iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #7,712 of 9,047
I measure 2.5" x 6.0". I actually like it as a portable over the mojo. The idsd is very similar in dimensions to my phone, just thicker. The mojo is more awkward and doesn't stack as well. ymmv

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7,713 of 9,047
What are the physical dimensions of the BL? Pretty much the only thing holding me from pulling the trigger vs the Mojo is portability

It is extremely portable, I'm quite happy with how easy it is to carry it around and enjoy music while on the go.

I think I posted a few pictures recently to highlight this.

Wg9aNov.jpg

trn0TLl.jpg

NQlevca.jpg

My personal take, buy you cannot really ask for more portability from a stack, especially in my case with that sidebag.

I measure 2.5" x 6.0". I actually like it as a portable over the mojo. The idsd is very similar in dimensions to my phone, just thicker. The mojo is more awkward and doesn't stack as well. ymmv

I totally agree. Mojo stacks worse despite being shorter, probably because it is thicker and the stack sits worse in the pocket. I actually can carry and pull iDSD BL out of my bag easily, it doesn't get damaged from ear or anything, but Mojo is too short and will get stuck in my sidebag. This is a thing that you have to experience to know, but iDSD BL is really portable

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #7,714 of 9,047
From the iDSD manual:
PCM (digital filter)Bit-PerfectMinimum-PhaseStandard
DSD (analog filter)ExtremeExtendedStandard

On my unit playing DSD files, Standard sounds brightest and Extreme starts cutting off at a much lower frequency. The manual says to select “Standard” for measurements for both PCM and DSD. My thinking is that the Standard filter (digital for PCM and analog for DSD) lets "the most through" and will therefore measure better (insert much hand waving here).

My original iDAC2 actually had the analog filter settings reversed (brightest on Extreme, dullest on Standard). I couldn't say for sure what the behaviour of the digital filters was. iFi sent me a replacement unit and the DSD filters now behave the same as the ones on my micro iDSD.

Hi @iFi audio

I haven't been able to see if this was clarified at all, for the iDSD vs iDAC2. Particularly for understanding the iDSD DSD filters.

Appreciate if you can help !

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #7,715 of 9,047
Hi all, another question

Does an Audioquest Jitterbug female end nicely into the iDSD's male USB port?

Thinking of going direct from USB hub to the iDSD with a hard adapter. The Jitterbug's build quality would be better than any of the cheap hard adapters out there.

If anyone could try and take a photo for me, that would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #7,716 of 9,047
Hi @iFi audio

I haven't been able to see if this was clarified at all, for the iDSD vs iDAC2. Particularly for understanding the iDSD DSD filters.

Appreciate if you can help !

Cheers :)

I was going to point you to the first post in the Black Label thread for links to most of the answers for most of the questions you might have. Sadly the move to new forum software seems to have screwed up the index found there which is going to make it tough to find stuff from now on. Presumably this is going to break links to single posts all over the forum.

The Black Label thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/i...etails-page-147-release-info-page-153.711217/

Next plan of attack was to look in my own archive for the necessary post and then search for it in the thread. Sadly the move to new forum software seems to have removed that particular feature too.

The global search seems to be very simplistic and is incapable of searching for a phrase.

Here from my archive is what iFi said about filters:

Tech Talk 27.jpg

I sure hope there is more to come from this new forum software. It seems like a huge step backwards right now.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #7,717 of 9,047
Hi all, another question

Does an Audioquest Jitterbug female end nicely into the iDSD's male USB port?

Thinking of going direct from USB hub to the iDSD with a hard adapter. The Jitterbug's build quality would be better than any of the cheap hard adapters out there.

If anyone could try and take a photo for me, that would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers!

Forget Jitterbug. The iPurifier2 Type A is the one you want.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #7,718 of 9,047
Forget Jitterbug. The iPurifier2 Type A is the one you want.

Thanks mate, but I'd still need a cheap hard adapter to go with the iPuriifer2. As above, I don't really need the Jitterbug for it's jitter stuff.

I'm looking for a well made type A female to type A male adapter. The Jitterbug is that, but somebody has told me recently the Jitterbug doesn't fit into the iDSD sadly.

What hard adapters are people using? I've seen posts where people have opened up those cheap hard adapters from eBay and they'd used steel wire inside.... eep

I'm looking for a single hard adapter to go between a microRendu and iDSD.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #7,719 of 9,047
++1

I love my "old" micro idsd...........would have a hard time justifying a purchase of the new one. I would love to see an owner's comparison of them. Has that been done yet?

Hi Franatic, I saw your earlier posts about the Forza hard adapter for the iDSD/Regen.

Could you kindly post some photos of the adapter? Is it a short cable or a hard adapter?

Many thanks!

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #7,720 of 9,047
Thanks mate, but I'd still need a cheap hard adapter to go with the iPuriifer2. As above, I don't really need the Jitterbug for it's jitter stuff.

I'm looking for a well made type A female to type A male adapter. The Jitterbug is that, but somebody has told me recently the Jitterbug doesn't fit into the iDSD sadly.

What hard adapters are people using? I've seen posts where people have opened up those cheap hard adapters from eBay and they'd used steel wire inside.... eep

I'm looking for a single hard adapter to go between a microRendu and iDSD.

The iDSD comes with a blue USB cable male A - female A. It's a very good quality cable that you can use between the mR and iDSD.

Do note, your mR will get very HOT. It measures 39C when used with my yggy, but reaches up to 45C in just minutes with the iDSD. Unless you use battery mode, but it will mean you'll have to charge it elsewhere when not listening. Just thought you should be aware.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #7,721 of 9,047
The iDSD comes with a blue USB cable male A - female A. It's a very good quality cable that you can use between the mR and iDSD.

Do note, your mR will get very HOT. It measures 39C when used with my yggy, but reaches up to 45C in just minutes with the iDSD. Unless you use battery mode, but it will mean you'll have to charge it elsewhere when not listening. Just thought you should be aware.

Understood, the iDSD needs 5V VBUS power continuously, so the LPS-1 feeding the mR will probably run warm too.

May 1, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #7,722 of 9,047
Understood, the iDSD needs 5V VBUS power continuously, so the LPS-1 feeding the mR will probably run warm too.

It probably will, although I use the HDPLEX instead of the LPS-1. But it's the mR that iconcerns me. Admittedly I'm one of those guys on the mR thread who doesn't like the mR go red hot, so it depends on what your comfort level with heat and electronics.

Back to the iDSD, it's supposed to have a smart feature that stops drawing power once the battery is full. So I dunno whether it's entirely true that it draws power continuously.

May 1, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #7,723 of 9,047
It probably will, although I use the HDPLEX instead of the LPS-1. But it's the mR that iconcerns me. Admittedly I'm one of those guys on the mR thread who doesn't like the mR go red hot, so it depends on what your comfort level with heat and electronics.

Back to the iDSD, it's supposed to have a smart feature that stops drawing power once the battery is full. So I dunno whether it's entirely true that it draws power continuously.

Are you using the fixed 9V output of your HDPLEX to the iDSD? Or the user adjustable output set to 7V?

I know that the mR running on 9V power does get hot. I'm not a fan of that either (or any electronics getting hot).

I didn't know that the iDSD runs off battery when full. I'll look around for more info on that.

Regarding the cable iFi provide, I prefer really short hard adapters over cables if possible. It's very difficult to find a well made one though.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #7,724 of 9,047
If anyone is after an iDSD Black Label and lives over here in Australia, drop me a line, I have mine up for sale on the For Sale Forums here.
Selling for no other reason than I have the iCAN SE and as I no longer listen on the move at all, so half of the iDSD is being neglected.

Absolutely love the sound!!

May 1, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #7,725 of 9,047
Is there much sonic benefit in adding the ICAN SE to an iDSD Black setup?

Alternatively, an iUSB P/S to maximise the iDSD first?

I'm using Audioquest NightOwl headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back