iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #7,696 of 9,047
You're most welcome! BL is a great DAC! I really like it.

Agree on this. I suspect that at Normal mode, micro iDSD uses higher voltage power supply for the amp, therefore it improves the slew rate of the amp. Just my guess.

Oh yes. I recall higher impedance cans need more voltage to sound best. But were you referring to voltage for the amp or the cans? (I have to read up about slew rate).

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #7,697 of 9,047
Oh yes. I recall higher impedance cans need more voltage to sound best. But were you referring to voltage for the amp or the cans? (I have to read up about slew rate).

Not about output voltage, but power supply voltage for the amplifier. Usually higher supply voltage for amplifier will improve the amplifier slew rate, making it faster in transient. Therefore sounds more dynamic and realistic.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #7,698 of 9,047
Not about output voltage, but power supply voltage for the amplifier. Usually higher supply voltage for amplifier will improve the amplifier slew rate, making it faster in transient. Therefore sounds more dynamic and realistic.

Thanks for explaining. That definitely sounds like the improvement from the Normal mode.

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #7,699 of 9,047
not sure if this has been discussed . But i feel my iFi iDSD Micro has Left Right Imbalance even with volume turned to 10-11 o clock . 

Running IEMs through the iFi iDSD Micro , i set ECO + iEMatch Low , and the iEMatch switch below is so wobbly , especially in the low setting . Whenever the switch has been moved lightly , the right channel occasionally becomes louder . which becomes some sort of an annoyance especially so if i bring it around 60% of the time . Even at when played on the desk , the left channel is slightly louder . 

Although i don't hope anyone else is facing the same issue , but my warranty is over and i don't quite think this is normal :/

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #7,700 of 9,047
  not sure if this has been discussed . But i feel my iFi iDSD Micro has Left Right Imbalance even with volume turned to 10-11 o clock . 

Running IEMs through the iFi iDSD Micro , i set ECO + iEMatch Low , and the iEMatch switch below is so wobbly , especially in the low setting . Whenever the switch has been moved lightly , the right channel occasionally becomes louder . which becomes some sort of an annoyance especially so if i bring it around 60% of the time . Even at when played on the desk , the left channel is slightly louder . 

Although i don't hope anyone else is facing the same issue , but my warranty is over and i don't quite think this is normal :/

I really hope you can get it sorted out! 

iFi is good with their customers in general, maybe the repairs are inexpensive even though your warranty is over for now 
gs1000.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #7,702 of 9,047

Please ope a cupport ticket via our Support platform, to be found here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

I'm sure we'll be able to help you out from there.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 23, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #7,703 of 9,047
Please ope a cupport ticket via our Support platform, to be found here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

I'm sure we'll be able to help you out from there.

I've sent my unit to Stereo Singapore , they mentioned that they will contact you guys to give a quotation of the repair to me sometime today or tomorrow .

Hope i can get some sort of repair discounts for being such a committed iFi supporter ! :p

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #7,704 of 9,047

I have similar issue with my silver micro iDSD. Here is my measurement in comparison to the review sample of micro iDSD Black-Label:

Besides that the IEMatch switch of my iDSD also glitchy and need to be replaced. Currently I so busy so don't have time to go to Stereo to check how much is the cost to repair my iDSD volume and iEMatch switch.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #7,705 of 9,047
I have similar issue with my silver micro iDSD. Here is my measurement in comparison to the review sample of micro iDSD Black-Label:

Besides that the IEMatch switch of my iDSD also glitchy and need to be replaced. Currently I so busy so don't have time to go to Stereo to check how much is the cost to repair my iDSD volume and iEMatch switch.

Holy molly ... This is interesting data , i know that this LR imbalance is significantly lower in the BL when they sent it to me for the singapore tour .

Truth be told , no other dacamps sounds anywhere like the idsd . Which is why i love them so much .

Would it make sense for me to get a 75ohm impedance adaptor for me to turn up the volume a little . Im currently running the xelento with idsd .

May i also know roughly what dial position is 250mV at ?

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #7,706 of 9,047
Holy molly ... This is interesting data , i know that this LR imbalance is significantly lower in the BL when they sent it to me for the singapore tour .

Truth be told , no other dacamps sounds anywhere like the idsd . Which is why i love them so much .

Would it make sense for me to get a 75ohm impedance adaptor for me to turn up the volume a little . Im currently running the xelento with idsd .

May i also know roughly what dial position is 250mV at ?

Using 75 ohms adapter is similar to raise the output impedance by 75 ohms. For some IEMs, the effect could be very very bad. But since Xelento is single dynamic, it might be ok with the high output impedance.

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #7,707 of 9,047
If you all wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts...

What's the approximate "headphone:iDSD Micro" price ratio for your setup? For example, if your headphones were $500 and the iDSD Micro was $500 it would be a 1:1 ratio...

I am just asking because I have the potential (through gift cards) to get the iDSD Micro BL for about $400. My IEMs (Shure SE425) retailed for $300, so I am wondering if the Micro is "too much" given my existing setup.

My research into better headphones really seems to indicate anything at 400-600 dollars would largely be a sidestep- maybe a change in sound signature, but not so much in overall performance. I have been using only my iPhone so far as a source for my high-res library, so I am reaching the conclusion that maybe something like the Micro would be great for versatility for my current IEMs and potentially any other headphones I add down the line!

Any thoughts on your "ratio" of headphone:DAC/AMP price (or DAC/AMP price:headphones if you wish :) ) and what you would do in my situation?

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7,708 of 9,047

What's the approximate "headphone:iDSD Micro" price ratio for your setup? For example, if your headphones were $500 and the iDSD Micro was $500 it would be a 1:1 ratio...

I am just asking because I have the potential (through gift cards) to get the iDSD Micro BL for about $400. My IEMs (Shure SE425) retailed for $300, so I am wondering if the Micro is "too much" given my existing setup.

My research into better headphones really seems to indicate anything at 400-600 dollars would largely be a sidestep- maybe a change in sound signature, but not so much in overall performance. I have been using only my iPhone so far as a source for my high-res library, so I am reaching the conclusion that maybe something like the Micro would be great for versatility for my current IEMs and potentially any other headphones I add down the line!

Any thoughts on your "ratio" of headphone:DAC/AMP price (or DAC/AMP price:headphones if you wish :) ) and what you would do in my situation?

I really like iDSD BL + ie800, but I also like iDSD BL + Meze 99 Classics. Both setups bring me equal amounts of joy albeit they each have their sound.

Shure Se425 is not the most resolving IEM, but adding iDSD BL would surely improve their sound. As for recommending a similar headphone or IEM, I'm not a shure master, so it is hard to tell.

This is how iFi setup looks like for walking BTW:

(In case you were wondering, it is very portable)

trn0TLl.jpg

Wg9aNov.jpg

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #7,709 of 9,047

I started this hobby with 2 channel stereo, and the prevailing wisdom I adopted until now is to buy the most transparent speakers (headphones/iems in our case) that you can afford. This allows you to listen to the full potential of your gear upstream (source/dac/amp/cables). This would be my recommendation to you.

I bought my HD800S to pair with another system, but using it with the BL, I can hear the BL's true character and it makes me go totally wow! I also use the BL with my Viso HP50 and ZA Duoza, both which are quite resolving. So ratio-wise, mine goes from 3:1 to 1:1 to 0.2:1. (Note: the Duoza is way more transparent than the HP50 so it's low ratio score is not at all indicative of how well it performs)

I'm not suggesting go spend crazy money on cans, but try audition and find the most transparent and resolving that you can afford. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #7,710 of 9,047
Hi all.

With the DSD analogue filters for the iDSD, which is the least filtered option, extreme or standard?

For PCM I understand the least filtered option is the 'bit perfect' mode which is essentially a NOS mode, with no filtering.

But what is the equivalent of the 3 analogue filters for DSD?

Many thanks in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back