm, so no need to worry apparently

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #68 of 592
So I compared 2 setups : 

2 Jitterbugs (1 plugged into the PC and attached to the USB cable, the other plugged in the next USB port) > Supra USB cable > ifi iUSB + iPower > usb adapter > iPurifier 2 > Ami Musik DS5 Dac (powered by iPower 5V)

VS the same setup without iPurifier 2.

The iPurifier 2 improves SQ nicely, it is not night and day like when you buy new speakers, but the sound is a bit more detailed (most noticeable in the bass), less fatiguing, the soundstage improves. The music is even more life-like. Even if it is not night and day, the improvement in sound quality is enough for me to keep it, there is no going back :)

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #69 of 592
Yeah that pretty much mirrors my experience too, although I only had the one Jitterbug to compare and contrast with the iP2. It is a significant but not revolutionary step up and certainly in the grand scheme of things an improvement which is very good value for the money.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #70 of 592
There seems to be good synergy with the jitterbug.    I have two jitterbugs in the mac mini and the iPurifier2 in the DAC.      The jitterbug filters the 5v USB supply as well as the data.    So it must help the iPurifer2 to work effectively.    The two devices work well together, a cost effective improvement to USB audio.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #71 of 592
  Yeah that pretty much mirrors my experience too, although I only had the one Jitterbug to compare and contrast with the iP2. It is a significant but not revolutionary step up and certainly in the grand scheme of things an improvement which is very good value for the money.

There seems to be good synergy with the jitterbug in my experience.    I have two jitterbugs in the mac mini and the iPurifier2 in the DAC.      The jitterbug filters the 5v USB supply as well as the data.    So it must help the iPurifer2 to work effectively.    The two devices work well together, a cost effective improvement to USB audio.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #72 of 592
I am a skeptic regarding these plug in devices, especially at the advent of uptone regen, the hype was really over the top especially the day and night difference claims.  Since I almost listen to music at work using a FiiO X5 and iCAN, I decided to bring my personal laptop (ASUS UX31A) and DAC (Emotiva DC-1)..For hours I am listening with the combo below

Laptop > iPurifier2 > DC-1 > iCAN > HE-560/A83

After 3 days listening to this combo, I tried pulling out iPurifier from the chain to see if I can detect a difference.  One notable difference I notice is the lower noise floor, I didn't know that there is noise when I used the laptop as a source before, never noticed it, thought it was part of the recording lol.  Not sure if the lower noise contributes to the improvement in bass and the less fatiguing highs.  I am a treble head (if there is a term like that) but there are times that highs can still be a fatiguing especially on some recordings.  I mostly listen to rock by the way.  I am surprised by the improvement because I thought all have been already taken care of when they design DACs.  I rarely use laptop as source so this is a mere experiment on my part so this is an enlightening experience.  

Thanks iFi!

Listened to music by albums from the artists below
Damien Rice
Collective Soul
Enya
Fall Out Boy
Disturbed
Alanis Morisette
Skunk Anansie (remembered Skin from the competition)

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #73 of 592
I have read the thread with great interest, but is there a big difference between ver.1 and 2.

Ver. 1 is on sale, several places in the European Union, so should I save the £ 30 or go for ver. 2 in first place?

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #74 of 592
  I have read the thread with great interest, but is there a big difference between ver.1 and 2.

Ver. 1 is on sale, several places in the European Union, so should I save the £ 30 or go for ver. 2 in first place?

I think I am right in saying that the v1 was built into such products as the micro iDSD. If I am correct then certainly the iP2 makes a difference to my micro iDSD plus iUSB set up. Its not a "do you see the light" moment but it is significant. To my mind it was a level of difference similar to changing standard headphone cables for balanced ones. Given that was 3 times the price then in my opinion that puts the iP2 at rather good value for money. Just don't expect to be getting the band back together............   

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #75 of 592
So, iFi, where are all the iPurifier2 type 'A'?

Have they left the factory?

Are they on a very slow boat from China?

Enquiring minds wish to know.:atsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back