iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #526 of 592
This really got my attention, and i went to product site to see, what does this praised little thingy is actually doing?!?

"The iPurifier does one job and one job only; it cleans and filters audio + power at the end of the digital chain;
just prior to the digital signal entering the DAC ."

USB audio goes as 0 & 1:s And its DAC that converts that bitstream to audible audio again. So how can this thing know, what is in those bits?
Its not an digital to analog converter. So how it can filter anything from audio signal?
Correct me if im wrong, but thats just imposible.

Given that you are responding on Page 35, it may help to start from the beginning. IFI have articulated what the device does many times. A simple google search is advised.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #527 of 592
Hi, dont want to be lazy, but going thru whole topic, is a bit time consuming. I tried to google it, but it did not get me any smarter. Can you refer me, or point me at the right page?
My quote is from their product site, and i just dont get it.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #530 of 592
I read someone plugged this unit into their car stereo. Does anyone know if that would or not work? I have a Pioneer head unit with a USB input. Does the filtering only work one way? Which end would go into the stereo?

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #531 of 592
I read someone plugged this unit into their car stereo.

Unlikely.

Does anyone know if that would or not work?

Yes.

(It would not)

I have a Pioneer head unit with a USB input.

That is for USB memory sticks or USB card readers. The Pioneer is a host, not a client.

Does the filtering only work one way?

Yes.

Which end would go into the stereo?

Clearly neither.

Aug 22, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #534 of 592
does the micro version exist? i have found usb a and b so far.

Seems like the micro versions were unofficially cancelled. Never seen them available for sale anywhere.

Best bet might be the type A version. Easy to plug in a short type A to micro (or mini or C) adapter/cable.

However, I recommend caution buying an iPurifier2 in regions where it only has a 1 year warranty (European version has 2 years I believe). My Type A iP2 failed at about the 13th month and iFi declined to help. One failure isn't normally a big deal but, among the 6 iFi products I own, I've now had 3 failures among 2 of them.

Don't get me wrong, iFi makes some very unique products and I enjoyed the benefits of using the iPurifier2 in my setup over the past year. Just don't expect too much if you experience any hardware defects.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #535 of 592
This thing really does work. My buddy has a Parasound Halo A23 that sounded lifeless on his system. We added my Purifier 2 and the thing came alive. Opened up the sound stage depth, made things stand out, and added a clean layer to the sound.

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #536 of 592
Seems like the micro versions were unofficially cancelled. Never seen them available for sale anywhere.

Best bet might be the type A version. Easy to plug in a short type A to micro (or mini or C) adapter/cable.

However, I recommend caution buying an iPurifier2 in regions where it only has a 1 year warranty (European version has 2 years I believe). My Type A iP2 failed at about the 13th month and iFi declined to help. One failure isn't normally a big deal but, among the 6 iFi products I own, I've now had 3 failures among 2 of them.

Don't get me wrong, iFi makes some very unique products and I enjoyed the benefits of using the iPurifier2 in my setup over the past year. Just don't expect too much if you experience any hardware defects.

Yeah, I have one that just failed. Only had it two months. Not sure what happened.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #538 of 592
Polish Audio Video Show
...and we'll be there !!!

This event is the second biggest in Europe and this year's edition is the 20th anniversary. It starts soon ad we'll be there!

Where?
  • Poland, Warsaw
When?
  • 17th - 19th of November 2017
Where exactly?
  • PGE Narodowy Stadium, the headphones hall
What?
  • Several listening stations, several iFi staff members, fine headphones too and... LOTS of iFi gear
How?
  • Just like that :L3000: But seriously, we like the Polish event, the atmosphere in there is out of this world

If you're around, please make sure to visit us!

Cheers,
iFi Team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #539 of 592
I've been experimenting with the iPurifier2 (USBA Version). It's been a long road to even get to where I thought having one in the chain might matter, but here we are. Although below most likely won't be the permanent set up, a person in another thread (iG3) had asked if putting the iPurifier2 in the chain made a difference. I thought I'd give it a shot with my components to see. Below are impressions from a short session.

The chain is:
Power - (El Cheapo Power Bar) with iPower 5v => iDefender and iPower 15V to iCAN SE. For those following elsewhere - the Mac is specifically and intentionally not connected to AC power. Still working out a hum issue.
Signal - MacBook Pro 2012 Retina 17" (Tidal through Audirvana Plus on all default settings w/ Sys Opt to Extreme) => iDefender => iGalvanic 3.0 => Micro iDSD BL => iCAN SE
Headphones - A&K T8IE MK2 (3.5mm SE w/ 1/4" adapter)
Wifi (if it matters) vs. Direct Connection

For this comparison I simply took out the "dark blue" USB cable between the iG3 and the Micro BL and replaced it with the "Light Blue" Cable supplied with my IDAC2 + the iP2
The iG3 switch was set to the middle. All 3D and X Bass were set to off on both units. Gain on the iCAN SE is at 0db. Filter was set to bit perfect on Micro BL. RCAs were stock purple-tipped provided.

I listened to 3 tracks quite a number of times (rested between a few and came back) and replayed a number of specific parts. I picked them b/c I like them and knew I could listen to them over and over.

Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Elton John - Captain Fantastic... FLAC 24/96 MQA DAC 32/96
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours - FLAC 24/96 DAC 32/96
The Load Out / Stay - Jackson Browne - Running on Empty - FLAC 24/96 DAC 32/96

If you're not interested in details - My impression is that this thing works. I got a little verklempt listening to JB...

If you're interested in details -

Air / Space - Everyone has their own ways to describe music, and I read some of the terms here in the glossary. What I get in my own words is more air and space. People and instruments just seem to be given (more of) their own space. I personally did not get an expanded (wider) or deeper soundstage. If I want to focus on one particular riff in the background or an instrument, it makes it easier. When things "get crowded" and there's a lot going on within a track, this gadget seems to help sort out the parts that make up the whole without diminishing the overall picture. My best example of this is with The Load Out at ~2:44 and Stay at ~:16 when the crowd starts clapping in rhythm and again at ~1:15 when David Lindley chimes in... It doesn't sound like "crowd noise"... It sounds like tons of individual people clapping. Another cool example is in Someone Saved... at ~ 5:16 when EJ is tossing a few higher piano notes into the mix. This is not a night and day kinda thing, but I don't think it was bias picking this up. I listened over and over. I'd like to have some choir music where I could try and pick out a voice I know.

"Softness" - I don't know how to describe this best. Again examples from Stay - Except on my home speaker system, I've always found David Lindley's and Rosemary Butler's voices to grate on me, especially if I've got things loud. As much as I've always loved The Load Out, Stay has always been kinda the ho hum addition. With the iS2 they sound great vs. grating. Also ~1:50 and around 2:15 when the keys hit the high notes, it makes it much more enjoyable. I found myself just "liking the sound" of all the tracks.

Resolution for vibrations or "texture" "timbre"? - This to me is the highlight. There are too many examples to list, but specifically the soft splash cymbals at the intro and throughout Someone Saved my Life along with the tambourine really stand out. The splash goes from a very good.. sssssss to sounding much more real especially during the sustain... In Dreams, the subtlety of Mick Fleetwood's high-hat work seemed easier to hear. Deep bass guitar notes "vibrate". In EJs voice, the trailing vibrato/runs he uses is more pronounced. With the Micro alone, if I concentrate, I can hear the first and maybe 2nd note when he runs down. With the iP2 in the chain, I can hear the decrescendo and the notes change pitch down to the very end. E-a to E-a-... If I could make smaller fonts to illustrate, I would. The drums in Dreams are pretty front and center, so the overall texture / timbre improvement is just cool.

Again - is this like night and day... no. Some changes (to me) were more pronounced than others, and I fully understand that when you're trying to hear a difference, you may just perceive one. I tried to give it an honest go. Note - there's all kinds of other threads on which clocks etc. do what and whether this should or shouldn't be used with iG3 and if so where in the chain etc. etc.... YMMV. This one is going on the road with me. I either need a iP2 USB B for in front of my iDAC2 permanently or I may try the iUSB3.0.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #540 of 592
I've been experimenting with the iPurifier2 (USBA Version). It's been a long road to even get to where I thought having one in the chain might matter, but here we are. Although below most likely won't be the permanent set up, a person in another thread (iG3) had asked if putting the iPurifier2 in the chain made a difference. I thought I'd give it a shot with my components to see. Below are impressions from a short session.

The chain is:
Power - (El Cheapo Power Bar) with iPower 5v => iDefender and iPower 15V to iCAN SE. For those following elsewhere - the Mac is specifically and intentionally not connected to AC power. Still working out a hum issue.
Signal - MacBook Pro 2012 Retina 17" (Tidal through Audirvana Plus on all default settings w/ Sys Opt to Extreme) => iDefender => iGalvanic 3.0 => Micro iDSD BL => iCAN SE
Headphones - A&K T8IE MK2 (3.5mm SE w/ 1/4" adapter)
Wifi (if it matters) vs. Direct Connection

For this comparison I simply took out the "dark blue" USB cable between the iG3 and the Micro BL and replaced it with the "Light Blue" Cable supplied with my IDAC2 + the iP2
The iG3 switch was set to the middle. All 3D and X Bass were set to off on both units. Gain on the iCAN SE is at 0db. Filter was set to bit perfect on Micro BL. RCAs were stock purple-tipped provided.

I listened to 3 tracks quite a number of times (rested between a few and came back) and replayed a number of specific parts. I picked them b/c I like them and knew I could listen to them over and over.

Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Elton John - Captain Fantastic... FLAC 24/96 MQA DAC 32/96
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours - FLAC 24/96 DAC 32/96
The Load Out / Stay - Jackson Browne - Running on Empty - FLAC 24/96 DAC 32/96

If you're not interested in details - My impression is that this thing works. I got a little verklempt listening to JB...

If you're interested in details -

Air / Space - Everyone has their own ways to describe music, and I read some of the terms here in the glossary. What I get in my own words is more air and space. People and instruments just seem to be given (more of) their own space. I personally did not get an expanded (wider) or deeper soundstage. If I want to focus on one particular riff in the background or an instrument, it makes it easier. When things "get crowded" and there's a lot going on within a track, this gadget seems to help sort out the parts that make up the whole without diminishing the overall picture. My best example of this is with The Load Out at ~2:44 and Stay at ~:16 when the crowd starts clapping in rhythm and again at ~1:15 when David Lindley chimes in... It doesn't sound like "crowd noise"... It sounds like tons of individual people clapping. Another cool example is in Someone Saved... at ~ 5:16 when EJ is tossing a few higher piano notes into the mix. This is not a night and day kinda thing, but I don't think it was bias picking this up. I listened over and over. I'd like to have some choir music where I could try and pick out a voice I know.

"Softness" - I don't know how to describe this best. Again examples from Stay - Except on my home speaker system, I've always found David Lindley's and Rosemary Butler's voices to grate on me, especially if I've got things loud. As much as I've always loved The Load Out, Stay has always been kinda the ho hum addition. With the iS2 they sound great vs. grating. Also ~1:50 and around 2:15 when the keys hit the high notes, it makes it much more enjoyable. I found myself just "liking the sound" of all the tracks.

Resolution for vibrations or "texture" "timbre"? - This to me is the highlight. There are too many examples to list, but specifically the soft splash cymbals at the intro and throughout Someone Saved my Life along with the tambourine really stand out. The splash goes from a very good.. sssssss to sounding much more real especially during the sustain... In Dreams, the subtlety of Mick Fleetwood's high-hat work seemed easier to hear. Deep bass guitar notes "vibrate". In EJs voice, the trailing vibrato/runs he uses is more pronounced. With the Micro alone, if I concentrate, I can hear the first and maybe 2nd note when he runs down. With the iP2 in the chain, I can hear the decrescendo and the notes change pitch down to the very end. E-a to E-a-... If I could make smaller fonts to illustrate, I would. The drums in Dreams are pretty front and center, so the overall texture / timbre improvement is just cool.

Again - is this like night and day... no. Some changes (to me) were more pronounced than others, and I fully understand that when you're trying to hear a difference, you may just perceive one. I tried to give it an honest go. Note - there's all kinds of other threads on which clocks etc. do what and whether this should or shouldn't be used with iG3 and if so where in the chain etc. etc.... YMMV. This one is going on the road with me. I either need a iP2 USB B for in front of my iDAC2 permanently or I may try the iUSB3.0.

Yup, we're happy that it worked for you, we really are. Cheers!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back