iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,441 of 9,047
iDAC? IDAC would improve the micro iDSD?

Apologies Diamondears. I mistyped iDAC when I should have typed iCan

And no, I don't mean to infer that the iCan or iDAC can improve the iDSD.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ken N.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,442 of 9,047
Question: if iPurifyer is already built-in to the iDSD Micro, then why would you need the iUSB Power unit? Just plug the iDSD Micro into your USB port, and it cleans up the USB 2 or USB 3 port noise handily. (At least compared to the noise that gets through my FIIO e17 USB connection in my setup, it does!)

To put it short, iUSB Power is for cleaning up the power lines, where iPurifier is mainly for cleaning up the data lines.

Very similar to one of my buddy's impression on both of them but the Chord Hugo seem to perform noticeably better than the Micro iDSD with certain headphones he said.

I'll imagine the richer, warmer tone from the Hugo should be a really good match for some headphone, though personally I think it is more related to synergy rather than performance difference. Beyond that, I just don't 'hear the price difference between them, for better or worst.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,443 of 9,047
One question from a noob, so at first sorry about that:

I think of using the Micro as DAC in my home rig. Would not use it as portable.

So please could someone explain me how I could charge it, must I charge with a MAC/PC?

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,444 of 9,047
I wanted a better understanding of the seven different USB streaming modes in the control panel for the iDSD. I understand that several other DAC's uses the same USB windows control panel. I tried goggle but not having much luck in explaining more on the details of the seven USB streaming modes. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #1,447 of 9,047
To put it short, iUSB Power is for cleaning up the power lines, where iPurifier is mainly for cleaning up the data lines.

I'll imagine the richer, warmer tone from the Hugo should be a really good match for some headphone, though personally I think it is more related to synergy rather than performance difference. Beyond that, I just don't 'hear the price difference between them, for better or worst.

I believe the Hugo is will be more popular because the sound signature is more like-able? But thanks for the impression!
One question from a noob, so at first sorry about that:

I think of using the Micro as DAC in my home rig. Would not use it as portable.

So please could someone explain me how I could charge it, must I charge with a MAC/PC?

Since you are just using it as a DAC, turn on the power only after you have connected to the source will help avoid using battery power unless you are running Turbo mode in the amp section. Make sure to get 24 hour battery charge before use thought.

SQ wise, because I'm finding a source for my sensitive K10. Between Nano and Micro, which one will have a better SQ ? (other futures aside)

The Micro for sure. :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,449 of 9,047
I believe the Hugo is will be more popular because the sound signature is more like-able? But thanks for the impression!

Probably. The big turn-off for me about Hugo is not its sound though, but the lack of attention to the outer design. As I have said, it just looks too much like an afterthought.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,450 of 9,047
Yo, just got these for my lcd2s. whoa. Major step up from my e9. Damn. By the way, couldn't wait on the battery thing, just had to send it right when I unboxed it. Works fine. 

also, it's definitely got serious power. I can't do turbo mode at all. 10 o clock on normal with the audezes is pretty loud lol. 

Does anyone know about combining the turbo mode with the IEM thing on the back? Anyone have the lcd2s -- what settings do you prefer (3D, IEM, etc.)?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,452 of 9,047
I concur. iEMatch on Turbo introduces very audible distortion. When I demoed the LCD-2 with my micro iDSD, I was using Normal with iEMatch either set to off or High Sensitivity. Vocals and soundstage depth was amazing. Bass was very clean and detailed. The weight was well balanced with tightness. The advice I can give is "burn them in." It's not a gradual getting better and better. There are points within the first 100 hours that sound worse than newly opened. Past that point, it becomes gradually better but witn the increments of improvement also slowly decreasing.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,453 of 9,047
  Yo, just got these for my lcd2s. whoa. Major step up from my e9. Damn. By the way, couldn't wait on the battery thing, just had to send it right when I unboxed it. Works fine. 

also, it's definitely got serious power. I can't do turbo mode at all. 10 o clock on normal with the audezes is pretty loud lol. 

Does anyone know about combining the turbo mode with the IEM thing on the back? Anyone have the lcd2s -- what settings do you prefer (3D, IEM, etc.)?

Thanks

I run the LCD2-F with the iDSD Micro -- great combo!  I am on Normal power mode with IEMatch set to Off.  I usually leave the XBass and 3D off, as well.  Finally, I am on the Standard filter for DSD and Bit-Perfect for PCM.

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #1,454 of 9,047
I have a question for the forum. When I am playing DSD files the iDSD lights up cyan as expected. When I look at the MAC Audio MIDI setup, the frequency says 176,000 Hz Output format. Is that right, or should the Audio MIDI setup show a higher frequency than that? Just wondering. I am using Audirvana Plus with all the iFi recommended settings.

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,455 of 9,047

Thanks

Hi,

Please do not with LCD-2s or similar.

The iEmatch circuit reduces the output from the Amplifier when too powerful and really should be applied after first engaging "Eco" mode and only if there is still insufficient volume control range.

This is like flooring the accelerator and then applying brakes - just use the Power mode to use with your desired headphone first. Turbo @ 4W is too much for most headphones out there.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back