iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 9, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #3,648 of 9,047
As do I. It's logical that it would be pronounced that way. :)

Same, though I think of it as "eye-fye"

Hey if "iffy" gives you a giggle, what's the harm? Just know that others may not get the joke without explanation.

May 11, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #3,649 of 9,047
Does anyone try pairing iFi iDSD micro used as a DAC with other dedicated amp?

I'm thinking of getting it to pair with Burson Soloist to drive LCD2r2. Currently I'm using ODAC DAC. 

Thanks in advance.

May 11, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #3,650 of 9,047

I'm thinking of getting it to pair with Burson Soloist to drive LCD2r2. Currently I'm using ODAC DAC. 

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently using the iDSD with a Gustard H10 and it's working very well.

May 11, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3,651 of 9,047

Thanks in advance.

I run my iDSD micro into my SPL Auditor Headphone amp, which is a pro audio design for mastering.

In fact, I just recently was asked to bring my SPL Auditor out to a recording session, where we listened, first, to some mixes with HD800s just coming out of a Berringer mixing board. It sounded good! When we then hooked up the SPL Auditor out of the board, listening through the same cans, you could now here how narrow the stereo mix was, when they had spent a lot of time with stereo placement. We took it a step further and hooked up the iDSD micro to the whole rig, with the Auditor, and now you could hear every little digital glitch, or imperfect edit done in the digital domain. The tracks were really put under a microscope to where quite a few thing needed to be cleaned up, including regaining some dynamic range, which was lost only by mixing with through monitors.

In short, my home rig told the truth...and by referencing some choice tracks, they were able to get what they had wanted...and more!

May 11, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,653 of 9,047

I run my iDSD micro into my SPL Auditor Headphone amp, which is a pro audio design for mastering.

In fact, I just recently was asked to bring my SPL Auditor out to a recording session, where we listened, first, to some mixes with HD800s just coming out of a Berringer mixing board. It sounded good! When we then hooked up the SPL Auditor out of the board, listening through the same cans, you could now here how narrow the stereo mix was, when they had spent a lot of time with stereo placement. We took it a step further and hooked up the iDSD micro to the whole rig, with the Auditor, and now you could hear every little digital glitch, or imperfect edit done in the digital domain. The tracks were really put under a microscope to where quite a few thing needed to be cleaned up, including regaining some dynamic range, which was lost only by mixing with through monitors.

In short, my home rig told the truth...and by referencing some choice tracks, they were able to get what they had wanted...and more!

Doing your recording with Behringer mixer.....ooops.....I wish you luck my friend 
tongue.gif

May 11, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,655 of 9,047
Just received a slightly used iFi iUSB power supply and it actually does make a difference in SQ with Micro iDSD DAC. I was skeptical at first that it would bring any tangible improvement compared to the internal battery but it seems like it did. The sound is overall more spacious and the bass seems to be more pronounced. I went back and forth with my HE-560 and can hear the difference. Currently using the stock blue cables and may build some DIY silver USB cables later.

Did anyone try to tape pin 1 and 4 of the USB cable going from the computer to iUSB power supply? I just did that and it seems to be improving the quality even little more. This way only the data (- and +) are transferred without 5V (-/+) from the computer in the same cable. It works just fine with my ASUS 205T laptop without having to create a dummy load on the 5V (-/+) using some resistors and led lights, since some systems may need to be tricked to have a load on the USB power lines to send the data. After taping pins 1 and 4 - it seems to sound slightly more open and with more open end, but I am not 100% about it, probably it is just some placebo effect in my mind or something. Just wondering if someone else noticed anything different after disabling those pins too?

May 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,656 of 9,047
Just received a slightly used iFi iUSB power supply and it actually does make a difference in SQ with Micro iDSD DAC. I was skeptical at first that it would bring any tangible improvement compared to the internal battery but it seems like it did. The sound is overall more spacious and the bass seems to be more pronounced. I went back and forth with my HE-560 and can hear the difference. Currently using the stock blue cables and may build some DIY silver USB cables later.

Did anyone try to tape pin 1 and 4 of the USB cable going from the computer to iUSB power supply? I just did that and it seems to be improving the quality even little more. This way only the data (- and +) are transferred without 5V (-/+) from the computer in the same cable. It works just fine with my ASUS 205T laptop without having to create a dummy load on the 5V (-/+) using some resistors and led lights, since some systems may need to be tricked to have a load on the USB power lines to send the data. After taping pins 1 and 4 - it seems to sound slightly more open and with more open end, but I am not 100% about it, probably it is just some placebo effect in my mind or something. Just wondering if someone else noticed anything different after disabling those pins too?

Q: "Did anyone try to tape pin 1 and 4 of the USB cable going from the computer to iUSB power supply?"

A:

We do not recommend this. The iUSB Power has the iSo-Earth feature which safely breaks the ground Between Computer and the attached device.

Additonally, the Power from the Computer is used strictly for the indication for "Computer attached" and "Iso-Earth enabled" and does not progress any further.

So in effect using the iUSB Power and enabling IsoEarth has the exact same effect as cutting power/ground in the USB cable, without violating the USB protocol requirements and without creating the potential to cause damage to either DAC or Computer USB Ports.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,657 of 9,047
Thanks for the explanation iFi Audio. I will remove the masking tape and run the USB cable as is then. It was for experimentation purposes anyways and as mentioned earlier it might be sounding the same with or without disabling Pin 1 and 4. The "difference" could be merely psychological. The idea was to cut off the computer USB power supply in the connector level because the computer power noise could negatively effect the data transmission since both the power and the data wires are located close to each other in the same cable, but this is in theory only, both cables are shielded and the cable length is pretty short actually. The USB data and power are already located close to each other prior to the USB plug on the computer motherboard.

It really sounds gorgeous with the iFi usb power added to the system, definitely worth of upgrading to it.

May 14, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #3,658 of 9,047

Eco mode, can charge battery from normal USB port at a rate of maybe 100mA, so around 48 Hours needed of Charge & Play to bring a flat battery back. Sleep mode allows 300mA charging, so 16 Hours in sleep mode come back from a flat battery.

Normal mode, no charging current available, audio peaks may eat into the battery so it may eventually go flat. Sleep mode allows 300mA charging, so 16 Hours in sleep mode come back from a flat battery.

Turbo Mode, battery is always drawn on, it is depleted at a rate of around 350mA without signal, more with. So the battery will be depleted in around 12-15 Hours of playback or less if playing loud.  Sleep mode allows 300mA charging, so 16 Hours in sleep mode come back from a flat battery.

Recommended workaround, purchase a Hub which is BC1.2 Battery charging compatible, it will allow charging even in turbo mode.

I use it with my Audeze LCD2, which would be better to use: normal mode at about 80% of volume pot or turbo mode at about 30%. Sound quality should be the same at equal volume but less power drain?

May 14, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #3,659 of 9,047
I use it with my Audeze LCD2, which would be better to use: normal mode at about 80% of volume pot or turbo mode at about 30%. Sound quality should be the same at equal volume but less power drain?

It suggested to put the gain at a position that gives you optimal volume with the pot between 9-12 o'clock to avoid channel imbalance.

May 14, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,660 of 9,047
It suggested to put the gain at a position that gives you optimal volume with the pot between 9-12 o'clock to avoid channel imbalance.

I personally find the Normal mode better on bass quality and bass dynamics using Bit-Perfect filter. There's more bass "surround", for lack of better term. Richer bass? More full bodied bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back