iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #6,286 of 9,047

iFi Quad DSD Sampler Album – Native DSD Music

We would like to thank our very kind friends at NativeDSDMusic.

To celebrate the launch of the Pro iCAN, they have offered this very special ‘sampler’ recorded in dsd256 (natively) for all our readers.

http://blog.nativedsd.com/nativedsd-presents-ifi-quad-dsd-sampler-album/

https://nativedsdpresents.nativedsd.com/albums/NDSD002-ifi-quad-dsd-sampler-album

The coupon code QuadDSD

The code is valid for three weeks only. The code gives a 100% discount. 

The music is as follows:

Track 1: Groovy and hypnotising percussion music..
Album & Artist:
• Yarlung Records: YAR 15195DSD – Smoke & Mirrors Percussion Ensemble
DSD Track:
• Vanish – track 1 - Udacrep Akubrad (Dorman) 8:41

Track 2: Jazz vocals and guitar, to dream away..
Album & Artist:
• Just Listen: JL002 – Thomas & Eva
DSD Track:
• 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit - track 5 - Early Autumn (Herman) 2:47

Track3 : Bach's famous Cello Suite, what a genius..
Album & Artist:
• Navis Classics: NC15003 - Joachim Eijlander
DSD Track:
• Bach: Cello Suites - track 1 - Prelude (Bach) 2:33

Track 4: 1,2,3 - 1,2,3 - Waltz with Chopin's wonderful piano music..
Album & Artist
• Eudora Records: EUDDR 1402 - Josep Colom
DSD Track:
• Dialogue: Mozart & Chopin – track 10 - Waltz in A Minor, Op. 34, No. 2
(Chopin) 5:58

Enjoy the tunes natively on your Stereo50, micro iDSD, micro iDAC2, nano iDSD!

Thank you very much NativeDSDMusic!
NativeDSD.com

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 3, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #6,288 of 9,047
I understand that there may be some "preference" posting in this thread, but thought I would see if anyone else was in a similar situation...

I have Shure SE425 IEMs, and would like a DAC and headphone amp that is "transportable" from my home to the office and back. Playback will be from an iPhone/iPad using Onkyo HF Player. I have a budget of up to $500 out of pocket (less is better!) for both a DAC/amp AND a network streaming appliance (Planning on Raspberry Pi 3 plus Hifiberry Digi+ for SPDIF to receiver). I have a gift card to Amazon for $200 that will aid in this as well.

I am considering the following:
1) Buy demo Micro iDSD ($399) or new ($499) from 3rd party; buy RPi components from Amazon.
3) Buy Oppo HA-2 amp for $299 and RPi components from Amazon.
4) Buy Chord Mojo and RPi components from Amazon

Pros of Micro iDSD: Most power (?), great connection versatility (coax in/out, can be used as an SPDIF converter), potential for better IEM matching with the adjustable switches
Cons of Micro iDSD: Do I really "need" the power of the iDSD if I mainly get it for using the iEMatch settings? Using the RPi with the extra board for SPDIF creates redundancy with connectors on Micro iDSD.

Pros of Oppo HA-2: Cheaper, more portable, Doesn't need CCK for connecting to iDevice
Cons: Not as much connection versatility, risk of "hiss" with IEMs, not as powerful

Pros of Mojo: Just about as powerful as Micro iDSD, similar input connectivity options as Micro iDSD, more powerful than Oppo
Cons of Mojo: PRICE (most expensive), scattered reports of hiss with IEMs and "noises" during charging (some users got replacements, but I understand this could be small sample size)

So...understanding most people are here in this thread, I have seen some people with HA-2 and/or Mojo, and would love to hear inputs on this.

Thanks everyone!
while the oppo doesn't sound bad, it's not in the league of the other two. Even if there's no hiss it sounds sterile. I prefer my idac2 to the mojo, but it's my ears anyway. I have not received my shipped idsd yet so I can't tell how good it is

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #6,289 of 9,047
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything about it.

My idsd micro will take roughly a full second to start playing music after it has been not playing music, but still powered on and connected, for less than a minute. Is this normal? Is there anyway to reduce this delay?

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #6,290 of 9,047

My idsd micro will take roughly a full second to start playing music after it has been not playing music, but still powered on and connected, for less than a minute. Is this normal? Is there anyway to reduce this delay?

windows / mac / phone?? and what version?

but if in windows
1) goto control panel > power options > change plan settings(on the current option selected) > change advanced power settings > USB settings > USB selective suspend > and disable

2) goto control panel > Device manager > universal serial bus controllers(in the bottom) > right click on everything below this section an select properties one by one > select power management > deselect "allow this computer to turn of device to save power" > click ok and continue down the list. (not all will have a power management option, just skip and move on)

also try to update to the newest firmware http://ifi-audio.com/micro-idsd-ifi-xmos-firmware/
use the program installed with the driver to put the firmware on your micro, don't have it playing anything when doing this (C:\Program Files\iFi\USB_HD_Audio_Driver\iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe)

after all is said an done reboot your computer just so you are sure that all the changes are in effect..
hope this works for you

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #6,291 of 9,047

My understanding was that little delay was so there was no "popping sound" when starting to play music.

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #6,293 of 9,047
  well that is not true... if you push pause and then play immediately after, it will just start playing instantly without any pop or anything

I still think it has something to do with that and someone with some more knowledge on the subject will probably have a better detailed answer for you.There is a delay on the amps.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #6,295 of 9,047
just want to ask members who've owned both the mojo and iFi micro iDSD
....why did you keep what you did?

i have the micro iDSD, with .7 mercury cable and new ipurifier 2.
and am considering selling it all (all excellent condition, lightly used).

instead i'm thinking of buying a mojo to do it all:
small enough to take on the road with my ipod touch...as well as work wotj my laptop as an dac/amp...
or be a  preamp/dac to my headphone tube amp.
...mostly stream...have 500 itunes...getting slowly into exploring flac downloads.
(not dsd as too limited the offerings).

my cans are nothing too too difficult to drive: sony mdr7520...senn hd650.

just something nice and simple and versatile about the mojo....i could always keep my
newly purchased dragonfly red as a backup.

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #6,296 of 9,047

small enough to take on the road with my ipod touch...as well as work wotj my laptop as an dac/amp...
...mostly stream...have 500 itunes...getting slowly into exploring flac downloads.

just something nice and simple and versatile about the mojo....i could always keep my

Mojo..
When I asked about the power into 16 ohm  I got no answer (ignored) until I made a claim that the FiiO e18 was more potent.
When I had battery issues or thought I did the OP and the rep skipped my question posts, never reached out via PM or otherwise.
Relic (who was better than the rep's and OP) played middleman and the rep was thinking I was a troll with a fake 2nd account. My item was a registered one for warranty.
Have they updated post #3 to include warranty details and procedure which is more valuable than interviews.

Not a great...actually poor experience. In the end the power and volume control did not match my listening style. The sound is amazing though.

To be fair...

@iFi audio or associate contacted my via PM 3 months ago and asked my private email and said somebody was going to contact me.
No idea what about?

Never got the contact.

Somebody a month ago did mail me but they really seemed to have no idea what was going on?

iFi,

You make great gear and have decent service. Don't screw that by asking for private emails and then doing nothing.  Not cool.

Both companies need some polishing in the communication dept. but in the end the iFi micro fits my needs better than the Mojo

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #6,297 of 9,047
Yep I can concur that every answer that I've got from iFi audio has that "marketing feel" to it. And if I ask 3 questions then at least 1 will get ignored. I really wanted to ask them for a review unit (I do write stuffs for tech sites in my country) before buying new ones but after these replies I decided to buy used units from Singapore instead.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #6,298 of 9,047

Let me know if you end up selling the ip2.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #6,299 of 9,047

To me both are great pieces of equipment.  

I do side by side all the time, and seriously the differences are so minute that you won't be able to tell the difference once you get into the music ( I can get lost very easily).

I mainly use the idsd as a desktop.  The versatility and power can't be match for the size.  Don't know how HBB does it, but I can't consider this to be portable.

The mojo, I mainly use as a portable. I don't have to say what haven't already been said about this little thing.  I'm thinking about selling mine cuz its still a little bulky for my taste.

Whatever you decided isn't going to be a bad choice.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #6,300 of 9,047

To me both are great pieces of equipment.  

I do side by side all the time, and seriously the differences are so minute that you won't be able to tell the difference once you get into the music ( I can get lost very easily).

I mainly use the idsd as a desktop.  The versatility and power can't be match for the size.  Don't know how HBB does it, but I can't consider this to be portable.

The mojo, I mainly use as a portable. I don't have to say what haven't already been said about this little thing.  I'm thinking about selling mine cuz its still a little bulky for my taste.

Whatever you decided isn't going to be a bad choice.

thanks chillaxing...that is the gig with the mojo: given all the stellar accolades, I sort of feel like I'm missing something if I don't buy one, lol.
people also tell me to try it and listen to nothing else for 2 weeks...then go back to your other sources to find the diffs.
heck i might be like many on here: have an iFi micro iDSD, and a red dragonfly as a backup...and the chord mojo.
but more and more i'm thinking of just keeping two: most likely mojo (if it pans out well) and the DF red.

more and more i'm just into lighter gear with less hookups...i'm not a hardcore audiophile who needs top end stuff.

one last thing: for those of us using windows any good software programs to check out?
aurdivana is great i hear for apple...but what of windows based?  Roon is $$$, Jriver still exists i know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back