iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #6,241 of 9,047
On the Aune T1 there was an discussion similar to this... I hope it's not all over again. Anyway the purpose of asio is to make sure no other applications can interfere with music playback. So if you want to play game at the same time, use direct sound as output

May 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #6,242 of 9,047
  Na, this must be a fun posting. Why is it important to you to hear native DSD when in the same time your concentration is on the game and not on music??

I was using iDSD without ASIO while playing games all this time but I wanted to ask if there is a way to make it happen. I mean I'm just asking. It's not that important. 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #6,243 of 9,047
Hello folks,

How would you compare the idsd's amp agains the amp of the shiit vali 2? My headphones are the sennheiser hd 598 and I would like to add some tube sound in the chain but I am afraid that the amp on the micro is much better than the amp in vali 2, I mean there is a huge difference in price...

Thanks for helping cheers 
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #6,244 of 9,047
  I was using iDSD without ASIO while playing games all this time but I wanted to ask if there is a way to make it happen. I mean I'm just asking. It's not that important. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think your best option is to get a regular audio card for your game sounds and use that in parallel with the iDSD. You would get 2 stereo outputs coming from your PC which you would need to mix before sending to your speakers.  I'll probably end up doing something like this when civ 6 comes out :)

May 17, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #6,245 of 9,047

How would you compare the idsd's amp agains the amp of the shiit vali 2? My headphones are the sennheiser hd 598 and I would like to add some tube sound in the chain but I am afraid that the amp on the micro is much better than the amp in vali 2, I mean there is a huge difference in price...

Haven't heard the Vali 2 but was very tempted to get one for myself. Every review I read was positive and, apparently, it even pairs well with the finicky HD800.

Vali 2 punches way above it's price point. I got the iTube instead (which is almost twice the Vali's price) and use a balanced amp after it but I can still use my Micro's headphone out at the same time. You could do the same since the Vali 2 would connect to the iDSD's rca out. 

As good as the iDSD's amp is, many others are (at least) slightly better. I suspect the Vali 2's amp would do very well compared to it. Schiit also has a 15-day return window.

May 18, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #6,247 of 9,047

Haven't heard the Vali 2 but was very tempted to get one for myself. Every review I read was positive and, apparently, it even pairs well with the finicky HD800.

Vali 2 punches way above it's price point. I got the iTube instead (which is almost twice the Vali's price) and use a balanced amp after it but I can still use my Micro's headphone out at the same time. You could do the same since the Vali 2 would connect to the iDSD's rca out. 

As good as the iDSD's amp is, many others are (at least) slightly better. I suspect the Vali 2's amp would do very well compared to it. Schiit also has a 15-day return window.

Got the Vali 2 and didn't like it. My unpopular opinion is that a lot of stuffs are overrated. It's rather hard to find a helpful critical review these days.

May 19, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #6,249 of 9,047
Surprising the IDSD -> LCD3 is liked the supped up desktop version of my portable rig Cowon P1 -> Westone ES60. The BurrBrown dacs in both DACs have similar sound signature which is thick and rich. Very enjoyable.

May 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #6,251 of 9,047
I understand that there may be some "preference" posting in this thread, but thought I would see if anyone else was in a similar situation...

I have Shure SE425 IEMs, and would like a DAC and headphone amp that is "transportable" from my home to the office and back. Playback will be from an iPhone/iPad using Onkyo HF Player. I have a budget of up to $500 out of pocket (less is better!) for both a DAC/amp AND a network streaming appliance (Planning on Raspberry Pi 3 plus Hifiberry Digi+ for SPDIF to receiver). I have a gift card to Amazon for $200 that will aid in this as well.

I am considering the following:
1) Buy demo Micro iDSD ($399) or new ($499) from 3rd party; buy RPi components from Amazon.
3) Buy Oppo HA-2 amp for $299 and RPi components from Amazon.
4) Buy Chord Mojo and RPi components from Amazon

Pros of Micro iDSD: Most power (?), great connection versatility (coax in/out, can be used as an SPDIF converter), potential for better IEM matching with the adjustable switches
Cons of Micro iDSD: Do I really "need" the power of the iDSD if I mainly get it for using the iEMatch settings? Using the RPi with the extra board for SPDIF creates redundancy with connectors on Micro iDSD.

Pros of Oppo HA-2: Cheaper, more portable, Doesn't need CCK for connecting to iDevice
Cons: Not as much connection versatility, risk of "hiss" with IEMs, not as powerful

Pros of Mojo: Just about as powerful as Micro iDSD, similar input connectivity options as Micro iDSD, more powerful than Oppo
Cons of Mojo: PRICE (most expensive), scattered reports of hiss with IEMs and "noises" during charging (some users got replacements, but I understand this could be small sample size)

So...understanding most people are here in this thread, I have seen some people with HA-2 and/or Mojo, and would love to hear inputs on this.

Thanks everyone!

May 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #6,252 of 9,047
Did anyone measured how many hours we can use iDSD on Normal Power mode while using in USB Power? I couldn't find any information on that.

It drains very slowly but it would be great information to learn how much time I get before it shut itself down. 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #6,253 of 9,047
Did anyone measured how many hours we can use iDSD on Normal Power mode while using in USB Power? I couldn't find any information on that.

It drains very slowly but it would be great information to learn how much time I get before it shut itself down. :D  

In normal mode. Probably forever. Depending what your USB port can provide...

May 19, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #6,254 of 9,047
In normal mode. Probably forever. Depending what your USB port can provide...

When I'm using it on ECO and shut the iDSD off, Blue charging light never comes but when I'm using it on Normal, the Blue led appears.

My USB isn't that bad. I'm using Asus Gene VII as mainboard. It's USB power should be better than the cheaper mainboards and laptops. Hmm... I really don't know... 
k701smile.gif

May 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #6,255 of 9,047

It drains very slowly but it would be great information to learn how much time I get before it shut itself down. 
biggrin.gif

There is a little brochure in the box and it states as follows;
ECO ~12 hours
Normal ~19 hours
Turbo ~6 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back