iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 17, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #3,511 of 9,047
  side related note:
have a cool demo unit of the iFi iPower 9V which arrived yesterday.

since this is the 9V, and not the 5V version of the product,  can't use it with any custom split USB cables for quiet USB power legs.

just waiting on a couple product arrivals such as UpTone Audio USB Regen and perhaps iCan to try out with iPower.
more info in the coming week or so....

I'm thinking of getting the 5v iPower for the idsd micro (using a Mikrotik usb power injector).

Not sure if it'll make a huge difference since the Micro has internal battery but I plan to try it using a split usb cable for data only to motherboard.

Don't think the 5v is avail yet but I'd love to hear if any version of the iPower makes a big enough difference.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,512 of 9,047
I'm thinking of getting the 5v iPower for the idsd micro (using a Mikrotik usb power injector).

Not sure if it'll make a huge difference since the Micro has internal battery but I plan to try it using a split usb cable for data only to motherboard.

Don't think the 5v is avail yet but I'd love to hear if any version of the iPower makes a big enough difference.

I got the iUSB Power plus Gemini cable a week ago for use with a 6 month old, well run in Micro IDSD. I also had the similar doubts about the difference it would make but can report the difference is easily noticeable and well worth it in my case. I'm not sure how much specific impact the iUSB power has to sound vs Gemini cable though as I got them both at the same time. Bass in particular is quite a bit cleaner to the extent that the XBass switch of the iDSD can now be used, whereas before I found it made the sound a tad too rich and generally left it off.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #3,513 of 9,047
I got the iUSB Power plus Gemini cable a week ago for use with a 6 month old, well run in Micro IDSD. I also had the similar doubts about the difference it would make but can report the difference is easily noticeable and well worth it in my case. I'm not sure how much specific impact the iUSB power has to sound vs Gemini cable though as I got them both at the same time. Bass in particular is quite a bit cleaner to the extent that the XBass switch of the iDSD can now be used, whereas before I found it made the sound a tad too rich and generally left it off.

I noticed improvement in bass but also soundstage (now use the xbass and 3d less as well).

Adding ferrite cores to each end of the usb cable increased soundstage even further.

That got me to finally order a gemini cable and hope separating data/power will add a bit more.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #3,514 of 9,047
after using iFi micro iDSD almost exclusively with IEMs for months, took it to the office for 
30min of back n forth connecting HE-400i to:

modi 2 uber + Lyr 2
and
iFi micro iDSD

must say I'm still impressed by iDSD, it's a great sounding pairing!  

would iDSD micro be my end game and completely replace a separate DAC+Amp on the home desktop, maybe not.
would iDSD micro be the perfect rig at a work office, yes! easily for the money.

the schiit stack delivered more natural sounding presentation likely due to the slight tube warmth of lyr 2. with larger overall appearance to the music soundstage.  instrument location was great, vocals super clear.

but iDSD didn't miss out on much- had good bass and depth.   especially with the subtle Xbass switch on.
maybe the music had a bit less "body or width" at certain times, but that was hard to pin point.
vocals slightly more forward on iDSD micro, but instrument placement was still good.

the 3D switch on iDSD micro actually made soundstage more narrow with HE-400i, so I preferred that turned off.
iDSD micro Amp settings were at "Normal" with IEMatch off.  volume got very loud at 11am on the dial, blistering loud at 1.
tons of power to spare.

can't imagine anyone would be unhappy with iDSD micro unless you had a lot more money to spend,
or somehow the synergy with the iDSD amp section + headphones sounded a little too thin or sparse.

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #3,515 of 9,047
Originally Posted by jexby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't imagine anyone would be unhappy with iDSD micro unless you had a lot more money to spend,
or somehow the synergy with the iDSD amp section + headphones sounded a little too thin or sparse.

I guess that the ones unhappy are the ones that haven't come across the right way of driving the iDSD, which changes its sound considerably depending on s/w upsampling/converting/optimizing, in combination with its own filter settings. And it realy shines with the higher sampling rates. So if someone asks me "What does the iDSD sound like?", my answer is "Which one of dozens of iDSD sounds would you like me to comment on?" 

Furthermore, I agree with some comments that the headphone amp section is a little more forward than line out, so it probably mates better with neutral/darker phones - my Senn HD600s are a great match. And even though Economy setting has more than enough volume for the HD600s, it does sound brighter-in-good-way and more dynamic when in Normal mode.

Back to the iDSD (analogue DSD) filters, I'm torn between the more dynamic Extended mode vs smoother Extreme mode. It doesn't help comparisons that Extreme is considerably quieter. My remaining open question is how a mere filter can change the overall volume by such a large amount?

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,518 of 9,047
Could please tell me anyone details about the amplifer section from the micro iDSD? What chip etc. is used? For the dac section I know is a dual Texas Instruments DSD1793 chip used.

Big thanks.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3,519 of 9,047
  Could please tell me anyone details about the amplifer section from the micro iDSD? What chip etc. is used? For the dac section I know is a dual Texas Instruments DSD1793 chip used.

Big thanks.

If I am not mistaken, it has dual OPA1642 for gain and TPA6120A2 for buffer.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #3,523 of 9,047
Hi @hykhleif
! How did the 846 pair with the ifi micro and what settings did u use?

My 846 sound wonderful with Micro, a little bright with standdard filter to MY tast but nothing major beuase I use them with 3D on, which has adds little treble tilt a trade-off for better sound stage, IMHO. I leave the bass off, there are plenty of bass with 846 already. I use the mid sensitivity setting because I can't turn up the volume past 9:00 position when using off position,it is a safety measure more than anyting else.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #3,525 of 9,047
My 846 sound wonderful with Micro, a little bright with standdard filter to MY tast but nothing major beuase I use them with 3D on, which has adds little treble tilt a trade-off for better sound stage, IMHO. I leave the bass off, there are plenty of bass with 846 already. I use the mid sensitivity setting because I can't turn up the volume past 9:00 position when using off position,it is a safety measure more than anyting else.

that would my answer as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back