iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 14, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #5,866 of 9,047
Thanks again, ClieOs and gr8Osunds (and TechnoBear). I am still not certain what the plug type that goes into Micro digital input is. It does not appear to be one of the standard usb types I am familiar with. Feeling pretty lame right now...but can you clarify or point me to a MonoPrice one that will work? Again, thanks for the help.

Its actually just a regular usb plug; same type that connects to any computer. Think of the Micro as having a little Dragonfly or Geek Out connector 'inside' of it. Only difference is the Micro's is recessed. In fact, if you removed the Micro's aluminum shell, it might be able to connect directly to some usb ports (assuming the RCAs didn't get in the way).

IFi did this so that, when using an Apple CCK plug or android otg cable, the adapter does not protrude all the way out. Benefit is never worrying about bending or breaking the usb tip but, initially, it is strange trying to figure out exactly type it is. Looking at the blue cable and seeing it is just an extender helped too. After that, I got a couple of Monster usb extender cables. The female end has a good amount of covering so it makes for a snug, gapless fit with the Micro.

EDIT: see for yourself.....

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #5,868 of 9,047

Its actually just a regular usb plug; same type that connects to any computer. Think of the Micro as having a little Dragonfly or Geek Out connector 'inside' of it. Only difference is the Micro's is recessed. In fact, if you removed the Micro's aluminum shell, it might be able to connect directly to some usb ports (assuming the RCAs didn't get in the way).

IFi did this so that, when using an Apple CCK plug or android otg cable, the adapter does not protrude all the way out. Benefit is never worrying about bending or breaking the usb tip but, initially, it is strange trying to figure out exactly type it is. Looking at the blue cable and seeing it is just an extender helped too. After that, I got a couple of Monster usb extender cables. The female end has a good amount of covering so it makes for a snug, gapless fit with the Micro.

EDIT: see for yourself.....

Wow, who knew? Naked iDSD Micro reveal. Seriously very helpful, man...I've relooked and sure enough, standard USB in a larger hosing....don't I feel foolish.
Appreciate your patience and the risque photo reveal. Cheers, and thanks, gr8soundz!

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #5,869 of 9,047
Glad I could help. Others helped me here when I started a couple years ago.

I didn't take apart my Micro though. That pic is one I saved from an article I found last year. Can't find/remember the exact link otherwise I'd post it.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #5,871 of 9,047
Did you ever get a chance to try the Uptone Regen instead of the iPurifier2 in your setup?

No, sorry. I was thinking about ordering a REGEN when iFi revealed the iPurifier2. As the latter is sold and supported in the UK, has a superior specification and is cheaper, well...

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #5,872 of 9,047

I assume you did turn on the micro iDSD before connecting it to the S4?

Yep. Same thing happens with my A17, I never had more than 4 hours of playback. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #5,873 of 9,047
I think it helps (how much, I don't know) to have the power leg of the Gemini either plugged into a separate source (e.g., linear power supply) or into the power-only input of say the micro / nano iUSB3.0. The latter is how my Gemini is used: PC > standard USB cable > iUSB3.0 > Gemini > Gustard U12 > coax cable > Schiit Bifrost MB > Schiit Lyr 2 > Ether C. As a whole, I think the system sounds really good.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a split cable but with both the power and data plugged into your computer.

Yes, that's probably true but sadly I don't have an iUSBPower or an iUSB3.0 to try it with.

I may well pick up the nano iUSB3.0 at some point though.

I could ask iFi to loan me one but as I did that already for the micro iUSB3.0, that might be a bit cheeky.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #5,874 of 9,047
  Glad I could help. Others helped me here when I started a couple years ago.

I didn't take apart my Micro though. That pic is one I saved from an article I found last year. Can't find/remember the exact link otherwise I'd post it.

Yep, I have pictures from that review as well. Don't try to take apart your iDSD though, as the switches are very delicate and can break easily when you remove the PCB out of the case just a tiny bit out of alignment. I recall from picture that the guy who took his iDSD apart broke one of the switch.

Yep. Same thing happens with my A17, I never had more than 4 hours of playback. 

That will be odd as I have definitely gotten more than 4 hours out of my A15+iDSD combo. Same goes for my Xperia Z3+ (as well as Z2) with iDSD.

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #5,876 of 9,047
Battery life testing update. Okay, so perhaps the firmware flash didn't work right away, or more likely something else was occurring on the phone that I was unaware of. In any case, last night I tested by listening for a solid hour at my regular volume in normal mode and after the hour the phone went from 100% battery to 97% battery. Since being idle for about 9.5 hours the phones battery went down to 90% so things are fine it seems. I am not sure what exactly caused that one significant drain event, but hopefully it was an anomaly. It is going to be a very long wait for the TH 600 to arrive from Texas, I'm assuming about 10 days to actually reach me. Damn I hate waiting.

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #5,877 of 9,047
  Battery life testing update. Okay, so perhaps the firmware flash didn't work right away, or more likely something else was occurring on the phone that I was unaware of. In any case, last night I tested by listening for a solid hour at my regular volume in normal mode and after the hour the phone went from 100% battery to 97% battery. Since being idle for about 9.5 hours the phones battery went down to 90% so things are fine it seems. I am not sure what exactly caused that one significant drain event, but hopefully it was an anomaly. It is going to be a very long wait for the TH 600 to arrive from Texas, I'm assuming about 10 days to actually reach me. Damn I hate waiting.

Yep, I just did a battery test as well - Xperia Z3+ with 97% + micro iDSD playing for almost a hour and 50 minutes now and and Z3+ battery goes down to 83%, which is pretty normal for Z3+ as it doesn't really have a great battery life to begin with. iDSD is running on the latest 5.1 firmware.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #5,878 of 9,047

Yep, I just did a battery test as well - Xperia Z3+ with 97% + micro iDSD playing for almost a hour and 50 minutes now and and Z3+ battery goes down to 83%, which is pretty normal for Z3+ as it doesn't really have a great battery life to begin with. iDSD is running on the latest 5.1 firmware.

Since the phone I'm using now is old, it might be the battery wear, so I'll wait for the new battery and will do another test. The firmware I'm using is 5.1b Shall I witch to 5.1?
Also, maybe unrelated but sometimes I'm losing a split second of the beginning of the first songs in the playlist. Does it happen to anyone?

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #5,879 of 9,047

Yep, I have pictures from that review as well. Don't try to take apart your iDSD though, as the switches are very delicate and can break easily when you remove the PCB out of the case just a tiny bit out of alignment. I recall from picture that the guy who took his iDSD apart broke one of the switch.

I would never try taking mine apart. Just didn't want to take credit for someone else's bravery. Searched again but still can't find that review; perhaps its no longer up.

IFi's instructions for the firmware update says to do it a second time if needed. Also, be sure to disconnect and turn the Micro off/on afterwards. I think the only way to see which version it has is via the driver on a PC (or Mac).

Since the phone I'm using now is old, it might be the battery wear, so I'll wait for the new battery and will do another test. The firmware I'm using is 5.1b Shall I witch to 5.1?
Also, maybe unrelated but sometimes I'm losing a split second of the beginning of the first songs in the playlist. Does it happen to anyone?

Recommend staying with 5.10B for portable use. IFi made it specifically for the iDSD Micro after requests from users here. No guarantee (or support) that version B will work will for all devices but it may your best bet.

I'm currently using the regular 5.10 since my Micro pretty much stays on a desktop.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #5,880 of 9,047

5.1B should be fine if you use smartphone as source and like to pause music from time to time. The only difference on using 5.1 is that, when you use smartphone as source, you need to turn off iDSD manually every time you take a long pause so iDSD won't think it is on sleep mode and then try to draw power from the smartphone.

No, never experience any losing of the beginning of first song, but that could point to a buffer issue though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back