iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 13, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #6,226 of 9,047
Firmware and driver doesn't need to be in the same folder. In fact, you can delete the firmware file once update is completed.

Plug in the iDSD, turn it on, then run iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe again - Don't select or install firmware, just check if the program tell you which firmware you have on the iDSD. It should be 5.2.

Now go to Windows setting and uninstall iDSD USB driver, disconnect iDSD and restart your PC. Once PC restarted, install the USB driver, then plug in iDSD and check if the problem still exists. Also, check WIndows sound property and see iDSD is properly selected.

May 13, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #6,227 of 9,047

Hi,

We are ultimately trying effective a solution downstream (@ DAC) for what is an upstream issue (@ transport/source). We will nonethless keep trying but even vinyl has clicks and pops! 
atsmile.gif

Thank you for your effort and continuous support, I think all the transport/source I have tested and used have problems with that "ear piercing clicks" (windows pc, toshiba laptop, 17" early 2008 macbook pro, 13" 2011 macbook pro, sony xperia z5 premium, samsung note 3, samsung J7, Samsung Tab A, Acer Liquid X2) Still waiting for the release of onkyo DP-X1 here in our country, I'll be using it as my dedicated DAP. This 5.2 firmware update is a HUGE improvement especially in eliminating those "ear piercing clicks" when changing tracks. 

Ohhh those vinyl clicks and pops! Cassette tape hiss,... Good old happy memories, always put a smile on my ridiculous face :)

May 14, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #6,228 of 9,047
  Firmware and driver doesn't need to be in the same folder. In fact, you can delete the firmware file once update is completed.

Plug in the iDSD, turn it on, then run iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe again - Don't select or install firmware, just check if the program tell you which firmware you have on the iDSD. It should be 5.2.

Now go to Windows setting and uninstall iDSD USB driver, disconnect iDSD and restart your PC. Once PC restarted, install the USB driver, then plug in iDSD and check if the problem still exists. Also, check WIndows sound property and see iDSD is properly selected.

Thank you! Something changes! But... not clarity in sound at all.. BUT finally its VERY LOAD on a minimum level on eco mode, in turbo is very very load!!! Before it was very quiet sound without voice. Now at least i can hear the voice. Very powerful seems to be! 
So, I have done how did you said: 
1) I run iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe - just to check. Yes, it was 5.2
2) Uninstalled iDSD USB driver, and restarting PC
3) Installed again the USB driver.. but fails to install.
4) With the second attempt installed successful! 

From the settings is selected "2 - iFi (by AMR) HD + USB Audio" - so seems to be correct (not IDT)
On Foobar and AIMP is selected ASIO  by AMR HD USB Audio

So. the sound is without any bass, appeared voice and load! But the sound is... how to say... with a lot of distortion.. not clean.. 
Maybe something in the settings.... 
Had tried the turbo on and the IEMatch off - very very load, but the same - dirty sound.. 
Maybe to install everything one more time again? :) 

May 14, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #6,229 of 9,047
Thank you! Something changes! But... not clarity in sound at all.. BUT finally its VERY LOAD on a minimum level on eco mode, in turbo is very very load!!! Before it was very quiet sound without voice. Now at least i can hear the voice. Very powerful seems to be! 
1) I run [COLOR=333333]iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe [/COLOR]- just to check. Yes, it was 5.2
2) Uninstalled [COLOR=333333]iDSD USB driver, and restarting PC[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]3) Installed again the USB driver.. but fails to install.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]4) With the second attempt installed successful! [/COLOR]

From the settings is selected "2 - iFi (by AMR) HD + USB Audio" - so seems to be correct (not IDT)

So. the sound is without any bass, appeared voice and load! But the sound is... how to say... with a lot of distortion.. not clean.. 
Had tried the turbo on and the IEMatch off - very very load, but the same - dirty sound.. 

Are you using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapted plug for your headphones? Can you try a different one?

May 14, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #6,230 of 9,047
1) I run iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe - just to check. Yes, it was 5.2
2) Uninstalled iDSD USB driver, and restarting PC
3) Installed again the USB driver.. but fails to install.
4) With the second attempt installed successful! 

Is it the same when you are using Windows' Direct Sound?

May 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #6,232 of 9,047
Fix it! Found the problem! 
I went today to buy a OTG cable, as I said before, to check how is working with my galaxy s6. 
So, while checking the OTG cable in store, I accidentaly touched the 3.5 jack which is to 6.35 plug connected... 
The problem is: the 3.5 jack of my Sennheiser  was inserted to the end into 6.3 - that is how it should  be! BUT when I pulled the 3.5 from 6.3 a little - the sound was PERFECT! 
Pulled out a little bit, I mean - about 2mm. !!! But it is coming back easily... So, at home, I tested my original Galaxy headphones - the same - I need to pull them out a little..
Seems to be adapter plug 6.3 is the problem.. asap I will buy a new one, to see how is going.

PC
At home I have done the same - and everything works! Just need to pull the headphone jack about 2mm from the gold 6.3... 
In AIMP while playing - is flashing yellow light on micro ( i have maximised the HZ in the settings)
In Foobar, the same song - in green... seems to be the settings.. (buy default, no option to change) but this is the next step... 

NEXT: looking to buy Denon AH-D7100..  my sennheser in ear momentum 2.0 - good, but not enough .. (any suggestions?)
But I will try to find out the necessary components for Foobar.. and the right settings.
So, I am sorry to be boring and thank you everybody! 
I will buy a new jack6.3

May 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #6,234 of 9,047
Guys what sample size and mode are you using for your idsd? I've found that Standard mode and smaller size make for quite an improvement in smoothness

I use the max 8192 sample size and minimum latency. To my ears, I get more detail and speed but my PC is dedicated for audio. If you do other things on your computer while listening, Extra Safe mode has less pops and interference.

May 14, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #6,235 of 9,047

NEXT: looking to buy Denon AH-D7100..  my sennheser in ear momentum 2.0 - good, but not enough .. (any suggestions?)
But I will try to find out the necessary components for Foobar.. and the right settings.
So, I am sorry to be boring and thank you everybody! 
I will buy a new jack6.3

Why the D7100?

May 14, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #6,236 of 9,047
  Why the D7100?

Initially I was looking for something cheaper. For ath-m70x... I want only overears and only closed back. 
I heard a lot of positives about D7100.. Somebody recommended them to me.I am listening to metal, hope they are perfect for this.
Of course I need to test them first, I am not gonna buy them online without listening. Hope the micro iDSD drives them perfect.. 
And after.. a good player (not really expensive, around £500).. :) But first - headphones!
p.s, really happy with MIcro! But still need to learn all the settings. Cant understand what 'polarity' is doing :D

May 16, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #6,237 of 9,047
I was wondering, can I use Asio on Foobar, with iDSD while doing other stuff in PC.

When I use iDSD on Foobar with Asio, I can't hear anything else from my computer. I generally listen music while playing games on my PC. With iDSD's Asio drivers I can't do that. Is there a way to do that or should I keep using Windows sound? 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #6,238 of 9,047
  I was wondering, can I use Asio on Foobar, with iDSD while doing other stuff in PC.

When I use iDSD on Foobar with Asio, I can't hear anything else from my computer. I generally listen music while playing games on my PC. With iDSD's Asio drivers I can't do that. Is there a way to do that or should I keep using Windows sound? 
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole point of asio is exclusive mode which means you won't be able to use any other application with the micro. If you need to hear game sounds, you would have to use directsound which is not exclusive mode.

If you have a speaker connected or something else connected, the application might play into that. For example, chrome plays the laptop speakers if the default sound device is in exclusive mode.

May 16, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #6,239 of 9,047
  The whole point of asio is exclusive mode which means you won't be able to use any other application with the micro. If you need to hear game sounds, you would have to use directsound which is not exclusive mode.

If you have a speaker connected or something else connected, the application might play into that. For example, chrome plays the laptop speakers if the default sound device is in exclusive mode.

You mean, I can't play native DSD while playing games. I understand. I hoped there was a solution for this. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back