iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 29, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #6,271 of 9,047
I've been having the strangest damn issue with this thing, guys.
Often, when light switches are flipped, or an appliance is plugged into a socket in my place, the audio will completely drop.
When that happens, I either have to stop and restart music playback, close whatever application I was using, or completely restart my PC.
It's extremely annoying, and I'm not sure what's causing it. I have many things plugged into my PC through USB, and this is the only piece of hardware affected by this.

My audio chain is like this: PC -> iFi iUSBPower -> iFi Gemini Cable -> iFi iPurifier -> iFi iDSD micro -> Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250 ohm)
I've also tried just PC -> iFi iDSD micro -> Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250 ohm)
The audio drops either way.

I'd love some insight on this phenomena, because I love this equipment, but I'm thinking of replacing if this keeps happening.

May 30, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #6,272 of 9,047
What's your PC plugged in to?

What's happens when the headphones are plugged into the PC using the same music software?

May 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #6,273 of 9,047
It's more of a matter with your electric line and your PC rather than the iFi DAC itself. I have the idac2, the modi, odac and they all exhibit the same issue as yours. Foobar throws a message similar to when I plug out the DAC during playback.

May 30, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #6,275 of 9,047
Does the problem happen when the headphones are powered through the PC? Trying to determine if the playback software is te cause?

Does the problem happen with YouTube and all other audio services?

May 30, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #6,276 of 9,047
Does the problem happen when the headphones are powered through the PC? Trying to determine if the playback software is te cause?

Does the problem happen with YouTube and all other audio services?

I'm pretty much using the device as an external sound card for my PC.
The issue doesn't occur with my Motherboard's internal sound card, or any other USB device currently plugged in.
But, when it does happen to the device, it's not just Foobar2000 that drops my audio.
My audio is dropped in every application that is running, FireFox, games, everything.
Sometimes, the device is even dropped from Windows Playback Devices entirely, forcing me to totally restart the PC.
This has ruined some of my live streams and podcast recordings... :frowning2:

If it's an electrical issue, I'd assume that everything I have plugged in would at least show a similar sign.
I have quite a few devices plugged into the same machine, yet this is the only one that has any issue.

May 30, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #6,278 of 9,047

I'm pretty much using the device as an external sound card for my PC.
The issue doesn't occur with my Motherboard's internal sound card, or any other USB device currently plugged in.
But, when it does happen to the device, it's not just Foobar2000 that drops my audio.
My audio is dropped in every application that is running, FireFox, games, everything.
Sometimes, the device is even dropped from Windows Playback Devices entirely, forcing me to totally restart the PC.
This has ruined some of my live streams and podcast recordings... :frowning2:

If it's an electrical issue, I'd assume that everything I have plugged in would at least show a similar sign.
I have quite a few devices plugged into the same machine, yet this is the only one that has any issue.

Do you have a friend with a comp rig?  Go try it on theirs and see what happens. if the problem still persist then send it back to iFi for repairs.

May 30, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #6,279 of 9,047
My PC is plugged into a surge protector. I've tried both with and without, no difference.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this, or do I just have to live with it...?
im not sure but in my case ever since I bought the ipur2 it no longer happens. Back when it did happen, sometimes even turning off the speaker to which the DAC is connected might result in the same error. But all I had to do was plug out the usb cable and plug it in again.
I've had too many problems with usb too... Almost twice a week I have to reinstall the driver for my ifi because (it seems) the computer doesn't recognize it as the same device as before. Very frustrating at first, but as a tech guy I stopped caring at some point during the way...
Back to your problem. it seems restarting the computer makes things ok again so I guess it's something with the computer itself? Have you encountered the same issue with the other USB DACs? I'm asking this because IME the keyboard and mouse never have any problem at all, even when the DAC got disconnected, be it ifi or schiit. Next, at the moment the issue happens, would you be able to plug the DAC into another computer right away to see if things go normal? My computer runs on a UPS as well, but still those things happen

May 31, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #6,282 of 9,047
  I've been having the strangest damn issue with this thing, guys.

Often, when light switches are flipped, or an appliance is plugged into a socket in my place, the audio will completely drop.

Hi,

Then you already elimnated the electronics from the chain. Best you open an STS.

http://support.ifi-audio.com/

As a rule, such electrical anomalies are mains/earth-based.

But best ask the STS guys to ask you to run some test to narrow things down.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 3, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #6,284 of 9,047
I've had the same issues and had a ticket open with support last year. Whats happening is the old iUSB PSU that you are using is dropping the connection . You need the new iUSB PSU 3.0, It has that one switch to always send to the Micro so it wont drop. When I switched to the new iUSB Power  3.0 I never had a problem with the drivers missing from the sound card, thus having the drop outs, unless the Micro was dead due to needing to be charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back