iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 3, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #3,617 of 9,047
  I've finally decided to pull the trigger on the micro iDSD, but Music Direct has been out of stock for coming on a month, and cannot provide any info on when they'll have it in stock. MD has been recommended to me in the vs. Hugo thread as a good seller.

Can anyone recommend another reliable US online seller? I'm having it shipped to a friend in California who will bring it to me in Taiwan, and it has to get to her by the first week of June. I really don't want to have to their entire list of US sellers to find one with stock, and then have to determine if they can ship it on time reliably. http://ifi-audio.com/sales/#usa

Have sent iFi customer service an email and am waiting to her back.

Thanks!

Signature Sound out of New York sells and is where I got mine if you are on the North-East Coast of US and want a "local" place.  Rich (Owner) is a great guy that I've spoken with often and he has always been helpful.

Rich Brkich
Owner, Signature Sound
Telephone: 315-622-4137

May 3, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,618 of 9,047
  FYI, recently reviewed ATH-R70x headphone. During the review I tried all gears I have, DACs and Amps, and guess what, ifi micro iDSD + iCAN sounds better than my other big gears to drive ATH-R70x. My other gears probably matching better with my other cans, but for ATH-R70x, so far ifi stack sounds best!!!

Awesome!  So....  Question:  How different does your setup sound when you listen from JUST the iDSD Micro VS the iDSD Micro + the iCAN?  Any change in the sound colorations, and characteristics?  Or is it just "MORE POWER"?  Either is fine by me as I love my iDSD Micro by itself, but curious to know what changes with the stacking of the 2 in real world setups.

May 4, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #3,619 of 9,047

Awesome!  So....  Question:  How different does your setup sound when you listen from JUST the iDSD Micro VS the iDSD Micro + the iCAN?  Any change in the sound colorations, and characteristics?  Or is it just "MORE POWER"?  Either is fine by me as I love my iDSD Micro by itself, but curious to know what changes with the stacking of the 2 in real world setups.

Do you mean comparing the headphone output?

micro iDSD headphone output is a little too dry, lean sounding, and a bit edgy on the treble. micro iCAN is much more refined sounding. Not the power, but sound quality refinement. micro iCAN sounds smoother and much more pleasing to my ears. micro iCAN treble sounds more natural, transparent without any harshness or edgyness.

May 4, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #3,620 of 9,047

I think Todd The Vinyl Junkie sells them. 
http://www.ttvjaudio.com

Try Avatar Acoustics.

Signature Sound out of New York sells and is where I got mine if you are on the North-East Coast of US and want a "local" place.  Rich (Owner) is a great guy that I've spoken with often and he has always been helpful.

Rich Brkich
Owner, Signature Sound
Telephone: 315-622-4137

Thanks to all above.

May 4, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,621 of 9,047

micro iDSD headphone output is a little too dry, lean sounding, and a bit edgy on the treble. micro iCAN is much more refined sounding. Not the power, but sound quality refinement. micro iCAN sounds smoother and much more pleasing to my ears. micro iCAN treble sounds more natural, transparent without any harshness or edgyness.

Perfect one sentence summation in describing the sound quality of the iDSD micro's headphone section.  Often times with many headphones it's not about brute power, but the ability to convey music in all it's natural harmonic richness without change.

May 4, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,622 of 9,047

Interessting. I own both too. I can't tell any difference between micro iDSD and micro iCAN if only the amp section from iDSD is used. It only change if I use the dac section + amp section from the iDSD with Bit-Perfect filter enabled. My cans are Sennheiser HD 800 and only with Bit-Perfect setting the treble extension sound more smooth and natural. In this case it doesn't matter if i I use iDSD alone or iDSD + iCAN together.

May 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3,623 of 9,047
Just joined the party!

May 4, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,625 of 9,047

i owned the micro iCAN before the iDSD was released. i then sold the iCAN thinking the iDSD would be able to match it, but i agree with your assessment, too edgy and dry. the micro iDSD is a absolute marvel when it comes to the dac section but the headphone amp is an ad on, a good one but i dont use it.

May 4, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,626 of 9,047
i owned the micro iCAN before the iDSD was released. i then sold the iCAN thinking the iDSD would be able to match it, but i agree with your assessment, too edgy and dry. the micro iDSD is a absolute marvel when it comes to the dac section but the headphone amp is an ad on, a good one but i dont use it.
agreed. for the price, the idsd is very versatile and has a good DAC. but the amp is its weak point.

May 5, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #3,627 of 9,047

+1 Agree.

May 5, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #3,628 of 9,047
Hi

Only just starting out for my headphone setup and would appreciate some advice. Currently I have the following portable setup:
Line out from Ipod classic to Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE amp (original, not mk2 version) to Ultrasone Signature Pro closed headphones.
Most of my music is stored as Flac files and I want to lose the Ipod and use my Samsung android tablet as the source using an OTG cable for line out.
Heard great things about both the idsd micro and the idsd nano and can't decide what way to go.
As I will be mainly using Flac and already have the Vorzamp Pure amp, is there any point in getting the more expensive idsd micro just to use it's dac over the dac in the idsd nano - are they pretty much the same dac in both? I've also read the micro incorprates the iPurifier; will this make a significant difference over the dac in the nano?

Also, if anyone has compared the Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE to the amp in the micro which did you prefer?

Thank-you.

May 5, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,629 of 9,047
+1 Agree.

Seconded.  I haven't found anything PORTABLE that sounds better and can drive my HD-650s so well, (Though the FIIO e17 & more-so the e12 sounds pretty good as well.) but when I use it in the loft with the entertainment center setup I use my ASGARD 2 for the amp to get that extra tier of sweetness and enjoyment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back