iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 6, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #32 of 592
You are entirely welcome and just happy to help. I was going to put up a post last night but it was late when I got home and then I saw your message this morning so I thought that was a good time to break cover!

I don't know if you have an iUSB power already but I am thinking that you are getting most of the reduced noise and jitter stuff which the iUSB3 delivers (well ok not the 3.0 compatibility) in the iP2. Which for me is cool as I have an older laptop with no usb 3.0 ports anyhow.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #33 of 592
  You are entirely welcome and just happy to help. I was going to put up a post last night but it was late when I got home and then I saw your message this morning so I thought that was a good time to break cover!

I don't know if you have an iUSB power already but I am thinking that you are getting most of the reduced noise and jitter stuff which the iUSB3 delivers (well ok not the 3.0 compatibility) in the iP2. Which for me is cool as I have an older laptop with no usb 3.0 ports anyhow.

I am running my iDSD from a Vortexbox, which in itself is a computer with a Linux operating system and a harddrive storing my music files, so I am pretty sure there is loads of USB noise coming from the USB port. I was also considering changing the blue stock USB cable but until know I was reluctant to use the supplied adapter. At least with the new iPurifier with the USB A plug I could bridge that gap with an added benefit of USB noise reduction.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #34 of 592
One thing I am continually noticing on further listening with iPurifier2 is that I am reaching less often for the XBASS switch. The bass seems more 'present' and tuneful bass playing is more obvious and easier to follow.

I am going to have to have to order a second iPurifier2 with 'A' socket when they come out because I need it on both systems. I just can't listen without it now knowing what I am missing.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #35 of 592
Hi, does anybody know where I can order the ipurifier 2 online ? I checked a lot of websites, in vain. Maybe it's a little bit too soon though :)

Thanks

Edit : just found it on MCRU, I will give my impressions, I already own 2 jitterbugs, an ifi iUsb (first version) with the iPower, but I hope there is still room for improvement :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #36 of 592
I've just been looking at the image of the iPurifier 2 with the USB A connector. I'm certain that if you make use of the phono/rca outs on the back of the iDSD micro then it ain't gonna fit as well. The adapter that comes with the iDSD to enable connecting a normal USB cable is flush against my rca cables. The iPurifier 2 is wider than that adapter looking at the image of it.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #37 of 592

Good point.

Guess the B connector one is the better choice (for use with other DACs too). Requires using an A to B adapter but that's par for the course with the Micro and most usb cables.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #38 of 592
I've just been looking at the image of the iPurifier 2 with the USB A connector. I'm certain that if you make use of the phono/rca outs on the back of the iDSD micro then it ain't gonna fit as well. The adapter that comes with the iDSD to enable connecting a normal USB cable is flush against my rca cables. The iPurifier 2 is wider than that adapter looking at the image of it.

I've just taken a close look at it and I think it will fit just fine with all normal RCA plugs.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #39 of 592

I've just taken a close look at it and I think it will fit just fine with all normal RCA plugs.

I'm sure it will and you'd have to hope they would check on that! I am so happy that I will finally be able to bin that nasty plastic 5 pence USB adaptor. It has always annoyed me given the quality of all the other plugs that I have. I even asked ifi Audio to make a Gemini cable with a USB A plug!!!!  

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #40 of 592
  I am running my iDSD from a Vortexbox, which in itself is a computer with a Linux operating system and a harddrive storing my music files, so I am pretty sure there is loads of USB noise coming from the USB port. I was also considering changing the blue stock USB cable but until know I was reluctant to use the supplied adapter. At least with the new iPurifier with the USB A plug I could bridge that gap with an added benefit of USB noise reduction.

Can you hear the noise at your speakers?

I removed my Adnaco S3B and tons of noise going direct through an Uptone Regen...

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #41 of 592
I'd like to thank you guys on this forum for drawing my attention to the iPurifier2.  Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and I've been listening to it over the weekend.     And yeah, it really does work!      In fact surprisingly so.      I didn't know what to expect, and was prepared for it making no discernible difference.     But straight from the box my immediate impression was the sound had a kind of crystalline quality - I guess due to the lower noise floor.

After a few hours - wow!    Most things are improved, especially the bass, but also the tone characteristics of instruments and voices - more natural and believable.  The soundstage isn't any wider and perhaps only a tad deeper, but the real gain is definition and resolution - you can hear the side and back walls of the recording venue very clearly and how the musicians are placed within them.

I'm using a Mac Mini with an AQ carbon connected to a Chord 2Qute.     It just shows how much crap there must be on the USB from a computer being pumped straight into your DAC.     I did try the Jitterbug a few months back, but this gizmo is far more effective.     I was considering powered options like the Wyrd or the Regen, but this thing has got to be the best bang-for-buck USB fixer.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #42 of 592
  I'd like to thank you guys on this forum for drawing my attention to the iPurifier2.  Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and I've been listening to it over the weekend.     And yeah, it really does work!      In fact surprisingly so.      I didn't know what to expect, and was prepared for it making no discernible difference.     But straight from the box my immediate impression was the sound had a kind of crystalline quality - I guess due to the lower noise floor.

After a few hours - wow!    Most things are improved, especially the bass, but also the tone characteristics of instruments and voices - more natural and believable.  The soundstage isn't any wider and perhaps only a tad deeper, but the real gain is definition and resolution - you can hear the side and back walls of the recording venue very clearly and how the musicians are placed within them.

I'm using a Mac Mini with an AQ carbon connected to a Chord 2Qute.     It just shows how much crap there must be on the USB from a computer being pumped straight into your DAC.     I did try the Jitterbug a few months back, but this gizmo is far more effective.     I was considering powered options like the Wyrd or the Regen, but this thing has got to be the best bang-for-buck USB fixer.

I think you are correct that it seems to get better still with time and also that it is fantastic value for money, even in comparison with the Jitterbug which is certainly good value in its own right

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #43 of 592

I'm sure it will and you'd have to hope they would check on that! I am so happy that I will finally be able to bin that nasty plastic 5 pence USB adaptor. It has always annoyed me given the quality of all the other plugs that I have. I even asked ifi Audio to make a Gemini cable with a USB A plug!!!!  

Here's a picture of the rear of my iDSD Micro currently. I wouldn't say the RCA connectors on my cables are particularly large or oversized. Just normal size for a fairly decent cable. With the i-fi supplied adapter being smaller than the iPurifier2. There is no way a iPurifier2 is going to fit directly in the USB port using the RCA outs.

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #44 of 592

Here's a picture of the rear of my iDSD Micro currently. I wouldn't say the RCA connectors on my cables are particularly large or oversized. Just normal size for a fairly decent cable. With the i-fi supplied adapter being smaller than the iPurifier2. There is no way a iPurifier2 is going to fit directly in the USB port using the RCA outs.

Those are definitely oversized RCA plugs. They barely fit side by side in the RCA sockets. They would be normal if Mark Grant hadn't slapped an unnecessary heat shrink sleeve on them to emphasize the branding. (Not having a go at Mark - I like his cables and have owned a few).

The iPurifier2 is just 1mm wider than the adaptor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back