iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #3,721 of 9,047
Use the highest setting it gives the most details. Why cause we lose bits I digital volume controls. Now is it's a step resistor then it does not matter. As for in abc that's a shame mine does not do this. On any of digital products I use the highest settings for most full sound.
It's the same on my hdpr10 by hibino. Digital attenuation is a bad thing sometimes. Let's all try a end report back. But to make it fair it must tried a higher volume meaning loud enough to pickup the improvement. And no. I don't always listen this way. But I do to evail stuff.

The volume pot for the iDSD is in the analogue stage, as are the gain settings, afaik.

May 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3,723 of 9,047

From your description, I suggest you try Audio-Technica ATH-R70x. It sounds more natural than HD 650, and pairs wonderfully with micro iDSD + iCAN. Even without iCAN, R70x will be the only headphone I recommend for micro iDSD. Somehow it compensates the dryness headphone output of micro iDSD really well.

The R70x does indeed pair beautifully with the iDSD micro.  This is the first headphone that I actually enjoy listening to through it's built in amplifier for any length of time. 

May 20, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,724 of 9,047
I might have missed this but can someone tell me if I can charge the micro's internal battery by pluging a charger into the smartpower connection on the side of the micro.
Reason I ask is that I want to keep a short OTG cable permanently in the micro's USB input so being able to charge the battery via the smartpower usb connection would be a bonus. I sppose I could try it but don't want to damage anything.

Thanks.

May 20, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #3,725 of 9,047
I might have missed this but can someone tell me if I can charge the micro's internal battery by pluging a charger into the smartpower connection on the side of the micro.
Reason I ask is that I want to keep a short OTG cable permanently in the micro's USB input so being able to charge the battery via the smartpower usb connection would be a bonus. I sppose I could try it but don't want to damage anything.

Thanks.

Hi,

The side power connector is to recharge an external device. eg iPhone.

It cannot be used to recharge the micro iDSD.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #3,726 of 9,047

Thanks.

As stated by, you can't. However, if it is a desktop setup - you can try adding a self-powered USB hub (with BC1.2 support) in between your smartphone and micro iDSD and it should be able to keep charging the micro iDSD while in use. If it is meant for portable use and you don't mind carrying a big power bank, an 'OTG power injector' (search eBay) might help. Haven't tried one myself though.

May 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #3,727 of 9,047
Ok, dumb question.....
Just received my Micro IDSD (haven't installed it yet).  Looking to use it as a strictly desktop DAC only.  The USB input will be coming from my music server that stays on 24/7.  What setting do I use on the IDSD so that it stays operational/charged at all times?

Second question, I have the Uptone Regen USB "filtration" unit coming.  It will be placed in between the music server and the DAC.  Will this change anything?

Thanks!

May 20, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,728 of 9,047
  Ok, dumb question.....
Just received my Micro IDSD (haven't installed it yet).  Looking to use it as a strictly desktop DAC only.  The USB input will be coming from my music server that stays on 24/7.  What setting do I use on the IDSD so that it stays operational/charged at all times?

Second question, I have the Uptone Regen USB "filtration" unit coming.  It will be placed in between the music server and the DAC.  Will this change anything?

Thanks!

I have connected my micro 24/7 on a full time USB without any issues. The micro will go to sleep in 13 minutes with no signal but the battery will still be top off as needed. The micro does come with a USB filter built-in.

May 20, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #3,729 of 9,047
  Ok, dumb question.....

Thanks!

1 - Congratuations!
2- NOT a dumb question.  I leave my iFi iDSD Micro in my entertainment center 9/10ths of the time at this point.  Power from the HTPC's USB port provides enough power to keep the iDSD Micro charged and running.  Just a couple of things to note:
  1. The iDSD must receive power from the USB before being turned on itself, or else it will run off of its internal battery.
  2. The PC may reboot due to Windows updates or other reasons.  Be SURE to turn off, and then turn back on the iDSD micro while receiving USB power to have the iDSD Micro resume running off USB power rather than its internal battery.
  3. I STRONGLY suggest running your iDSD Micro in either NORMAL or ECO modes to ensure that the power draw does not exceed the power supplied by your USB port.  (Especially if the USB port doesn't provide higher levels of power.)
  4. I also suggest that you use the PREAMPLIFIER setting so that your power levels and volume remain consistent.

As for your second questioin, the iDSD Micro already has an iPURIFY function built-in so I'm not sure that there will be much change, but as always, I am a proponent of "Try it!" and then please let us know how it sounds to you.  :)

Ken N.

May 20, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #3,730 of 9,047
  1 - Congratuations!
2- NOT a dumb question.  I leave my iFi iDSD Micro in my entertainment center 9/10ths of the time at this point.  Power from the HTPC's USB port provides enough power to keep the iDSD Micro charged and running.  Just a couple of things to note:
  1. The iDSD must receive power from the USB before being turned on itself, or else it will run off of its internal battery.
  2. The PC may reboot due to Windows updates or other reasons.  Be SURE to turn off, and then turn back on the iDSD micro while receiving USB power to have the iDSD Micro resume running off USB power rather than its internal battery.
  3. I STRONGLY suggest running your iDSD Micro in either NORMAL or ECO modes to ensure that the power draw does not exceed the power supplied by your USB port.  (Especially if the USB port doesn't provide higher levels of power.)
  4. I also suggest that you use the PREAMPLIFIER setting so that your power levels and volume remain consistent.

As for your second questioin, the iDSD Micro already has an iPURIFY function built-in so I'm not sure that there will be much change, but as always, I am a proponent of "Try it!" and then please let us know how it sounds to you.  :)

Ken N.

Wow, thank you guys for the quick and detailed information!  It sounds like its an easy setup as long as its receiving USB power prior to turning the IDSD on!

The Uptone Audio regen is a new product from some folks over on computeraudiophile forums.  Pretty interesting stuff!  Its more than just a filter.  Almost unanimous praise, which is unusual for this type of product.

May 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #3,731 of 9,047
Wow, thank you guys for the quick and detailed information!  It sounds like its an easy setup as long as its receiving USB power prior to turning the IDSD on!

The Uptone Audio regen is a new product from some folks over on computeraudiophile forums.  Pretty interesting stuff!  Its more than just a filter.  Almost unanimous praise, which is unusual for this type of product.

I don't think the Regen applies any filters (other than a few resistors on the ground and shield on the unreleased version). It uses a new, clean power signal while aslo reclocking the data signal with reduced jitter. Effectively, it recreates the entire USB signal. So, you should find differences between this and the ipurifier and they might even sound good together!

May 20, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #3,732 of 9,047
OK, thanks for your replies.

As stated by, you can't. However, if it is a desktop setup - you can try adding a self-powered USB hub (with BC1.2 support) in between your smartphone and micro iDSD and it should be able to keep charging the micro iDSD while in use. If it is meant for portable use and you don't mind carrying a big power bank, an 'OTG power injector' (search eBay) might help. Haven't tried one myself though.

May 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,733 of 9,047
  1. I also suggest that you use the PREAMPLIFIER setting so that your power levels and volume remain consistent.

Not sure I get that point.

I always thought that the Pre-amp would better suit for pairing Micro with a power amplifier that has no volume controls. When connecting to a headphone amplifier the Direct mode should output cleaner signal (at least in theory) because it bypasses extra amplification stage inside Micro.

Am I missing something maybe? What is the benefit of using the Pre-amp mode when connecting it to a headphone amp?

May 21, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,734 of 9,047
  Not sure I get that point.

I always thought that the Pre-amp would better suit for pairing Micro with a power amplifier that has no volume controls. When connecting to a headphone amplifier the Direct mode should output cleaner signal (at least in theory) because it bypasses extra amplification stage inside Micro.

Am I missing something maybe? What is the benefit of using the Pre-amp mode when connecting it to a headphone amp?

No worries.

Pre-amp mode is a "fixed" volume/power setting specifically for connection to another device (amp) that will control the volume.  I think of it as a fixed, "Line-out" setting for the iDSD Micro to go into an external amp.

May 21, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,735 of 9,047

No worries.

Pre-amp mode is a "fixed" volume/power setting specifically for connection to another device (amp) that will control the volume.  I think of it as a fixed, "Line-out" setting for the iDSD Micro to go into an external amp.

Ok, thanks, makes sense, talking about the same thing, just different terminology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back