iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #166 of 9,047
I find it leans more on the warmer side, and it seem to pair very well with most headphones I throw at it. Does took some time for me to play with the power thought. Vincent emailed me regarding it and I find it extremely helpful! Thanks Vincent @ iFi :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #167 of 9,047
iFi Audio,

what is the intended behavior of the top LED, when Power Mode has detected there is no incoming digital signal over USB (after 3 minutes?)?

My use case:  connect iPhone to micro iDSD at night, set up a 1hr playlist to doze off to sleep with IEMs.
in the morning, the micro iDSD LED is blinking green.

so I'm unsure if the micro iDSD is truly going into a hibernate/sleep mode?  or is actually chewing up it's battery all night...

thanks,

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #171 of 9,047
I've had the loki, nano and micro. The nano was significantly better and smoother than the loki. The micro is significantly better than the nano.

i've had the nano two different times...and it's a nice unit for the price. but the micro is worlds better. much more detailed, much better soundstage...and the power? geez, i have to listen in IEMatch with my th900 b/c even in eco mode it's too powerful.

Aug 6, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #172 of 9,047
i've had the nano two different times...and it's a nice unit for the price. but the micro is worlds better. much more detailed, much better soundstage...and the power? geez, i have to listen in IEMatch with my th900 b/c even in eco mode it's too powerful.

^ this. It's super duper powerful :D iFi is really loaded for HE-6 this time. Wish I have one to pair with mine haha xD

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #173 of 9,047
  Just received the micro iDSD this afternoon and gave it a quick listening before committing it to the 24hrs recharging as recommended by iFi - and I am mighty impressed!!! My Xperia Z2 works right off the bat when I connected the OTG cable to micro iDSD. Neutron is singing as beautifully as I can ever hope for. It is pretty much the same level of SQ I have heard from my desktop iDAC + iCAN setup, and that really say something about the micro iDSD pairing with a smartphone.

Did I mention I am really impressed? I truly am.

hi ClieOS,

where did you get this in Malaysia? or did you get it from SG?

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #174 of 9,047
  hi ClieOS,

where did you get this in Malaysia? or did you get it from SG?

Got mine as a review sample. I have reviewed their products in the past.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #176 of 9,047
  ok... the only dealer in the is region is in SG, right? 

If I am not mistaken, Stereo Electronics is the official dealer in SG and MY. Try give them a call and see if they have it in stock or not (number can be found on iFi website). They are also active on forum @ hardwarezone.com.sg.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #179 of 9,047
I've had the loki, nano and micro. The nano was significantly better and smoother than the loki. The micro is significantly better than the nano.

Yes, I certainly considered the Loki along with the Nano back in February when i was first in the market for a DSD capable DAC.  Michael L. of Audiostream gave it a great review.  (Of course, he later gave the Nano a glowing endorsement)  

The only thing about the Loki, other than that it is DSD only, is exactly how it converts DSD.  Now, there are lots of opinions on the various DSD conversion methods, but in my opinion, the least amount of DSP leads to the best sound.  Of course, you have Michal at Mytek extolling the virtues of the ESS chipset, which ultimately converts DSD to the same multi-bit Delta Sigma format as everything else that goes into it.  But back to the Loki.  The AKM chipset in it is similar to the ESS in that it ultimately converts DSD into a multi-bit delta sigma format.  

Well, is all that really a big deal though?   Isn't multi-bit delta sigma better than one bit DSD?  Well, yes it is, in my opinion.  The problem is in how you get there.  You can't just magically turn one bit DSD into multi-bit delta sigma.  There is a process, and it is lossy.  The process at least involves digital filtering.  The output of which is a multi-bit format, which may or may not be at the same sample rate as what went in.  Then the multi-bit intermediary (which I am not comfortable naming.  You start using certain designations, and the format wars begin) must be re-modulated via another delta sigma modulator.  So you have a least two delta sigma modulations in the chain, as well as a digital filter, which can and does denigrate the impulse response and can add ringing.  

The question we then have to ask is, "Do the benefits gained by converting to Multi-bit Delta Sigma outweigh the losses incurred during the DSP required to get there?"  

My answer is no.  Not in my various listening tests.  Now DSD can sound very, very good after processing, and often does take on somewhat different, if not positive characteristics.  It this were not so, those DAC's that process DSD would be getting panned.  But ultimately I prefer the sound of 'pure' DSD conversion.   For the same reasons, I am not a big fan of DSD 'upsampling' either, like is starting to be included in some boutique products.  The other interesting thing is, the same process is required to simply down-sample DSD!  So if you have the option to buy DSD at multiple rates, the best option will be the original rate.  The same could of course be said for PCM, but that is a different discussion! 
blink.gif

whew!  deep breath time.  All that to say, I am not surprised a couple of you have found the Nano and the Micro to be superior to the Loki.  It in my opinion just comes down to a better implementation.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back