iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #1,711 of 9,047
  A couple questions -

1) I know this works with Android via UAPP - but does it work natively (Ie for Spotify)?  My phone is HTC One M8 if that matters...:)
2) any thoughts on if this is better than CEntrance HiFi-m8?  I plan to be powering Alpha Dogs

with regards to item (1), you would probably need to be on Lollipop (Android 5.0) as this brings native USB compatibility to Android devices (although not hi-res I believe).

Head-fi user Danba maintains a list of such things. the one you might find useful is here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XYy1FuzDUeRkdUdlhMRnQzaUk/edit

According to this the idsd  Nano does NOT work on Lollipop, at least on the Nexus 6 (I assume that means the Micro as well).  So in summary, you'd need to try before you buy...or get confirmation from someone you trust either way.

Android Thread is here, might be worth asking the question.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5760#post_11076260

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,712 of 9,047
With my Sony Z Ultra with Android 4.4.4 only USB Player Pro is working (both PCM and DSD). Spotify and Neutron are not working.

However, for what I know, this is NOT a limitation of this Android version or this smartphone, since USB output is working fine with all applications using Audiophonics U-SABRE (with ESS 9023,  hifimedy equivalent).

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,713 of 9,047
  However, for what I know, this is NOT a limitation of this Android version or this smartphone, since USB output is working fine with all applications using Audiophonics U-SABRE (with ESS 9023,  hifimedy equivalent).

This is an limitation of Android. No drivers for the micro iDSD. I can use e.g. my X-Fi USB Go! sound card native on all apps, because its an legacy driver for this audio device in Android built-in.

The mirco iDSD uses XMOS and needs a proper driver, the same with Windows, without driver installation = not possible to use the micro iDSD, but this Plug&Play legacy X-Fi USB sound card can use Windows drivers which built-in.

And finally with Android 5, you get better driver support, but still no solution to play more than 16bit/44kHz, this limitation still exists, still need UAPP to play 24bit or DSD native.

Some e.g. Sony devices got modded drivers like the Sony Z3, with is now able to play trough Android 24bit/192kHz but only on rarely supported DACs like from Sony.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,714 of 9,047
I just ordered my iDSD Micro. This is my first external dac/amp, so exciting. I am a huge music lover but most of my collection are high-res mp3 and some ape and flac, DSD and DXD are something totally new to me. It would be greatly appreated if anyone can share where to buy or find these resources. Forgive me if this has been discussed before. Thanks!

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,715 of 9,047
If anyone is interested, there seems to be a new review of the iDSD at headphone.guru and Jude finally gave his review/impressions of it at the latest Winter Gift Guide!!

http://headphone.guru/ifi-idsd-micro/
http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-portable-amps-dacs-daps

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #1,716 of 9,047
Yes, but I'd like some more comparison in configuration home hi-fi with speakers, compared to DAC desktop, or even in comparison to the internal DAC of the standard CD Player
Ever with classical music

Sorry for my bad English

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #1,717 of 9,047
Yes, but I'd like some more comparison in configuration home hi-fi with speakers, compared to DAC desktop, or even in comparison to the internal DAC of the standard CD Player
Ever with classical music

Sorry for my bad English

There is one on audiostream.com

It was considered a good product but the review wasn't as ecstatic or favourable towards the iDSD as I expected it to be. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,718 of 9,047
Nov 29, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,719 of 9,047
Nov 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,721 of 9,047
I still can't get over the fact that for less than $1k, (iDSD,X3, 128gb microSD card, pick your 'phones) I can have better quality sound (semi)-portably than I've ever had at home. These are the good old days as Carly Simon once sang.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #1,723 of 9,047
I still can't get over the fact that for less than $1k, (iDSD,X3, 128gb microSD card, pick your 'phones) I can have better quality sound (semi)-portably than I've ever had at home. These are the good old days as Carly Simon once sang.
Why do you mean less than US$1k?? It's half of it!...:D

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,724 of 9,047
Nov 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,725 of 9,047
The Micro iDSD received the Greatest Bits" award from Audio Stream. That's a pretty big deal.

Tbh I was expecting Class B "Favourite Bits" as the Nano iDSD was part of the Class C "Favourite Bits." The Nano iDSD was also said to be very very close to the Halide DAC HD which is a Class B "Favourite Bit" and the Micro is supposedly a huge step up… From his review and comments, he seemed off-put by the large array of features and believed it could have been sold at a cheaper price or say a lot of that space in the headphone amp and costs could have gone to an even better DAC section. This is speculation on my part though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back