iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 11, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,426 of 9,047
Here to report that this combo works like a charm:

Sony NWZ-A15 (or A16 / A17) + WMC-NWH10 (OTG cable) + iDSD micro.

iDSD nano will work as well.

A15-iDSDm.jpg

Get that filter switch away from the "standard" setting! :rolleyes:

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,427 of 9,047
I am awaiting my Forza custom digital cable, should arrive in the next day or so hopefully, as it shipped on the 5th.  http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=30
I plug into the 3.5mm socket on my DX90 and use the RCA Intelligent SPDIF® Coaxial jack on the back of the iDSD Micro.  (Port next to the RCA LEFT AND RIGHT)

Used the left channel of a straight RCA audio cable with an RCA to 3.5mm adapter tip in the mean time.  Works, but I expect the custom cable to be more efficient, if not just more convenient since it doesn't have the extra bulk of being too long, and a useless right channel RCA cable that all has to be wrapped-up together.  Best bet is if you can find a straight composite video RCA cable and drop the adapter on it until you get a custom cable.  (Or make-do with it if it is short enough.)

Hope this helps!

Ken N.

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,428 of 9,047
I just finished the 24+ hour charge on my micro via my pc's usb 3 port and then installed the driver.  It sounds very nice coming from foobar or mediamonkey, I had the bit perfect switch on then realized I was only playing level 10 ogg's.  There is definitely a delay between turning the ifi on and when it actually powers on.

I also picked up a ntw p/n nusbd-445fm/mic cable to try to utilize with my oneplus one.  It is either the cyan or magenta color led that lights up however neutron, poweramp and usb audio recorder pro do not recognize the micro and therefore do not output any sound.  Has anyone got the idsd working with an android device?  The ntw cable should work correct?  I also ordered a comprehensive usbaf-mcbmra cable however the a female connector is a little too big and I do not want to force it in any further.  Size wise it matches the opo nicely however no usb audio.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,429 of 9,047
Nevermind usb audio recorder pro is functioning now.  Apparently if I try neutron or poweramp first and then usb recorder pro, it refuses to connect.  Simply close the app then unplug the idsd and plug it back in and all is well.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #1,430 of 9,047
Hi guys,

Would like to seek opinions on which setup will yield better results. Currently using first setup.

iusbpower -> idsd micro -> hd800

iusbpower -> idsd micro -> micro ican -> hd800

Thanks.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #1,431 of 9,047
iUSB➡️micro iDSD➡️HD-800 not powerful enough?

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,432 of 9,047
Hi guys,

Would like to seek opinions on which setup will yield better results. Currently using first setup.

iusbpower -> idsd micro -> hd800

iusbpower -> idsd micro -> micro ican -> hd800

Thanks.

The Micro iCAN is said to be a better amp than the Micro iDSD's amp section though I bet there are other desktop amps that would do even better for something like an HD800. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,433 of 9,047
Got to hear Chord Hugo today head-to-head against iDSD micro. Can't say I find Hugo to be any better sound. Both are excellent DAC/amp but Hugo has a very obvious warmish / richer tone. One thing I dislike about Hugo is that it is a very user-unfriendly design, with almost no marking on the casing to tell you which does what, not to mention the design is rather ugly. Chord should have more paid attention to the little detail consider how expensive Hugo is. It is like someone's unfinished project.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,434 of 9,047
The Micro iCAN is said to be a better amp than the Micro iDSD's amp section though I bet there are other desktop amps that would do even better for something like an HD800. 

Question: if iPurifyer is already built-in to the iDSD Micro, then why would you need the iUSB Power unit? Just plug the iDSD Micro into your USB port, and it cleans up the USB 2 or USB 3 port noise handily. (At least compared to the noise that gets through my FIIO e17 USB connection in my setup, it does!)

As far as power needed to drive the HD-800, unless someone who owns one AND a HD-650, both broken-in well, can confirm otherwise, I'd be inclined to believe that the HD-800 isn't any harder to drive than the HD-650. And the iDSD Micro puts out plenty of power to make the HD-650s sound great to my ears. MUCH better than the FIIO e17 or even my old full-sized Panasonic surround sound home theater's "headphone out". The SCHIIT ASGARD 2 does beat it in terms of raw power, but both can be driven to volume levels uncomfortable for listening, so much-so that the advantage of portability trumps the minor difference many times over for me.

Nothing to stop you from buying an iCan if you want to try it, but I recommend you obtain it from a source that allows returns without restocking fees... I truly don't believe it will be a "value-add" over your iDSD Micro by itself.

Suggestion: A good, desktop amp with oodles of power that has been reviewed as sounding great with the HD-800 would be where I'd spend that extra money. Use the costs you'd save on the iUSB Power, (If you can still return it.) and iCan (EDIT: correction typed iDAC by mistake.) to get you started.

Just my 2 cents. If you DO decide to try them both anyway, please let me know if you disagree with my impressions. It's all about sharing and experimenting after all!

(My personal budget just isn't great enough to try everything unless I can be reasonably sure based on others' impressions that a purchase makes clear sound quality improvement sense. "Buy once by buying-right rather than buying-cheap" is my motto. To date, I've not read anything that shows as a better value for sound quality, file support, features, or raw power in the iDSD's price range or even double. And that includes both portable and non-portable solutions.)

Most of all, ENJOY THE MUSIC! :D

Ken N.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #1,435 of 9,047
Question: if iPurifyer is already built-in to the iDSD Micro, then why would you need the iUSB Power unit? Just plug the iDSD Micro into your USB port, and it cleans up the USB 2 or USB 3 port noise handily. (At least compared to the noise that gets through my FIIO e17 USB connection in my setup, it does!)

As far as power needed to drive the HD-800, unless someone who owns one AND a HD-650, both broken-in well, can confirm otherwise, I'd be inclined to believe that the HD-800 isn't any harder to drive than the HD-650. And the iDSD Micro puts out plenty of power to make the HD-650s sound great to my ears. MUCH better than the FIIO e17 or even my old full-sized Panasonic surround sound home theater's "headphone out". The SCHIIT ASGARD 2 does beat it in terms of raw power, but both can be driven to volume levels uncomfortable for listening, so much-so that the advantage of portability trumps the minor difference many times over for me.

Nothing to stop you from buying an iCan if you want to try it, but I recommend you obtain it from a source that allows returns without restocking fees... I truly don't believe it will be a "value-add" over your iDSD Micro by itself.

Suggestion: A good, desktop amp with oodles of power that has been reviewed as sounding great with the HD-800 would be where I'd spend that extra money. Use the costs you'd save on the iUSB Power, (If you can still return it.) and iDAC to get you started.

Just my 2 cents. If you DO decide to try them both anyway, please let me know if you disagree with my impressions. It's all about sharing and experimenting after all!

(My personal budget just isn't great enough to try everything unless I can be reasonably sure based on others' impressions that a purchase makes clear sound quality improvement sense. "Buy once by buying-right rather than buying-cheap" is my motto. To date, I've not read anything that shows as a better value for sound quality, file support, features, or raw power in the iDSD's price range or even double. And that includes both portable and non-portable solutions.)

Most of all, ENJOY THE MUSIC! :D

Ken N.
iDAC? IDAC would improve the micro iDSD?

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,436 of 9,047
Got to hear Chord Hugo today head-to-head against iDSD micro. Can't say I find Hugo to be any better sound. Both are excellent DAC/amp but Hugo has a very obvious warmish / richer tone. One thing I dislike about Hugo is that it is a very user-unfriendly design, with almost no marking on the casing to tell you which does what, not to mention the design is rather ugly. Chord should have more paid attention to the little detail consider how expensive Hugo is. It is like someone's unfinished project.
Wow. That is quite a statement. Goes to show how great the micro iDSD is.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,437 of 9,047

Very similar to one of my buddy's impression on both of them but the Chord Hugo seem to perform noticeably better than the Micro iDSD with certain headphones he said.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,438 of 9,047
Very similar to one of my buddy's impression on both of them but the Chord Hugo seem to perform noticeably better than the Micro iDSD with certain headphones he said.

Close to another $2000 for some magic mumbo jumbo… it must be depressing to realize your phones are those that perform similarly on both after already buying the Hugo.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,439 of 9,047
Close to another $2000 for some magic mumbo jumbo… it must be depressing to realize your phones are those that perform similarly on both after already buying the Hugo.

Agreed. I find it both relieving and gratifying that others are consistently finding that an iDSD Micro is relatively on-par with a Chord HUGO, (With the exception of "some" headphones apparently.) when the iDSD Micro costs a good bit less than 1/4th the cost of a Chord HUGO... :D

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,440 of 9,047

Any way that we might hear what headphones he had in mind when that statement was made? (Hoping that the HD-650 wasn't one of them... But then again, good on the HD-650s if they can manage to sound even better than they do on my iDSD Micro!). :wink:

Ken N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back