iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #542 of 592
Does anyone know if the USB iPurifier2 Type B will fit in the JDS Labs OL DAC? The RCA jacks are fairly close to the USB port.
That's a good bit more distance than on the back of an iDSD.

Aug 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #546 of 592
And you still fail to give customers any actual data, what this thing does. Not even one actual measure results. Not-a-single-one!

Can you explain which 'thing' exactly? iPurifier2? If that's the case, our on-site description explains what it does and how. If that's not informative enough, please take a look here at micro iUSB3.0: https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iusb3-0/

(There's even a tech file in there too)

iPurifier3.0 (the upgraded iPurifier2) is more affordable, less effective and smaller iUSB3.0. These two devices along with nano iUSB3.0 were designed to do the same things and share our proprietary tech. To understand what one of these does is to understand them all.

As for measurements, we publish these if there's a valid point in doing so as alone aren't really useful. They come as a part of far bigger picture and when we can, we paint it here on HF in our threads from time to time. Although you're free to think otherwise, we see no 'failure' in this approach. :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #548 of 592
Can you explain which 'thing' exactly? iPurifier2? If that's the case, our on-site description explains what it does and how. If that's not informative enough, please take a look here at micro iUSB3.0: https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-iusb3-0/

(There's even a tech file in there too)

iPurifier3.0 (the upgraded iPurifier2) is more affordable, less effective and smaller iUSB3.0. These two devices along with nano iUSB3.0 were designed to do the same things and share our proprietary tech. To understand what one of these does is to understand them all.

As for measurements, we publish these if there's a valid point in doing so as alone aren't really useful. They come as a part of far bigger picture and when we can, we paint it here on HF in our threads from time to time. Although you're free to think otherwise, we see no 'failure' in this approach. :)

Umm, i really tried to read and understand, all your documents, but in tech specs "To improve music flow" that really does not mean or say anything, or "To cancel all incoming noise" does not say anything meaningfull nether.
And your specs are some random pictures about lines crossing somewhere in mega and gigaherz band, that has nothin to do with audio.
And this random specs: "Output Noise Floor: 0.1uV(0.0000001V)" um, what does this output noise consist. This is digital signal we are speaking. Is it generating 0.0000001V noise to audio signal, or what is going on?

Why just not take even one single DAC, measure it´s performance with and without this purifier. That would say and show so much about what this thing can or cant do. Surely you have done this? How measuring can be invalid approach, when we are talking about electronic devices?

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #549 of 592
Why just not take even one single DAC, measure it´s performance with and without this purifier. That would say and show so much about what this thing can or cant do. Surely you have done this? How measuring can be invalid approach, when we are talking about electronic devices?
Many thousands have done this with very sensitive measuring instruments which we call ears. Many of us have reported our findings on this forum. The iPurifier2 does everything that is claimed for it. Most DACs are sensitive to the distortions and noise shown in the 'random' graphs and diagrams (hint: they are not random just because you don't understand them). The iPurifier2 does improve musical flow. It does reduce background noise. It does improve instrument separation. I really don't see what else there is to understand.

BTW, there is no such thing as a digital signal, be it USB or any other. All electronics is analogue. The difference between DACs and computers is that while the distortions and noise don't affect digital interpretations of the signal (unless they are grossly severe), they can and do affect the delicate process of creating an analogue waveform from a signal which is being interpreted as 'digital'.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #550 of 592
Many thousands have done this with very sensitive measuring instruments which we call ears. Many of us have reported our findings on this forum. The iPurifier2 does everything that is claimed for it. Most DACs are sensitive to the distortions and noise shown in the 'random' graphs and diagrams (hint: they are not random just because you don't understand them). The iPurifier2 does improve musical flow. It does reduce background noise. It does improve instrument separation. I really don't see what else there is to understand.

BTW, there is no such thing as a digital signal, be it USB or any other. All electronics is analogue. The difference between DACs and computers is that while the distortions and noise don't affect digital interpretations of the signal (unless they are grossly severe), they can and do affect the delicate process of creating an analogue waveform from a signal which is being interpreted as 'digital'.

Umm, if you call human hearing very sensitive instrument, you have no clue about mechanics and psychology behind human hearings.
And what comes about understanding random graphics, if they are quite random indeed, one just cant understand them. If you have basic knowledge about the subject, this would be quite clear to you too.
And about that any digital signal is analog. Clearly you have no understanding about digital signal distribution either.

Oh and i did little bit of googling, and voila, i found some exelent measurements and review about matter in question:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...i-ipurifier-s-pdif-digital-audio-filter.2189/

"Conclusions
The only thing the iFi iPurifier is good at is eliminating high amounts of jitter on S/PDIF signal with lower end DACs. Despite what they show in their marketing material though, typical S/PDIF signal across a short cable is far, far cleaner than what they and their customers assume. The type of distortions and jitter we see in the output of DACs these days are mostly created internally and no external device can fix that.

Typical of these tweak devices shipped with switchmode supplies, combined with small enclosure means that this device can actually harm the output of the DAC! This was clearly visible < 2 KHz with various noise and spurious signals. Mind you, it is not an audible problem but why spend money to make the performance of your DAC worse?

At the higher end of the scale, good DACs have proper PLLs that filter out incoming jitter very effectively and no such device is useful or necessary.

Bottom line, I cannot find a real scenario where ifi iPurifier does any good. Yet it was easy to show that it does some harm. NOT RECOMMENDED."

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #551 of 592
Bottom line, I cannot find a real scenario where ifi iPurifier does any good. Yet it was easy to show that it does some harm. NOT RECOMMENDED."

Seriously, who pissed in your Cornflakes?! Are you calling us reviewers/owners of the iPurifier2 fools, because that's how you are coming across (as well as a real jerk). If you think it's snake oil, fine, leave it at that and go about your business and stop questioning the integrity of the forum members as well as iFi Audio's claims ***!

I can tell you with 100% factual certainty that using the iPurifier2 in combination with the Sennheiser HDV 820 flagship amp/DAC (NOT a cheap unit) made a very noticeable difference coming out of my PC; 14 fans, 9 hard drives make for a VERY noisy signal and the iPurifier2 quelled it all like the Battleship Yamato vs a tuna troller! No hum, no hiss, no pops/clicks, no EMI/RFI interference, just pure unbridled silence!

:metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #552 of 592
Aug 10, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #553 of 592
No one pissed on my breakfast. Im not offended, are you?
I actually asked more details and data from manufacturer, who is marketing their product above, because i was genuinly interested, what is this thing all about. They fail to to so.
Then technobear respondet to me, and adressed, that one dont need any measurements or "data" what so ever, because you have to only use your ears. And i responded that.

Have i claimed in any case, that this is snake oil?
Even in that link i posted they, (even that it was from another product of theirs, similar though) that it might improve sound, if system is terribly noisy and poorly designed. Did you even read that article?

How it is so, that in every where else, where there is electronics or other complicated components involved, people usually wants data to back marketing claims out. Torgue of a car, or a gas consumption. Resolution of TV, or Dynamic range and luminosity of a projector. Max temperature of the oven...
But in Hi-Fi; Nah i can hear if those marketing claims from manufacturer are the truth.
And i know the next question coming: Yes, i do listen to my gear. Music even! :wink:

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #554 of 592
When is the iPurifier 3 USB Type A coming to market? I thought I read something about the end of August?

EDIT: it's on Amazon now. Looking to upgrade soon from iPurifier 2.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #555 of 592
Anyone with the iPurifier3? Just got mine and it reports as a Terminus Tech 4-port usb 2.0 hub which judging by the datasheet is simple an off the shelf hub chip for low cost usb 2.0 hubs with integrated oscillator, pll, pull-downs, etc. Wondering what exactly is this 'fancy' reclock2 all about? For the price I would have expected a custom usb controller with external high precision clock, etc. basic 4-port usb 2.0 hubs are like $5 on amazon. At the very least I was hoping for something usb 3.1 compatible upstream with better protocol tolerances and larger packet buffers incase of error correction or timing issues.

My D100 connected to it is announcing 0mA required current implying it is in no way bus powered? That would diminish any military grade bus power filtering that might (or not) be happening inside the ip3. I guess it is highly doubtful McIntosh would have connected the bus power or ground to anything inside the DAC so that might make sense. It does look pretty and feel weighty inside it's aluminum enclosure though but I am starting to doubt the benefits. I certainly hear nothing different. Has anyone opened one of these up to see what is inside?

Is there a list of DACs declaring which are bus powered or ground connected or not anywhere to check?

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 11.21.06 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back