iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 1, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #7,726 of 9,047
Are you using the fixed 9V output of your HDPLEX to the iDSD? Or the user adjustable output set to 7V?

I know that the mR running on 9V power does get hot. I'm not a fan of that either (or any electronics getting hot).

I didn't know that the iDSD runs off battery when full. I'll look around for more info on that.

Regarding the cable iFi provide, I prefer really short hard adapters over cables if possible. It's very difficult to find a well made one though.

You probably meant the HDPLEX to mR? Larry of HDPlex customised a fixed output to 7V for my mR. Before that, the mR ran much hotter being powered by an iPower 9V. But still not as hot as it was when the iDSD was attached to it.

Here's some information about the technology behind the iDSD battery. It's pretty impressive, and shows that the guys at ifi do think of everything. (Update: reading them again, it seems the current drawn by the iDSD depends on the presence of signal and not when it's full as I had mentioned earlier. Have a read, you will probably understand the write-up better than me.)

http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/smartpower-please-feed-the-meaty-monster-part-1/

SmartPower® Some say, it is so smart it should have a PhD.
Ahead of the global launch on 28 July, this article sheds some light on SmartPower® which is the complete battery power management/Smart device recharge functionality of the micro iDSD.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Upon first receiving your micro iDSD, we strongly recommend that it undergoes a full-24 Hour charge with the unit turned OFF. This gives it the absolute best start and maintenance for many years to come. In addition, after a long period of disuse or after the battery has gone completely flat, please allow a full 24-Hour charge cycle.

Also, different USB cables are able to carry different amounts of current. We recommend the USB 3.0 cable (supplied in the micro iDSD) for fastest recharging.

Afterwards, you can mostly relax about the battery.

Background operational information
If the PC goes into normal standby, it is usually possible to set it to keep the USB ports alive. The iDSD micro’s power and battery management system is designed with the maximum “smarts” built-in to look after your battery.

• The battery we use includes protection circuitry that will self-disconnect in case of overvoltage, excessive load current or low-voltage.
  • The protection circuitry is self-resetting and even under low-voltage shutdown, the battery can be charged. This way the battery is maximally-protected from conditions that may damage it.

This is built-into the battery itself and independent from anything we at iFi do. But we go out of our way to make sure the protection circuitry has a cushy job, it just comes to the office, pours itself a cup of coffee and then puts its feet up on the desk. Normally there is never any work for it...

Power-save: when no signal is detected
The iDSD micro likes to guzzle juice, especially in Turbo mode. So, we implemented a power-save mode to cover all eventualities. If there is no signal on either SPDIF or USB input the iDSD will go to sleep after either:

• After 3 minutes on battery or
  • After 15 minutes on USB power

Only the SPDIF input and the ARM Cortex remain powered if there is no USB (otherwise USB is also powered up) and will be set to the lowest power consumption, in total a few 10 milli-ampere. This maximises play time on battery and on USB power allows charging at the maximum rate while “sleeping” when turned on.

Works while it sleeps
Even better, while in battery mode with a USB source attached the iDSD micro will attempt to detect if it is attached to a charger or computer or a smart device. If attached to PC or charger even in battery mode, the iDSD micro will charge when in sleep mode, it will switch back to 100% battery power when playback resumes.

At the lowest power-save sleep rate of discharge a full battery can last 4 days before the iDSD micro will go into full shutdown, as the battery charge becomes too low. Even at that point there is enough charge remaining to avoid engaging the battery’s own protection circuitry for several weeks.

Measures to maximise battery life
In addition, we have implemented the maximum possible measures to extend battery life, including different charging end voltages for "always on" and "cycle" use. As long as the iDSD micro is switched on, the battery is charged to a lower voltage, this makes the battery’s lifespan essentially the same as the shelf-life, as it is never stressed. This limits battery capacity to around 80%, which is still plenty, unless you are wearing your K1000's out on the subway and you need to run Turbo mode with the volume maxed out.
If charging with the iDSD micro switched off, the battery is charged to 100%, so if you do and switch to Economy mode you should have juice enough for LAX (Los Angeles) > NRT (Narita) or ICN (Incheon) non-stop listening all the time including a couple of hours in the waiting lounge...

To be cont'd.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #7,727 of 9,047
You probably meant the HDPLEX to mR? Larry of HDPlex customised a fixed output to 7V for my mR. Before that, the mR ran much hotter being powered by an iPower 9V. But still not as hot as it was when the iDSD was attached to it.

Here's some information about the technology behind the iDSD battery. It's pretty impressive, and shows that the guys at ifi do think of everything. (Update: reading them again, it seems the current drawn by the iDSD depends on the presence of signal and not when it's full as I had mentioned earlier. Have a read, you will probably understand the write-up better than me.)

http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/smartpower-please-feed-the-meaty-monster-part-1/

Yep sorry my mistake, HDFLEX powering the iDSD via the mR of course.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Nice choice in cans there I can see in your signature - I love HD800S's too.

May 1, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #7,728 of 9,047

Hmmm the way I read it, that all applies to running the iDSD on battery mode. Not on USB power mode. I was never great at English comprehension in school though so I could easily be wrong :triportsad:

May 1, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #7,729 of 9,047
From iFi: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-november-2016/?do=findComment&comment=626143

0.2) USB Power - turn on iDSD micro AFTER attaching the USB connection. This state is ‘latched’ regardless of connection/disconnection of USB until the iDSD micro is turned off or loses power from a flat battery. If the USB Host does not provide sufficient power to operate the difference will be drawn from the battery. If there is more power available than needed to operate the iDSD micro, it will be used to charge the battery if the battery requires charging.

2) Continuous use in USB mode
2.1) Preparation - Make sure to let the iDSD micro charge fully over a > 12 Hour period switched off to make sure the battery is at maximum charge. Disconnect iDSD micro and reconnectet while switched off. The LED should turn blue for a few seconds, then go off. If the LED stays blue it means the previous charge process timed out before the battery was full, in this case investigate your USB cable and charger/port used, as they may provide insufficient power.
2.2) Operation - Turn on iDSD micro after connecting the USB cable. Leave turned on permanently. Make sure that the USB Audio stream cuts off when not using the iDSD micro Audio and the iDSD micro goes into sleep mode.
Then, if attached to a BC1.2 USB port, operation is ‘forget about it’ and completely transparent. If attached to a standard USB Port ‘forget about it’ use is limited to Eco & Normal power modes.

My interpretation of that is when used in USB mode (like powered by the microRendu) power is fully provided by USB power - the battery is only re-charged when in USB mode. The iDSD battery is never discharging when in USB mode. Except maybe in Turbo mode when attached to a standard USB port (if I understand that last part above correctly?).

This might explain why your mR runs hot? It is continuously providing power to the iDSD? Maybe?

My mR is LPS-1 powered so I'm not bothered if the iDSD is battery powered or LPS-1 powered (via the mR) at any stage, but it's interesting to know.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #7,730 of 9,047
Is up sampling to DSD512 to the iDSD on MacOS possible yet?

I saw posts on old iDSD threads from 2014 saying DSD512 is only supported on Windows via ASIO.

Has anything changed since then? Or still restricted to Windows with the iDSD?

May 2, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #7,731 of 9,047
From iFi: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...-november-2016/?do=findComment&comment=626143

0.2) USB Power - turn on iDSD micro AFTER attaching the USB connection. This state is ‘latched’ regardless of connection/disconnection of USB until the iDSD micro is turned off or loses power from a flat battery. If the USB Host does not provide sufficient power to operate the difference will be drawn from the battery. If there is more power available than needed to operate the iDSD micro, it will be used to charge the battery if the battery requires charging.

2) Continuous use in USB mode
2.1) Preparation - Make sure to let the iDSD micro charge fully over a > 12 Hour period switched off to make sure the battery is at maximum charge. Disconnect iDSD micro and reconnectet while switched off. The LED should turn blue for a few seconds, then go off. If the LED stays blue it means the previous charge process timed out before the battery was full, in this case investigate your USB cable and charger/port used, as they may provide insufficient power.
2.2) Operation - Turn on iDSD micro after connecting the USB cable. Leave turned on permanently. Make sure that the USB Audio stream cuts off when not using the iDSD micro Audio and the iDSD micro goes into sleep mode.
Then, if attached to a BC1.2 USB port, operation is ‘forget about it’ and completely transparent. If attached to a standard USB Port ‘forget about it’ use is limited to Eco & Normal power modes.

My interpretation of that is when used in USB mode (like powered by the microRendu) power is fully provided by USB power - the battery is only re-charged when in USB mode. The iDSD battery is never discharging when in USB mode. Except maybe in Turbo mode when attached to a standard USB port (if I understand that last part above correctly?).

This might explain why your mR runs hot? It is continuously providing power to the iDSD? Maybe?

My mR is LPS-1 powered so I'm not bothered if the iDSD is battery powered or LPS-1 powered (via the mR) at any stage, but it's interesting to know.

Your interpretation is right. The iDSD is drawing power continuously from the mR to keep the battery un-discharged. It's a very smart feature, but just happens to heat up the mR. I now connect the iDSD direct to my PC and heat is no longer problem at all.

I failed to mention that despite my issue with the heat, the iDSD + mR combo is amazing and sounds fantastic. And yes, the HD800S is extraordinary, especially when paired with the iDSD + mR combo. :)

May 2, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #7,732 of 9,047
Your interpretation is right. The iDSD is drawing power continuously from the mR to keep the battery un-discharged. It's a very smart feature, but just happens to heat up the mR. I now connect the iDSD direct to my PC and heat is no longer problem at all.

I failed to mention that despite my issue with the heat, the iDSD + mR combo is amazing and sounds fantastic. And yes, the HD800S is extraordinary, especially when paired with the iDSD + mR combo. :)

Fantastic ! :)

May 2, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #7,737 of 9,047
I have heard good things about the Ipurifier 2 but figured that it might be counter productive given that the BL already has that technology built in. I tried using iusb in chain with my BL and I was getting some weirdness and occasional pops and clicks. Without the iusb everything sounds great again.

May 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #7,739 of 9,047
Are u using a iP2 with USB A connector? Or the more common B connector with a hard adaptor in between?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back